Merc Q's

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
Hi,

I am wondering what kinda specs people think are best? What's important to max in a temp and whats not? I'm L42 at the moment & max DW/Crush iirc, whats a good group lvl 50 spec? Oh, and whats the demand for them like? 2+ mercs still common?

Cheers

Lorimez Shadowblade

Fledgling Freddie
Mercs are good fun so good choice :)

Must have imo maxed :

Melee combat speed (10 %)
Melee combat damage(10%)
Melee style damage (10%)

Strength 100 (+25 bonus)

And after that you obviously want good resists, good hp/con and a decent amout of quickness so you hit the 250 quickness cap

Anything after that is a bonus but I'm sure FH has lots of good mercenaries who'll add there own ideas . . just my two pennies worth :cheers:

Regarding spec - 50 DW 50 Crush Rest parry is traditional way and for best damage output. I considered 42 shield at expense of thrust for a while and may well try that one day. People will always want a merc in grp, especially a BL one and unless its a caster group, you have a good chance of getting in.

Good luck with ya last few levels

/bow

Martok

Part of the furniture
you pritty much got it smack on

you wnat + 26 str as primary concirn in scing

then its reists + quickness, after that is hits

toa bonus's muct be 10% melee spd 10% style dmg 10% melee dmg

specs the most common and widly used one is 50/50/28.

as for groups ive found mercs go through phases of being wnated and not being wanted atm its the not phase but soon will the the wanted phase again!

mercs are great fun in small groups fg's zergs, ive played mine since release and still loving it that must say sumthing about the class :drink:

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
50/50/28crush or 50/50/23shield if slash, on toa.

i was always dead against slam on merc but the way things have gone with toa/strafe etc its certainly a spec to consider: 50dw 42shield rest weapon.

sc wise as said above 25 or 26str cap, some con some hits some qui and all round decent resists +10/10/10toa is the target.

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
Konah said:
50/50/28crush or 50/50/23shield if slash, on toa.

i was always dead against slam on merc but the way things have gone with toa/strafe etc its certainly a spec to consider: 50dw 42shield rest weapon.

sc wise as said above 25 or 26str cap, some con some hits some qui and all round decent resists +10/10/10toa is the target.

Wouldn't take it, Main reason for having a merc is damage and interupts, Slam bot aint what its there for.

Just my personal pref though not saying your wrong.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Well, I gave myself the task of trying out merc...but decided that bog standard slash and crush were a bit too...boring for my taste.

So, I went auto-trained Thrust-spec...and haven't looked back.

Swinging with 10% speed and 250 quickness (+ haste) gives you insane damage-over-time. It's a very positional spec, not many decent anytimes to pull off (and definitely none with stun!) Thus you've found the disadvantage. The lack of stun is annoying to say the least. As long as you assist with a decent crush merc, or have good clerics/mincer then it works nicely. Chasing people around because you can't stop the fookers gets tiresome :)

Of course, if you're str debuffed, you're still capable of putting out the damage (thrust being 50/50). Templates are a bitch, especially if you want the nice toys in there like SoM and Scalars. Lack of Malice is a disadvantage, but there are good alternatives out there if you're willing to do something a little different.

Being saracen, I am constantly the target for Nearsight (muhaha) and being int-sheered (MUAHAH!) You tend to 'slip through the net' as enemies rarely see saracen mercs. Solo, stealthers think you're an inf - bonus.

Anyway, could rabble on forever, but I have to say; saracen thrust mercs are great fun - love mine to bits!

sshot845.jpg

:cheers:

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
watch some gladric movies :)

btw he used crush stun too, worked pretty fine :)

Martok

Part of the furniture
Righthandof said:
watch some gladric movies :)

btw he used crush stun too, worked pretty fine :)

im sure you mean Glodric and hes slash! and btw he is shite look @ the oponents

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
Infanity said:
Main reason for having a merc is damage and interupts, Slam bot aint what its there for.

quite so. however, dmg is not what your doing when your being kited/strafed/rr5'd or arti-charged (malice battler phoebus etc etc etc etc). slam stops them all. 9s vs the 5s of crush stun is a BIG difference plus the fact slam is instastun not 2nd in a low-dmg chain (which misses pretty often) and can be strafed or window dragged to avoid.

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
Martok said:
no he meant Gladric :p but ye hes not particularly great, he does seem to be on a server full of retards tho which makes for good movies.

Alexandrinus

Fledgling Freddie
Infanity said:
Wouldn't take it, Main reason for having a merc is damage and interupts, Slam bot aint what its there for.

Just my personal pref though not saying your wrong.

you should do what he says, best solo merc out there atm

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Slam is nice, but clicking shield to inventory every time is bloody tiresome.

Get clerics to assist on stun, or hire a reaver/paladin :cheers:

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
Martok said:

the name's Gladric, and i like him.. very good char(ml10, rr11(?), cool temp), very nice playstyle, awesome music, and dam big pwnage.. who cares if the enemies are rr2 tbh, thats how game mechanics work.. you wont defeat 5 rr10 sbs at the same time even at rr13.

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the help so far guys, really appreciate it. I had a mild dilema when choosing my race but decided upon a female highlander, I wanted briton 'cos of size but I guess the fact I'm highlander gimps me for thrust spec and I'm already lvl 42 so don't wanna start over :p

MrBic

Part of the furniture
Righthandof said:
the name's Gladric, and i like him.. very good char(ml10, rr11(?), cool temp), very nice playstyle, awesome music, and dam big pwnage.. who cares if the enemies are rr2 tbh, thats how game mechanics work.. you wont defeat 5 rr10 sbs at the same time even at rr13.

RR10 ml9 :worthy: even if many of his enemies was below rr5 its kinda fun to see him take out 4+ of them at the time.. and the music rocks ofc

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Varna said:
Thanks for the help so far guys, really appreciate it. I had a mild dilema when choosing my race but decided upon a female highlander, I wanted briton 'cos of size but I guess the fact I'm highlander gimps me for thrust spec and I'm already lvl 42 so don't wanna start over :p

Highlander has 70str 50dex at creation. [(str+dex)/2] = 60

Saracen has 50str 80dex at creation. = 65

Thrust spec is still very viable for a Highlander. Obviously saracen will have more weaponskill, but that's life.

You won't swing as fast, but you'll have more HP.

Martok

Part of the furniture
eggy said:
Highlander has 70str 50dex at creation. [(str+dex)/2] = 60

Saracen has 50str 80dex at creation. = 65

Thrust spec is still very viable for a Highlander. Obviously saracen will have more weaponskill, but that's life.

You won't swing as fast, but you'll have more HP.

lol i remeber when sycho (old prydwen merc one of the best imo) went thrust as a highlander and omfg did he hurt!

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
eggy said:
Get clerics to assist on stun

wont happen often enough

eggy said:
or hire a reaver/paladin

cant be relied on to keep up with charge/det5+stoicism tanks

anyway i'm not saying "GO SLAM!!!1" ...i'm saying its well worth thinking about.

uspe

Fledgling Freddie
for temp its up to you. this game offeres many options for templates
about spec :
half ogre
50 DW
50 crush
rest parry
highlander
50 DW
50 slash
rest parry
brighton.
50 DW
50 thrust
rest parry

my merc is brighton and i have done many changes and i still do so i can find what is best and what it sucks and atm i found nice things.
on RA the most important on him is charge - IP2 - and purge.Those things saved me many times.

Martok

Part of the furniture
uspe said:
for temp its up to you. this game offeres many options for templates
about spec :
half ogre
50 DW
50 crush
rest parry
highlander
50 DW
50 slash
rest parry
brighton.
50 DW
50 thrust
rest parry

my merc is brighton and i have done many changes and i still do so i can find what is best and what it sucks and atm i found nice things.
on RA the most important on him is charge - IP2 - and purge.Those things saved me many times.

Det 5 charge 3 should be the 1st ra's any merc (thats not a solo one) should go for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom