Metal Detecting

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Has anyone ever had a go at this? I was talking to a friend the other day about all the old battlefield around here, like Fulford and Stamford Bridge - the one that made us lose to the french in 1066 - and we started talking about metal detectors, as you do.

The only ones I've seen are those Radia Shack/Tandy things years ago. Does anyone here do any Time Team type stuff, and/or know much about good metal detector equipment?

My old aged landlord where I live reconds he wants to buy a whole array of metal detectors and strap them to the front of a sit-down lawnmower so he can do a sweep of entire fields in 20 minutes, he is a bit of a craft cockney nutcase though. :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You need to do a bit of research really. Find any Roman roads and old Roman towns near you (not that difficult if you're in York), see if the old road goes through a field, get permission from whoever owns the field, and explore. Often you'll find detritus thats been discarded in the ditches that run down the sides of the higher quality Roman roads.

Have a look on Google Earth for any parch marks in fields (dry bits of land) that might outline old buildings and roads, they're probably good places to look.

Always get the permission of the landowner first, and if you find anything that looks as though it may be important (say a large buried piece of pot or metal) contact the nearest archeological group, you don't want to be responsible for any damage.

Oh and big finds (huge hauls of coins) belong to the Crown, full stop :)

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I didn't really expect to be finding any hoards of coins, maybe a bit of weapon or the odd bullet from the civil war.

It was more the actual metal detecting equipment I'm unsure about, I know where to go and look for artifacts.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Quick lads, lets sign up as the crew on Maljonics boat and kill him and his men after they find the treasure...who wants to be the sea cook?! ;)

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Unless you want to keep them all to yourself for other purposes.

Oh, I don't want to become a metal "detectorist". Maybe I should think carefully before I go any further.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
ECA said:
Quick lads, lets sign up as the crew on Maljonics boat and kill him and his men after they find the treasure...who wants to be the sea cook?! ;)

Oooh oooh me me. I am bloody great at toast.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
But which way do you count rounds?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
ECA said:

I'm an ex-marine, have a long ponytail and know aikido and how to hold a blade upside down...can i be one?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
old.Tohtori said:
I'm an ex-marine, have a long ponytail and know aikido and how to hold a blade upside down...can i be one?

Sure, but you're not addicted to rum are you?
Last time I tried this the bloody bastards all got drunk while the bastards with the treasure were holed up in the barricade :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
ECA said:
Sure, but you're not addicted to rum are you?
Last time I tried this the bloody bastards all got drunk while the bastards with the treasure were holed up in the barricade :(

Nope, just addicted to making movies that totally kick ass :D

Trem

ECA said:
But which way do you count rounds?

The correct way :eek:

Can tohtori be my servant? I will sex him good.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
As long as he doesnt get the clap and can't fight.
PS: One of you has to wear a wooden leg.

Trem

ECA said:
As long as he doesnt get the clap and can't fight.
PS: One of you has to wear a wooden leg.

Can I wear it in the middle of my other 2 legs?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Trem said:
The correct way :eek:

Can tohtori be my servant? I will sex him good.

Oi, i'll snap your leg with a frown the size of a african hunger if you come any closer with your "servant" needs :eek7:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom