Metal Detecting

Damini

Part of the furniture
Does anybody here do it? Is it easy to get into? Is it a pointless exercise unless you get the bestest most expesnive detecter?

It's my latest whim. I want to find treasure, but failing that, I quite like the walks in the country and digging holes part.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Heh, now I discover Maljonic started the exact same thread a year ago. So, Mal, did your whim pay off?

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Oh dear.

You might find some discard switchblades in your front garden ;)

Never done it, but it seems lacking in excitement.. a whole lot of walking and a whole lot of excitement over 5p, or a nail...

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Use it near abandoned buildings that are likely to have been inhabited by druggies. You'll live life on the edge searching for needles!

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Never done it, but it seems lacking in excitement.. a whole lot of walking and a whole lot of excitement over 5p, or a nail...

It's not so much about finding stuff but it's very relaxing especially if you find a nice scenic area to roam around, and it turns into a hobby so you're out getting exercise but still enjoying yourself.

The success rate is quite low though and being forced to dig a hole where you're told only to find a can of Irn Bru can be quite disheartening. One of my step-grandad's mates has quite alot of old coins and things from his hunts. We used to do it around Hurley area in Berkshire which is quite rural. The countryside is the place to be, I reckon. I'm sure there are publications out there recommending places to go and stuff like that.

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
It's not so much about finding stuff but it's very relaxing especially if you find a nice scenic area to roam around, and it turns into a hobby so you're out getting exercise but still enjoying yourself.

The success rate is quite low though and being forced to dig a hole where you're told only to find a can of Irn Bru can be quite disheartening. One of my step-grandad's mates has quite alot of old coins and things from his hunts. We used to do it around Hurley area in Berkshire which is quite rural. The countryside is the place to be, I reckon. I'm sure there are publications out there recommending places to go and stuff like that.

Aye rural fields and the like would be nifty, especially if you get a good historical map and find some ancient towns, some metal detecting over those areas would be far more exciting, even if you only end up with rubbish, at least you have a chance at finding something historically interesting, rather than a can of Irn Bru :p

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
ive never done it but my brush with metal detecting was quite exciting indeed.

i was walking in the park when i was a nipper and some guy said "go over there, ive dug summit up, you can have it". oh great i thought, burried treasure. i got my treasure home and used any means possible to knock all the sediment off.

oh wow its a grenade! i gave it to a certain person who works in the police force so he could go get it identified at work. we thought it was dud considering it never exploded when i was twatting it with a hammer. he was told they would have to blow his car up under controlled explosion. not liking the sound of that, he retrieved it and lay it on the ground so a remotely controlled robot could take control. it was then safely exploded and he nearly lost his job.
apparently it was powerful enough to level my house and anything attached to it, oopsie :D

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
you're not allowed to metal detect around historical archeological sites....for fear you might dig up something and in the process ruin something else....

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
The only time I dig for metal is sticking a hand in meh pocket looking for beer tokens :)

Though I have a grenade story - my mate and I went for a day out with his mother and my mother to visit his grandad I think it was - we were only about 6/7yrs old I think at the time, we took toys etc as we were there all day. We left and came home, a couple of days later my mother got a call from my mates mother pissing herself laughing - her dad (the grandad for those not paying attention) had gone to get something from under his couch and only came across a hand grenade - he called emergency services etc and they sent out a bomb disposal team, who after setting up etc realised that it was in fact my toy hand grenade which I must have left there those few days before....... my bad :)

phazey

One of Freddy's beloved
We used to have a playing field at the back of my house - turned out during the war it was an ammo dump - loads of bullets etc got found there. Playing football on a minefield never fealt the same after that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom