Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard for an estimated $70billion

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Blizzard/Activision won't exist for much longer, Microsoft wants the IPs and perhaps some development houses, that's it.

Unfortunately, Kotick will get a nice fat golden parachute.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Blizzard/Activision won't exist for much longer, Microsoft wants the IPs and perhaps some development houses, that's it.

Unfortunately, Kotick will get a nice fat golden parachute.

Aye, doesn't deserve it but at least they get shot of the cunt.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I don't think it'll make much difference, might enable a proper clear out.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
not surprised tbh, rumours floating Sony is going to buy out Square Enix so Microsoft likely want to keep Sony happy.
All a placeholder anyway, days nothing about the future.

Anyway, Microsoft are smart enough to know they need an equal if they're going to carve up gaming like iOS/Android have on phones. Sony would be credible, Nintendo wouldn't cut it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I still dream of a new Sega console. Can't see it ever happening.

It's a shame there isn't really a market for "PC" consoles like Steam's effort a few years back.

Edit, yeah I realise Xbox is kind of just a budget PC and so it PS5, but I want something that I can buy off the shelf, that has a bespoke cooling system, kind of like the PS5 internals but with expandable graphics/ram/processor. Fed up of having a gynockapod PC case next to me.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I still dream of a new Sega console. Can't see it ever happening.

It's a shame there isn't really a market for "PC" consoles like Steam's effort a few years back.

Edit, yeah I realise Xbox is kind of just a budget PC and so it PS5, but I want something that I can buy off the shelf, that has a bespoke cooling system, kind of like the PS5 internals but with expandable graphics/ram/processor. Fed up of having a gynockapod PC case next to me.

I mean.. you can?

Random google link.

But yeah, I've always wondered why there hasn't been a PC developed that's ridiculously dumbed down to make it dumb dumb easy to replace stuff if necessary.

Like that phone that was on a kickstarter years ago where you could replace parts of your phone.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've always wondered why there hasn't been a PC developed that's ridiculously dumbed down to make it dumb dumb easy to replace stuff if necessary.
Because PCs need all of those parts - so if you make them peter-and-jane colour compatible so idiots could put it together like jenga then each manufacturer has to buy in and design and manufacture these things. So fuck that.

PC's are PC's - and some people can build 'em (it's pretty easy tbh). And if you don't like it - buy off the shelf from someone who knows how to do that or get your "pretty but a bit shit" PC kick in console form.

Syri

FH is my second home
But yeah, I've always wondered why there hasn't been a PC developed that's ridiculously dumbed down to make it dumb dumb easy to replace stuff if necessary.
PCs have already been dumbed down a LOT from where they used to be. My first PC was a 486, you had to set flick switches to set the speed to match the CPU you were putting in, or it wouldn't run at the right speed, and may not run at all. You had lots of thick and rigid ribbon cables all over the place, and a lot of the connectors could be put in wrongly so you had to make sure you knew which end pin 1 was at. Now most of the connectors only go 1 way, or are reversible, and more has been integrated onto the motherboard, so you don't need separate LAN and sound cards. The only real complicated part now is the front panel connectors, which really should have been replaced with a standardised connector by now.
The only real way you could simplify things would be to just have some custom casing around certain parts to guide them into the right slots. The problem with doing that though is that you make it harder to maintain things like air flow, and in some cases, may end up having to use metals that are less conductive as they might have to be designed to be exposed to the elements more, or be made harder wearing to prevent accidental breakages if mis-handled. Then on top of all of that, you've also got to agree a standard, and get everyone on board with it, to make sure everything is compatible.
The current method may not be really simple, but it is still fairly easy with just a little research. Some guides will try to make things sound more worrying than they really are though, such as static electricity, which is a danger but nowhere near as much as some make it out to be, and is very easily countered if you are worried.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
PCs have already been dumbed down a LOT from where they used to be. My first PC was a 486, you had to set flick switches to set the speed to match the CPU you were putting in, or it wouldn't run at the right speed, and may not run at all. You had lots of thick and rigid ribbon cables all over the place, and a lot of the connectors could be put in wrongly so you had to make sure you knew which end pin 1 was at. Now most of the connectors only go 1 way, or are reversible, and more has been integrated onto the motherboard, so you don't need separate LAN and sound cards. The only real complicated part now is the front panel connectors, which really should have been replaced with a standardised connector by now.
The only real way you could simplify things would be to just have some custom casing around certain parts to guide them into the right slots. The problem with doing that though is that you make it harder to maintain things like air flow, and in some cases, may end up having to use metals that are less conductive as they might have to be designed to be exposed to the elements more, or be made harder wearing to prevent accidental breakages if mis-handled. Then on top of all of that, you've also got to agree a standard, and get everyone on board with it, to make sure everything is compatible.
The current method may not be really simple, but it is still fairly easy with just a little research. Some guides will try to make things sound more worrying than they really are though, such as static electricity, which is a danger but nowhere near as much as some make it out to be, and is very easily countered if you are worried.
I for one do not miss ribbon cables

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Looks like they will only need a handful of people to pay to win in the new diablo game in full to earn all that money back

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom