Memory stuffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
System: Barton 2500+, abit NF7-Sv2, watercooled cpu (nb and gpu pending).
I just bought a pair of corsair twinx pc3200ll memory sticks. I threw them in my box and all was good, I got 200mhz (400 ddr) fsb with timings of 2-2-3-6, as it says on the box.
Then I tried to overclock and ran into a few problems...
I can get the system to POST at 230, but it won't boot. I got into windows at 228 and was fine till I tried to do anything, then I got random errors all over the place. At 225 it's almost completely stable but prime95 errors out. Dropping to 220 and setting the RAM to run at half speed gets me absolute rock solid stability. With the RAM at full speed though p95 errors out lots, even with 3-4-4-8 timings. In fact I haven't managed anything much over 400ddr with this memory without p95 erroring.

So the question is, should I send this ram back and get some PC3700 or PC4000 which will mean lower timings but more MHz, or stick with the low latency stuff but drop the fsb. Considering I will (hopefully) soon be watercooling the northbridge, I'm hoping I might be able to push it even higher, but with my current memory I'm really limited.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I think unless you have a Barton +3200 that trying to run the memory at 200 is pushing it a bit. I run my similar set up at 166 and I have the same memory as you with no probs running synchronously.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Pardon me if I'm reading this wrong, but you've purchased goods that work perfectly as advertised. You now wish to exceed their specifications, and are considering returning them because they won't do that?

Sorry if this isn't helpful, but that hardly seems fair on the supplier.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well my geil value stuff reaches 230 fine (at 5:4) and 217 at 1:1. So yes I would expect you being able to squeeze a little more out of that memory. I reach the above speeds and still pass p95 torture tests, so if you cant even do that at just above 400mhz you should probably send the memory back -if you can.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Tom said:
Pardon me if I'm reading this wrong, but you've purchased goods that work perfectly as advertised. You now wish to exceed their specifications, and are considering returning them because they won't do that?

Sorry if this isn't helpful, but that hardly seems fair on the supplier.

I agree with Tom here, I had to re-read that numerous times to understand that you bought PC3200 and think there's a problem that it won't run at 230 MHz. I've read that the Corsair TwinX PC3200 does a maximum of 225 overclock with slack timings. I have the same memory and can run it ~210 MHz (420 DDR) stable with a tweak to the CPU core and the ram voltages.

If you wanted more than 200 MHz fsb, you should have bought PC3500 or above memory.

G

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
There is a review here:

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/memory/Corsair_TwinX_3200LL_2.html

This'll give you a good guide on overclocking your ram, the voltages and timings you'll need to get the system running stable. As I suspected, the maximum overclock was 225 MHz with higher voltages and adjusted timings (I said slack originally, but that was maybe harsh since the timings are still aggresive according to that review).

Cheers

G

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you read around the various overclocking forums, it is quite common for people to return memory and CPU's because they dont overclock to their expectations. At the end of the day, if the retailer is happy to exchange the goods then I do not see a huge problem.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Just to clarify, I wouldn't be returning the goods as faulty - as they aren't. But a lot of places will allow you to return goods, minus a restocking fee, if they don't fit your requirements. I'm not sure what you think the supplier is losing, they basically get money for sending stuff out then getting it back.

As for slack timings, voltages etc. Tried all that, it's just not happy at anything above 400.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
So its only me that thinks the Barton 2500+ has a 333 fsb? Must be gettin old :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom