Mentalist spec question

D

darkhib

hi.

im wanting to start a mentalist on classic servers when they come out (which i belive is next week).

At first (before i looked at spec lines) i thought they where almost the same as a sorc, and thought i could get charm and crack in same line, and was pritty disapointed when i found out thats not possiable.

so after looking at the specs i thought that way of the moon (which i think is mana) gives the best with heal over time, power crack and 2x DoTs.

Although this spec line is nice, there is no speced damage, and although i get a base line stun (over powered :touch: ) i'm worried about my soloing capabilties; no speced nuke kinda sucks- any ideas ?

Stats: for starting stats i was thinking along the lines of 15 dex, 10 intel (seem the best, unless i want 10 in con or something)

race- Lurikeen or elf?... Lurikeen has more dex and are so small (harder to target) but a elf has only 5 less dex, but 10 more intel...

comments ideas? (ps i never played a ment before so sorry if this is a completely nub question :clap: )

Cueblare

Fledgling Freddie
Well, most people dont rvr with their mentas xD

But I'd say 46 light 28 mentalism :)

good luck

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
On lamorak mentals were really wanted in xp-groups, one of the fastest leveling classes. After that, they were stuck on rr1 as no-one was getting a mental in group, even if they were to respec light. I don't know if the same thing will happen in the euro servers, but I somehow pressume that it will.

Ceraniel

Loyal Freddie
Well concidering it`s classical server i`d go mana atleast for levling, makes you much more wanted in groups.... mentas not top notch in RvR though...

Cueblare

Fledgling Freddie
ment > light eld in pve

light eld > ment in rvr

so i'd say roll a mana eld and respec at 40 ^^

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
The best spec for getting PvE grps is mana, esoecally if u can grp with a enchanter which is proably the best PvE duo on Hib. But at lvl 50, if u spec light, u can charm sallies in Volc, which means, with a BB, u can farm Volc scrolls (Battler, Malice, Mad Tales etc) solo.

Noone really wants a ment for RvR, but with 2 dots and an other AoE dot, as well as the base line nuke (which is good) mana is the better way to spec, but if u really want to RvR go for a light Eld.

Ceraniel

Loyal Freddie
Dahakon said:
The best spec for getting PvE grps is mana, esoecally if u can grp with a enchanter which is proably the best PvE duo on Hib. But at lvl 50, if u spec light, u can charm sallies in Volc, which means, with a BB, u can farm Volc scrolls (Battler, Malice, Mad Tales etc) solo.

Concidering he is wants to start on classic servers i doubt charming sallys will do the trick

Ttillub

Fledgling Freddie
Mentalist dots are not that good in rvr and they are nerfed in 1.81 even more. Light is the only way to go if you want to rvr.

Saje

Loyal Freddie
yep for rvr its 46light 28mentalism if u want rvr..
But solo ments make a very nice class with the spec dd, mezz, stun and heal(rr5 is also ubersweet when ur getting it)

D

darkhib

atm im just using daoc.catacombs chara builder...

but it only gives the spec lines and sun and moon, which one is light? i assume it moon, but not sure :) (<-- nub with other realms :twak: )

Also is ment and enchanter a good duo as my m8 was thinking of joining me and making a enchanter...

But im assuming that ment will go well with any caster on classic because of power regen.

Btw thanks for the replys :)

Saje

Loyal Freddie
darkhib said:
atm im just using daoc.catacombs chara builder...

but it only gives the spec lines and sun and moon, which one is light? i assume it moon, but not sure :) (<-- nub with other realms :twak: )

Also is ment and enchanter a good duo as my m8 was thinking of joining me and making a enchanter...

But im assuming that ment will go well with any caster on classic because of power regen.

Btw thanks for the replys :)
Sun is light Moon is mana. And i guess chanter/ment is fine debuff nuke etc, also nice for lvling if both spec mana for lvling

Fifta

Fledgling Freddie
I would suggest not to do the same mistake as I did, Mentalist is totally useless char in the end game (rvr).
Not a single group of any skill will ever consider taking mentalist as a caster because of his poor utility compared with chanter/eldritch.

D

darkhib

then what would u surggest as a duo? we both want to create casters,

i surpose i could open my old account and run a ment on there, because without power regen its gonna be so slow... (although in that case i would probs be better off with a bard? )

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
The best hib caster for classic will be the eld. Way too many tricks to ignore (including NS and disease).

If you want to just xp together without any rvr expectations, then you can roll whatever you want. If you want to rvr, you have to roll specific classes.

This server will not be like "the good old days". This server will attract opted groups, specific setups and the like, and this is what will stop people from logging on eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom