Memory in Graphics Cards

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
I have a GTX280 with 1024mb, not overclocked. CPU isn't overclocked either.

When I run Warhammer and look in the log file it states it has found my GTX280 but that it only have 512mb of memory. One time when I ran the game it said my graphics card wasn't supported, it thought it wasn't good enough which for a card that is top of the range isn't what you want to see :)

Running Vista 64 with 4gb. Getting a lot of CTD's, BSOD's and lockups. Ram tests ok, can see from Nvidia utility that the graphics card isn't overheating, cpu isn't overheating either. Game is running at 1920x1200 full screen, gonna try Windowed at lower resolution to see what happens. Using latest drivers also.

Just trying to nail the problem on something (other than the game being potentially unstable) and noticed this. Don't really understand the ins and outs but this seemed odd. One thing I haven't done is run another game for any length of time.

Battleboobs

Fledgling Freddie
Almost the same for me, GTX280 SLI and it says:
Dedicated Video ram: 256: Meets min specs Total Video ram: 512
Something wrong with WAR client probably :)

Zagzyg

Loyal Freddie
Same here:
[13:59:21.428]:OS Version: Windows Vista With Service Pack 1
[13:59:21.429]:Adapter: [NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX]
[13:59:21.429]:[Driver Version 7.15.11.7813] [WHQL Certified: No]
[13:59:21.429]:Video Memory: 256mb
[13:59:21.429]:System Ram: 8189 mb
[13:59:21.429]: Dedicated Video ram: 256: Meets min specs
[13:59:21.429]:Total Video ram: 512
DXDIAG:
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Display Memory: 2778 MB
Dedicated Memory: 732 MB
Shared Memory: 2046 MB

Not having any CTD problems or anything though, and lag seems to have gone mostly now. I figure it's just checking for minimums, not trying to report actual values for everything.

caswallawn

Fledgling Freddie
either that or the game is made to work with a maximum of 512 video memory.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah I have thought about the game only display that the card meets the requirements, it does however pick up the cpu and ram correctly and displays it so I would have thought it would display the graphics card in the same matter.

On the same subject, I played for 3 hours in windowed 1680x1050 last night with no problems, switched to windowed 1920x1200 and the game locked up in within 10 minutes. GPU Temp in Nvidia utility was showing 48c, so unless that is lying it isn't the graphics card overheating which is he usual cause when a game locks up.

caswallawn

Fledgling Freddie
Gibbo it is possible the ram chips are overheating as there is no tempriture monitor on them and from changing the heat sink on a few diffferant gforce cards they never seem to let the chips use the graphics card heat sink.

were most replacements either contact the chips or come with ram sinks.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
Gibbo it is possible the ram chips are overheating as there is no tempriture monitor on them and from changing the heat sink on a few diffferant gforce cards they never seem to let the chips use the graphics card heat sink.

were most replacements either contact the chips or come with ram sinks.

Replacements?

caswallawn

Fledgling Freddie
graphics cards are like the CPU you can buy seperate heat sinks/fans that generaly have much higher heat removal than the factory coolers.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
graphics cards are like the CPU you can buy seperate heat sinks/fans that generaly have much higher heat removal than the factory coolers.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood your original email.

I'd be disappointed if it was that tbh, the cable management and air flow in my PC is very good and the card isn't overclocked.

caswallawn

Fledgling Freddie
if you want a easy way to see if it is that download and install nvidia system tools and lower the video ramn clock speed by a couple hundred Mhz and see if you still get the problem.

if that does turn out to be the problem it may be worth contacting the suplier since your card will be new and under warrenty to see what they will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom