Microsoft Surface

Kuhan

Loyal Freddie
Looks kl, so easy to transfer music onto it and no waiting for a USB to pick it up.

Solo

Fledgling Freddie
Great imagination in that, but would hate to have to teach the older generation how to use it if it became the norm.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
tbh i think it will be easier than learning windows xp/vista

And it has unlimited uses, can use it in restaurants etc

i think its a long way away from splitting the bill etc. How can it tell you have put a camera on? and how will the camera know?

Perform

Fledgling Freddie
its a good idea indeed, massive computer power needed there though :)

only a few in the world :p

tbh i think it will be easier than learning windows xp/vista

And it has unlimited uses, can use it in restaurants etc

i think its a long way away from splitting the bill etc. How can it tell you have put a camera on? and how will the camera know?

Was wondering that, you'll prolly need to get some special Microsoft Camera with sensors and shit on. But if this surface thing takes off, could imagine many companies putting sensors or whatever on their cameras, phones, etc.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Looks good, but it's going to be so expensive that only a few places may go for it. At $5,000 to $10,000, can any companies justify the expense of glorified tables?

Even if it did eventually come down in price for the average consumer, would you spend hundreds of pounds on something like this?

leviathane

Part of the furniture
would be crap to watch on, it's a table after all so viewing position ain't exactly the best.

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie
As always.... microsoft is using their Copy-n-paste function...
Multi-Touch Interaction Research

those are the people microsoft are working with to make this commercially available. what are you trying to say, "how dare they provide support and funding to a bright new company with an amazing idea for a share of the profits" ? :p

less half-baked microsoft bashing. appreciate the technology for what it is.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Technology in the hands of Microsoft.....it's like arabian replicas of perfume. The name is there, but it's shit.

Let's see if a real company like apple does such a thing ^^

Imagine all the tables in restaurants going blue or getting hacked, lol ^^

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Should really have posted this back when I was told about it but I guess this is as good a thread as any to show :)

TED | Talks | Jeff Han: Unveiling the genius of multi-touch interface design (video)

The prices surely have gone down; back then just 10 months ago they were talking of them costing $30,000 iirc and now people are saying $10,000? Some pretty nice stuff they've bought in the more up to date vids you guys are posting though, very nice.

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie
As microsoft said on the video, it's going to start out as a gadget for the rich/business, but gradually as with all things (how about the computer for example) it will come down in price until there's one in every hope. plus by then the technology will hopefully be more advanced and bug free.

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
The main "cool" part is the multi-touch display. The rest of the stuff you can pretty much do already using a standard touch screen and some RFID tags :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
This is just a glorified touch screen. Big deal.

They will need to make this crystal scratch-proof / coffee spill water proof etc

Looks nice but don't see the NEED for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom