Impressed Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Love it, just spent about 3 hours in the starter area. Feels good sneaking and feels good attacking head on.

Will certainly keep me going until Fallout 4.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Love it, just spent about 3 hours in the starter area. Feels good sneaking and feels good attacking head on.

Will certainly keep me going until Fallout 4.
Yeah got it completed the first couple bits and got to the motherbase. Am currently engaged in mad max atm tho

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Yeah, same here. Picked it up at a discount and it's pretty entertaining so far. Bloody impressed at the graphics engine but less impressed at the interface seeming to expect a controller for everything.

Also I suspect my tactic of "sneak a bit, get spotted, say fuck-it, stand up, blast everyone in the face" isn't really how it's meant to be played :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yeah, same here. Picked it up at a discount and it's pretty entertaining so far. Bloody impressed at the graphics engine but less impressed at the interface seeming to expect a controller for everything.

Also I suspect my tactic of "sneak a bit, get spotted, say fuck-it, stand up, blast everyone in the face" isn't really how it's meant to be played :)
Aye cba to sneak it all myself. Read on line you can guns blaze it and it forgives you.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It doesn't make any difference except you lose out on points bonuses (and maybe income?) Only done the first set of missions so far.

And yeah, the interface is terrible, such a polished game elsewhere, its baffling.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Are you really surprised by that? It's been primarily a console game for almost 20 years now.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I wouldn't put that on console games, japanese games tend to have awful uis.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I wouldn't put that on console games, japanese games tend to have awful uis.

True, this is certainly right up there with the original Dark Souls PC release for worst KB interface / control system.

Hold F for binoculars (no toggle, wtf?), then press V for Zoom. Could they have picked a more awkward combo?

Last edited:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Are you really surprised by that? It's been primarily a console game for almost 20 years now.

I am yes because the rest of it is so excellently polished, I still can't get over how good it looks and runs. The options menus themselves are good, very thorough, tons of graphical options etc, its just the fact you have to control them with up, down, enter etc that is is really odd, awkward to navigate.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
True, this is certainly right up there with the original Dark Souls PC release for worst KB interface / control system.

Hold F for binoculars (no toggle, wtf?), then press V for Zoom. Could they have picked a more awkward combo?

You can zoom with your mouse wheel but its still a bit laborious. Infinite scroll wheel mice (whatever they are) work with it apparently.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
20 hours in, 18% complete. Seems like a long'un. Really enjoying it so far.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
My cousin was a big part of the first two Hitman games, engine and graphic wise, but by the time they were beginning to make the third one he was degraded to make the ui because they could outsource the other parts. So he basically said fuck it and didn't give two shits about how the ui turned out. I suspect most ui programmers feel that way

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
85 hours in.

66% complete.

Easily game of the year, possibly game of the decade. The attention to detail is ridiculous, down to having different plug sockets depending on the area you are in, Cyprus at the start has UK 3 pin sockets. Spending 10 mins on each mission deciding how you are going to approach it, checking guards equipment, range, what their patrol route is, which way they are facing etc. The story is OKish in an action movie kind of way too.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
85 hours in.

66% complete.

Easily game of the year, possibly game of the decade. The attention to detail is ridiculous, down to having different plug sockets depending on the area you are in, Cyprus at the start has UK 3 pin sockets. Spending 10 mins on each mission deciding how you are going to approach it, checking guards equipment, range, what their patrol route is, which way they are facing etc. The story is OKish in an action movie kind of way too.
Completed mad kax on a little over thirty hours. Without getting anywhere near 100% this is my next game. But damn uncharted has ben released

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Finished it, all missions complete, missing a few weapon upgrades. 100 hours and some great story moments, especially surrounding Quiet.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Completed drakes fortune. Two drakes to complete. And completed mad max. Still not gone back to this yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom