Mentalist

S

szechuan

Hi

I have a lvl 8 ment - 4 mana/6 light/1 ment

When I try and kill things all I can do is get 3 dd's off and a 4th with qc when the creature is stuck to me that still leaves a 1/4 health to chop through with my wooden stick :/

I've tried dot'ing 1st but I then get 1 dd less on it and I still end up melee. I've also tried 2 dd then 1 mez, run back a few yards and dd again but that doesn't do much other than increasing the time it takes to lvl.

Do things get easier?

Any suggestions?

Final template is 36/38/18 or something close

D

DocWolfe

my tip is for casters dont try and spread your points too much, stick to one line and put left overs in another

O

old.Charonel

agree'd, not sure about mentas, but enchanters aside i know that with almost all pure casters it's almost allways a good idea to pure train a spec solely until you hit level 40 then start using mini dings to branch out into the other lines, adding any points to the secondary line also if you stop speccing the main before 50.

my eldritch is pure void right now, will be pure mana once we get patched, my enchanter isnt pure anything due to them having benefit from spreading points out earlier (which is unusual for a caster), would expect mentalists to work best for xping by sticking to 1 line until lvl 40, then use mini dings to round out the character, but i could be wrong :)

S

szechuan

I thought I'd spec mana to 4 to get the 1st mana regen. Then the rest in light like you said.

What are mini dings btw? :)

N

Novamir

you should have got the first regen at level 12 optimally when you have just dinged. max light until then.

O

old.Zanaa

Nah get first regen and stay with groups until your light gets high enough to solo, just like your plan is. Your planned final spec is about the no1 for allround exping no matter what others tell you :p. But if you wanna have best RvR power, get light 45.

O

old.Zanaa

and yes things will get easier, especially when your stun gets more powerful after a bunch of levels.

O

old.Tzeentch

dont listen to any of these guys !!!

ask loffffff...

O

old.Derszu

soloing will get much easier when u hit lvl 15 and get the 6 sec. stun...

till then... only chance is to grp or stick to light spec...

the split spec is no more reliable when 1.52 comes out, cos they changesd a lot... and full mana or light spec will be much better then...

S

szechuan

Just hit 10 and my light dd has improved vastly - must have been a bad lvl at 8 as it took 6 dd's to drop a blue. Only takes 2-3 now

D

Danya

I did the 4 mana/6 light spec and it's tough till about level 10 yes, after that though you can keep light high and soloing is very easy. ATM I can drop heat weak oranges in three nukes. :p

O

old.Charonel

Originally posted by szechuan
What are mini dings btw? :)

at lvl 40 onwards, you get a mini "level" each time you reach half way through the level, once you've had this "mini ding" you can't drop below that, and when you ding you get half the spec points that you would normally get when you ding. so it mean that during the 40's your getting 1.5 times your lvl spec points as a caster, rather than 1.0 times as normal.

example, at lvl 40 you ding, and get 40 spec points to use, then when you get five bubs into lvl 40 you ding again, and get 20, then at lvl 41 you ding again and get 41, then at 41.5 you ding again and get 21 points etc... this ends up giving you lots of extra points to use in taking another spec line high whilst still keeping your main maxed out if that's what your planning.

its' how pure mana/void eldritches are able to take light into the 20's even though they spend all their points (in the case of speccing mana to 50 anyway) in the main line.

S

szechuan

Originally posted by Danyan
I did the 4 mana/6 light spec and it's tough till about level 10 yes, after that though you can keep light high and soloing is very easy. ATM I can drop heat weak oranges in three nukes. :p

Yes, at lvl 10 I drop yellow's in 4 nuke's - 3 while he's running at me then 1 qc while he's on me.

As a light spec menta are your dot's any good? - are they worth using or do you not bother with them?

Thanks charonel, I didn't know that ... being a noob and all ... ;)

K

Kobold

Originally posted by szechuan

Yes, at lvl 10 I drop yellow's in 4 nuke's - 3 while he's running at me then 1 qc while he's on me.

As a light spec menta are your dot's any good? - are they worth using or do you not bother with them?

Thanks charonel, I didn't know that ... being a noob and all ... ;)

A light ment is pure nuker, forget the dots then.
If u like dots spec in mana

P

PJS

light spec ment dots have some uses, if you are in a group doing VERY HIGH mobs you can try to use dots to get some damage in while you switch to healing
if Ive nuked a mob to low health so it can barely move I like to dot the final bit, its more efficient and its a laugh
you need a good focus stave if you want to use the baseline dot
personally I couldnt do without regen 1 so I went mana 4 quite quickly too

D

Danya

Dots are useless. The mana dot is too weak as a light speccer and the base dot sucks too much power and has large variance.
The statement
"if Ive nuked a mob to low health so it can barely move I like to dot the final bit, its more efficient and its a laugh you need a good focus stave if you want to use the baseline dot" is false in my experience, it's far more efficient for me to just nuke it again or hit it with my staff than dot it. In fact meleeing a mob and loosing 75% hp is more efficient for me than a dot/nuke, hot is very cheap. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom