Mercs...

Meursault

Fledgling Freddie
What are your feelings on Mercs? I'm going to go 50 crush/50 DW/and whatever is left into parry. Would mercs be good in RvR? Are they commonly used in RvR?

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Meursault said:
What are your feelings on Mercs? I'm going to go 50 crush/50 DW/and whatever is left into parry. Would mercs be good in RvR? Are they commonly used in RvR?

Mercs are a nice char imo, they can both solo(although solo as any visible class is tough going) well and are usefull in groups.

Though I dont think they are in short demand, but at the same time there are definetly not as many mercs as there are sorcs :p

York

Fledgling Freddie
Merc's, to me, seem to be used alot in RvR, most group set-ups will want a merc or 2 in thier group.

The fact they dish out the high melee damage compared to other melee classes is also a bonus, makes me wonder why i've never made one!

Click me for more merc opinions!

dimerian

Fledgling Freddie
Just remember to get banelord with your new merc and you get zillion more groups than those who dont have it :)

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
most mercs are crush-ogres, i wanted a challenge so rolled a saracen thrust emerc - it is deffo a harder challenge to get it templated, as you have a lot more stats that you want to cap (str / dex / con and qui)

crush ogres hit incredibly hard!

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
Mercs are an amazing class to play,

Crush merc on the other hand, is better for solo.

However, ( i aint read this anywhere) but slash damage is alot better than crush damage (this is from alot of my mates and my own personal experience) , but i dont know if it is supposed to be on the same damage table.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Slash damage is good all-purpose, it hits hard against stealther leather and studded for soloing and also against Mid light tanks (Sav/Zerk) on the assist train. Crush has a stun from an anytime style chain which is very useful on the assist train if you don't have a slam tank.

I always fancied a thrust merc and I've rolled a few Saracen ones, but never managed to get round to levelling one to 50. The Thrust line is kinda weak, especially for soloing, but it has some nice positionals for group/zerg play.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Killswitch said:
I always fancied a thrust merc and I've rolled a few Saracen ones, but never managed to get round to levelling one to 50. The Thrust line is kinda weak, especially for soloing, but it has some nice positionals for group/zerg play.

My thrust merc(briton) did pretty ok when i mostly soloed him to 50 long time ago.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Downanael said:
My thrust merc(briton) did pretty ok when i mostly soloed him to 50 long time ago.

It is a decent line, just lacking utility (especially at low levels) unless you like Bleeds. It has a good root from side-positional at 44 iirc and a combat speed debuff, but the best thing about the line, Dragonfang, got a hefty nerf a while ago. 6s stun from Evade on a Merc with Advanced Evade is nowhere near as useful as a a 6s stun from a 2-style Anytime chain.

I wouldn't recommend that someone who wants to roll a thrust merc doesn't do it. It would be fun and different. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who wants a Min/Max kickass RvR merc though, there are better choices.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I got a level 26 crush 1/2-ogre merc. He deals out loads of damage. He pwnd in Thid :p

Himse

FH is my second home
Skirne said:
BM>Serker>Merc

But light tanks are very nice.

lols right.

its more like bm/merc/zerker.

merc gets nice positionals. same as bm

zerk gets shit :<

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Damage:
Zerk,merc,bm

Style utility
BM,merc,zerk

Survivability
Merc,bm,zerk

Thats just in my opinion atleast.

Shimynor

One of Freddy's beloved
:d

I do prefer playing my BM more that my Merc cost of the WTFPWNAGE side stun chain, that deals loadsa damage, then when they come out of stun, you wtfpwn them with your 40% root/snare back style.

Zerkers hit the hardest where ever you are on the person, side, front back, where ever.

Mercs just in betweenies;

BM's are ftw

Shim

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
I was never a merc fan...found it pretty boring, until I tried thrust.

With capped quickness and haste swing speed is incredibly fast. The extra 10% thrust bonus does wonders taking out healers. Generally I don't use the pretty poor thrust styles much, sticking with dual shadows, flank+followup, off-parry stun chain.

Of course, pierce is the exception; back positional (always running after healers and casters). Dragonfang is a handy addition but almost never get to use it in fg RVR. Bleed chain (which now stacks) in the thrust line is occasionally useful.

In general, if you back up your positional style with another positional, you almost always land it...ie backing up Dual Shadows with Pierce (as they always run).

Anyway, great funl, but I am very much a newb merc! :drink:

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
merc is a good solid light tank, lacks a usable snare but other than that its a very potent damagedealer imo. Works in both soloplay and groupplay, best in groupplay ofc.

Drawback is, you need ml10 and really good gear to perform really good but once you have that, its rocking :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom