memory

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
im currently undergoing an upgrade and cant seem to decide on getting 2gig of pc 8500 or 4 gig of 6500 theres not much in it price wise tbh just want the most bang for ma buck so to speak

Kryten

Old Cow.
What's the rest of the system?
Unless you're overclocking, and anything up to and including a Q6600 processor, 800mhz ram will more than suffice (pc6400), 4gb of which is currently going at an average of 60-70 quid. If you're getting a new Wolfdale processor (intel e8x00 series) then the extra may well be worth it on the higher specced ram if you're using a motherboard that will use it properly (x38/48, p35).
This is of course assuming you're getting Intel kit :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi chipper

I'd follow Kryten's advice. Personally, I think more at a slower speed is usually better than less at a faster speed, but obviously it depends on many factors (the rest of your system, how savvy you are at setting things up etc.). So in short, I'd go for the 4GB.

Kind regards

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
4Gb will soon be the sweet spot for games, although you need a 64-bit operating system to get the benefit of it. Plus with ram as cheap as it is, it's a bit silly not to get 4Gb.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
The problem is that 32-bit windows can only ever allocate 2Gb to an application. This means that no matter how much ram you have, a game will only get 2Gb under 32 bit windows.

There is a way around it to get 3GB (via a switch in the boot.ini), but there's claims it doesn't work well/at all especially under SP3. Also the application has to be specially compiled for it.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
hey guys thxs for the replies im gonna be running under a Q6600 its gonna be a nforce motherboard tho as im looking at using dual nvidia cards someway down the line i think the x and p series boards are only crosswire?

Asus P5N-E SLi nForce 650 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Asus P5N-E SLi nForce 650 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

also be using a 64bit version of vista hopin to be clockin ma 6600 to around 3Ghz

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
You will have troubles getting 3GHz on a 650i mobo, I have that board and I can't get past 2.6.

Not sure SLI is really worth it, you are probably best off with a P35.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
depends on the operating system if your using a 32bit OS you wont be able to get it over 3Ghz

Kryten

Old Cow.
SP1 in Vista shows the full 4gb (but just like any other 32bit OS wont use much over 3gb for which you need 64bit).

And really, really don't bother about SLI. Even being able to get twin decent cards now for under 200 quid (8800GTs) it's a waste of time, resource and power. Save the planet! ;)
And you'll then have the downside of using an nvidia motherboard too. Certainly not worth that.

taB

Part of the furniture
Quick related question, am looking to go from 2gb to 4gb ram in my machine. If I buy the same stuff can it just slot in or will I need to change any system settings?

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Should just work. Although depending on your mobo and OS you may need to change a couple of bios setting related to memory mapping, to get the full benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom