Microsoft are watching your HDD

M

Mellow-

I was going to post this at around lunchtime, but I thought, someone else will probably do it for me. :)

My opinion is, it's bad, but I don't care.

W

Will

I never liked Windows XP anyway. People said I was being paranoid...

...they were probably right, but then things like this turn up.

D

Durzel

I'm with Mellow, I couldn't care either way whether they report on installed apps or not.

It's not like any of us are MI5 operatives is it.

P

PR.

I'd hate to have that job of "Chief reviewer of 100,000,000 anonymous software list logs" :rolleyes:

C

.Cask

Well the only problem I can see is if it allows MS to detect pirated apps. But if this was a viable concern, I would have thought they'd be spreading the word far and wide that this is being done. As for piracy, prevention is definately better than cure as people can't buy legit copies of the software from a jail cell :)

M

Mellow-

Originally posted by Durzel
I'm with Mellow ...

... and the good thing is, his hourly rate is quite acceptable considering.

R

raw

Yeah i read earlier, i am not suprised in all honesty i've avoided auto update on this pc for obvious reasons for quite sometime ;)

R

retardo

I've been avoiding WinXP like the plague since it came out (I'm a sysadmin, and have had it around for ages), sticking with Win2k, for reasons like this.

However, we have one XP machine at work, and I have to say I'm tempted to upgrade now, for one reason only.... Have you seen how fast it starts up!?!?

I have 2 machines side by side in the office, and I turn them both on at the same time. A 1.8GHz pentium4, and a 1GHz P3. Now, I know the cpu speed difference is quite large, but a p3 1GHz isnt slow, really. Both have ATA100 disks and 256meg ram.

The XP machine has me up, running, and browsing before the Win2k machine has even presented me a logon screen.

Accounting for machine speed, I reckon XP is considerably faster. Any thoughts?
Please put me off, I dont wanna install spyware :-{

R.

R

retardo

...and before anyone says Install Linux, this is it now.
But I still need a games machine.

R.

D

doh_boy

don't quote me on this but I've been told that after win 98 ms started by-passing the bios it might be that xp has gone a bit further and thus doesn't need so much setting up

also I think that it uses less system files as well so less stuff to do.

I dislike doing anything in xp, I think I'm getting a block. :/

P

PR.

Windows XP only loads drivers and files it needs to initially start the rest is background loaded.

There is also a tool which makes it even faster by re-performing the driver acceleration check, this allows windows to start multiple devices at the same time, whereas Windows 95-2000 simply started each device one after another. All this helps increase the speed.

Windows 2000 is a good OS don't get me wrong, but if I had the choice I would go with XP. You do realise that when you installed SP3 for 2k that you agreed in the EULA that you would allow Windows to surrender information to MS?

P

PR.

Originally posted by dysfunction
I dont use windows update so I'm safe!

:D

No, your OS is full of security vulnerabilities and instabilities that have been patched.

And you have turned Auto-update off, yes?

;)

W

Will

PR is right, running Windows without using the Security Updates is like going to visit a hospital of tropical diseases without taking any vaccinactions first...and then french kissing all the patients.

Y

Yaka

lets go chuck pig shite all ms employees an bill gates

M

Mellow-

Originally posted by retardo
The XP machine has me up, running, and browsing before the Win2k machine has even presented me a logon screen.

Accounting for machine speed, I reckon XP is considerably faster. Any thoughts?

You're completely correct XP boots up a lot faster than other M$ OS's because it is newer.

I also don't agree with people not using the windows update, it's there to make the system better. But some people just don't use it because they are paranoid :p

T

Teh Krypt

Originally posted by Yaka
lets go chuck pig shite all ms employees an bill gates

Yes! Lets do it.. Damini will pay for the flights.

Users who are viewing this thread