Military Exoskeleton

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
TdC said:
and me. I shouted "GET AWAY FROM HER YOU BITCH!!!!" and scared a cow-worker into spilling his coffee.
alien.jpg

(for one day only, until i get new hosting :eek: )

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Deadmanwalking said:
I think it is more for moving the troops and equipment needed to places usually reserved for choppers or parachuting. IE A bloody big mountain, that only the lightest troops can get up.

Hmm, billion dollar power armor project, OR BUY SOME F*CKIN DONKEYS! Jesus.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Insane said:
nobody else suddenly think of Battletech? :eek6:

Actually I did.

In fact I started browsing the web for a Battletech/Mechwarrior picture when I came accross a fan site and got interested, having been into such types of boardgames way back.

Then I realised I have an almost-mint condition used Battletech Second Edition game sitting on my shelf, and got distracted looking around eBay ...

Saw a mint unopened Battletech Second Edition going for only $20 though :(

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
DaGaffer said:
Hmm, billion dollar power armor project, OR BUY SOME F*CKIN DONKEYS! Jesus.

Donkeys tend not to fight very well :(

And it will also be used for actual combat situations. The reason it is costing so much is the pressures it will be put under. It is designed to allow the soldiers to carry bigger guns. More loads, run faster and withstand more enemy fire.

They are not going to be big bulky Alien type mech machines. Rather streamlined and attached to the body rather then something the soldiers sit in. So no big belching exhausts of smoke and clumsy overly large limbs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1112411.stm

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Deadmanwalking said:
They are not going to be big bulky Alien type mech machines. Rather streamlined and attached to the body rather then something the soldiers sit in. So no big belching exhausts of smoke and clumsy overly large limbs.
dawm :( thats what makes mechs and whatnot so much fun, their imtimidating size and stature... hell if you saw a guy in a small suit, or an aliens(tm) powerloader, which would you run from first? :eek6:

xane: you might love the Battletech novels and the Mechwarrior novels then, my mates been reading them for a while (he got them from the belfast Forbidden Planet) and they are a decent read.. but you have to be savvy on battletech to really enjoy them.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Deadmanwalking said:
Donkeys tend not to fight very well :(

And it will also be used for actual combat situations. The reason it is costing so much is the pressures it will be put under. It is designed to allow the soldiers to carry bigger guns. More loads, run faster and withstand more enemy fire.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1112411.stm

Well, that's different ;)

I look forward to the civilian version - it would make a Segway look a bit lame.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Tbh it seems most like that exoskeleton from Dark Angel.

Dax

Fledgling Freddie
BIONIC PANTS
Hybrid Assistive Legs strap on to human legs like a pair of bionic pants. They are controlled by motor signals from the brain, and have the potential to allow wheelchair-bound people to walk again.

Made by Tsukuba University, the legs consist of two thin metallic bars that run down the outer sides of the wearer's legs, and four motors attached at the knee and hip joints. The wearer straps on the legs, along with a backpack containing a computer, and places eight sensor tips on his or her own legs. Those sensors pick up the signals the wearer's brain sends to order the leg muscles to move, and uses them to activate the motors in the artificial Legs.

"Humans should do what they are good at, and let robots do what they're good at," says developer Yoshiyuki Sankai, a professor at Tsukuba University who plans to start selling the legs to hospitals and nursing-care centres late next year. "The era of collaboration between robots and humans has come." The price for a pair of Legs: at least ¥1 million.

Taken from http://www.ocnus.net/cgi-bin/exec/view.cgi?archive=37&num=9264

This kind of technology already exists, it just needs to be adapted to military situations.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Why dont they just hire lots of Sherpa's. The guys who go up Everest carrying peoples packs

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
Sounds very interesting.. wouldn't mind a really light and unnoticeable one myself :D
Brynn said:
Like the Yellow power loader in Aliens?
Not quite the same size I believe ;)

Mellow

Loyal Freddie
Exoskeletons will never be a reality, I mean they say it will be in service 5 years after that. But everyone knows there will be bugs, or people will end up losing control of their limbs mid fire-fight.

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
you mean end up in very painfull positions? :flame:

(just passing by to teh daoc forum :eek: )

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Mellow said:
Exoskeletons will never be a reality, I mean they say it will be in service 5 years after that. But everyone knows there will be bugs, or people will end up losing control of their limbs mid fire-fight.

Gives the americans a brilliant excuse for freindly fire then.

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
The British have come-up with this robust and cost effective solution that matches the American invention:

Trolley4.jpeg

:D

The American one does allow the yanks to carry one or two extra bullets:

TrolleyBig.jpeg

:D

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
Heh, soz, didnt realise it was old. I rely on Janes for all me defence technology stories and they tend to save stuff up and release stuff as fillers in slow weeks.

Onto a slightly different subject regarding the US military. They've been using the B2 to drop upto about 9 smart weapons to attack 9 different targets in a single pass from a single plane. All very clever stuff. They're now producing smaller bombs as they realise you dont need to drop a barn full of explosives on a truck to render it inoperable and they did a test with 70 smaller smart munitions (cant remember which one) against 70 different targets from about 50 miles standoff range and got a 100% hit rate.
In the 2nd world war they'd send 2000 bombers to ensure the destruction of a single factory sized target, and now this.

Of course, if they took their heads of of their arses and treated the world with a little more respect they wouldnt have to spend $450 billion a year on stuff to twat the peons with.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
But twating peons is fun! You can just see george bush laughing over the videos now! (2dtv style of course)

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
If it were voice activated the start up code should be "get away from her you bitch"

Thing is if the British army got them not only would they not get them until the end of the conflict, not only would they have to give them up to somebody else, but Hoon would probably make you buy your own.

Can we modify this :twak: with a exoskeleton?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its inevitable really, the one thing that soldiers really need lots of, and can't carry lots of, is water. Having one of these suits helping you carry enough water so you can travel longer is a real bonus.

Personally I reckon everything we hear about has already been worked upon, probably more than 10 years ago.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
So initially I'm wrong, then I'm right. Make your mind up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom