Memories, like the corners of my mind...

R

Rubber Bullets

OK, there has been some heavy shit, and loads of whinging on these forums recently, so to lighten things up a bit what are your memories of CS. What was your first ever game like? What about your first kill? Best ever moment?

18 months ago I was a newbie to PC ownership, let alone keyboard and mouse control of first person shooters. Undaunted, and having played at least 2 levels of single player half-life, I decided to have a go at CS. Read the manual? WTF for? After all, just how difficult could it be?

The map was 747 as a CT, and to be honest I don’t remember much about it. I seemed to spawn in the baggage tunnel bit, and, not knowing to turn the gamma up, it was pitch dark each time. I figured out what the radar did, though I thought that the little T symbols must be the terrorists, and the upside down T symbols must therefore be the CTs. Though I hadn’t a clue what the dots were. The fact that I could see my opponents on the radar explained to me why all I ever saw in the game were a few shadowy shapes and a couple of muzzle flashes. :rolleyes:

My score quickly raced to 0-10 before I threw in the towel, licked my wounds and withdrew to play more Half-Life, and TFC.

4 months later I had more luck. My first ever kill was actually my first 2 kills. The map this time was Arab streets, and I was CT. I set off right and as the Ts came through the little gate there I mowed down 2 of them with my Aug before the third through got me. What a great feeling, even if they were the only 2 kills I got all game.

My best ever moment though was as a T on dust 2, I ran straight to the right and crouched by the box in the short tunnel. Four CT’s ran straight past and were falling over themselves to get through the door when they were all wiped out buy a burst from my AK. My name was by 4 kills at the top of the screen :D. Almost at the same instant a team-mate killed the other 2 CTs, the whole team was wiped out in less than 3 seconds. They couldn’t believe it. Needless to say the tactic has never worked for me again.

That’s it, a couple of things that have stuck in my memory. Was I the newest newbiest newbie ever? Can anyone beat that?

s

S

S-Gray

Hmmm, the first time i played CounterStrike, the Map was Assault, i was runnin round like a Headless Chicken, i eventually got my first CS kill, i was joyful and celebrating... and then killed :/ heh

T

Tom

I played nothing but tfc, so I dl'd cs and had a go. First map was backalley, I was scared, cos I thought cs was all serious-like. Totally addicted straight away.

Best ever moment:

Being a CT on estate, threw a he near the bedroom, killed 2 ts in there, opened the door, shot a 3rd t on the telly, got blown up by his dropped grenade. Cue about 18 lols and rofls.

I also headshotted a right to left running t from clean across the entire assault map, I was running too, and I only fired one shot. BAM he was down.:D

O

old.Mr Crapini

Well I recon I was the worst newb that BW has ever seen, I was very crap and abusive and unfortunately the only ppl who paid me any attention were the [NERD]'s or [MERC] as they were when I first started, they made me laugh and tkd every1, but hey I was a newb and very bad at CS and didn't give it much thought at the time. However whilst wandering around the BW servers I did meet a lot of very cool ppl who did help me and give me advice and their names I have tried to remember and I still look out for them when needed.

This is how bad I was and how little I had bothered to read of the boring CS manual, I played for the first six months with the default key settings i.e. I had no strafe and turned on the spot only. So u can imagine the pisstaking I had as I bumped headfirst into walls, then turned :D. That was about the time I met MMX but thats another story :) Anyway I never did get off on tking ppl and being disruptive, I just lacked (and still do sometimes) knowlege on how to make the most of CS like adjusting the rate, cmdrate and update rate settings for instance, they make a lot of difference and so did getting cable, as I was 56k as a newb and utterly crap but that goes without saying.

sry 4 boring u.
Crapini :)

M

Moving Target

I remember playing CS for the first time, started the map, went down the steps and the map changed. And I thought it was shit, so I left :)

O

old.Kurt_Angle

First cs map i looked at was seige.

First one played online was either station, or the retirement home.

Both were class maps, sorely missed, maybe both could be on the oldtimers custom server or something;)

Only started playing cs because people playing tfc were talking about it, so i gave it a whirl.

Only started playing tfc because i wanted to try something different. While it was fun at the start, it ain't so now.
The spirt of fair competetion is long gone from tfc:(

At times i miss the old community sprit of the one game nation that was quake 2, it's just to crowded now with people you don't know.

Back in the day i knew about 70% of quake 2 players on a speaking basis, cs/tfc are far to expanded for that ever to happen again the way it once was:/

Memories indeed:)

R

Rubber Bullets

Mr Crapini, you've reminded me of a friend. The first time he ever played TFC found himself on a FF on server playing Warpath.

He inadvertantly managed to TK his entire team before the gates opened :D You can imagine the abuse that was hurled at him before he left. :)

s

S

S-Gray

i played TFC the other day, managed to kill all my "Friend Spies" they wasnt too happy :p

O

old.Mr Crapini

I just reread my post above/\ and I think my reference to MMX looks a bit sinister so I'll quickly clarify. Back when I started CS MMX were very active and from what I had seen on the various BW servers of the time MMX kicked servere ass, they played as a team and usually had at least a full CS team of MMX members if not more together on the server, so anyway I was still crap and abusive at the time so I was somewhat of a mild irritation to them at best at the time. Anyhow as I said in the previous post I had been going round the servers asking for guidance and tips to make my CS better and it so happened that the clanleader of MMX at the time was one of the ppl who did help me and give me advice and I was grateful. so ta

So after then and not really getting much better at that time I would seek out MMX and play them as it was obvious to me that if I was to improve at CS I better be doing a bit of what they were doing to me. I used to have thoughts of joining their clan as they always seemed pretty genuine, I did have a prob however come to think of it with one who seemed to me to be their top player at the time who I found very arrogant and when your crap you don't like arrogant ppl who are actually very good at CS, well I didn't anyway :D. And that leads to to the thought I was having earlier when I made that somewhat sinister comment in that post up there, you see that guy I then considered arrogant told me that I was crap and wouldn't get any better and that really pissed me off and though it has taken me an overly long time to "get good" I have to thank that guy in a way because it gave me some reason to improve and kept me coming back. I am still far from good, I have my moments but at no time throughout my CS "career" has my play ever stabilised I either own or get owned completely and I still don't have any control of when I slip from one extreme to the other but I always have fun and if I don't I leave, thats just the way it is for the unattached ppl I guess. Anyway I apologise to those I have abused or pissed off over the years and to any members of the the clan I was formerly with, I'm sorry I buggered off and left without notice or without informing you but I had hit a low in CS performance (prolly due to lack of sleep) but I was neither use nor orniment in those last clan matches I played and what with cheating accusations and that beautifully co ordinated covert mission you ran on me to find out if I cheated ( which I don't) I took my leave, so sry for that and all the best to you all.

Apologises upon length and depth of this post but gf is out tonight and I am waiting for the phonecall.

Just had call, phew ;)

Crapini (waffles when concerned)

O

old.D0LLySh33p

Played CS first of all at uni. Having a LAN rated as one of best in the country certainly helps you start playing onlince games :)

Played Q2 and 3 then too.

Learnt all three games from some very good players. Had a guy at uni. who absolutely pwnzd Q2. He kinda taught everyone how to play fps'. Indeed, two of Adz's housem8's were actually ranked in the top 10 Q2 players last year due to this guy and his tuition I guess.

But tbh, CS always ruled for me. I've had great moments. However, for me most of the best aren't what you'd expect (i.e. they're not - the first time I hit 50 kills, or the first time I wiped out a whole enemy team). They're things like being stoned and having a laugh with peeps on servers. Two stand out for me. The first was when a few of the BW pubby regulars managed to clear out a server on Siege (Embattle, Jobs, isuck among others were there) at like 2 am in the morning to have battles with scouts, paras, pistols and knives ;) Was utterly hilarious, especially as Jobs was soooooo off his head on Stella at the time and Embs was his normal cynical self!

The second was the infamous jaunt to Jolt by isuck, Carl1ng and myself. Heh, the Tk'ing that happend then :) I do believe only Carl1ng was the only one who wasn't banned by the end of the evening :p

Heh, I do have one egotistical thing though. When I pimped myself earlier this year - it was nice to have offers from 19 different clans :) Makes me feel all wubbly inside - especially as four of 'em are considered 1337 clans ;)

T

TipTop

... best memory(s) of CS? It has to be :

The first time I discovered those nice little camp spots (above the cooker anyone?) (you could do a whole thread on that alone).

The laughs of an all out CT rush on dust, still makes me laugh out loud especially if the Ts are ready for it. The noise, the carnage, the downright stupidity of it.

My first AWP kill swiftly followed by an all time CS low of realising an AWP aint much good in CQB! (plus my sniping skills are probably worse than one of the bad guys in the film Commando)

Clan Knife fights (haven't participated in many recently as UCUK stopped playing CS but there you go)

... and finally

My newb moment was all time classic of spending an evening as a CT shooting the bomb in the misguided hope it would defuse (my team m8's were laughing and crying in equal measure).

Tip

F

Fex

I remember my first game of CS as if it were yesterday, oh the memories..... It was on de_dust and i was a CT. Well the first game was a bit of a blur. It was damn hard to come to terms with the pace of the game (spent most of my time playing football or driving games on my PS1). So at the start of the round i bought what i thought was a good weapon it just happened to be a UMP. Not too bad but an mp5 would have been better. I promptly died after running left and into a group of T's rushing tight through the choke. Next round lasted about as long as i thought i had a great idea and would charge under the bridge, end result was a me face down in the dirt.

My first kill came a few hours after that, on italy. I was a CT again (dunno why even to this day i prefer to be a CT) well it was in the market and a T came charging through alone. I think I only managed to shoot him once but it ended up bieng the final bullet and the one that killed him. Que the celebration and the death soon after.

The strangest game I've had was while I was on holiday last year in Ayia Napa. We found a net cafe a few days before we were due to fly home and thought it would be a good place to help pass the time while we waited for the coach to arrive to take us to the airport. We had a 12 hour wait as we were kicked out of our hotel at 12pm and teh coach wasn't coming untill 12am. So we went there and spent 6 hours playing CS. At the time there were only 2 of us that played it online, myself and Soul. It was a good laugh especially when a group od cypriots decided to come and join in on the fun and we ended up having a few close games.

Anyhow since my first game of CS i've been hooked and still am today.

A

-adz-

Ah d0lly the first year at uni brings back memories :)

Think it was like beta 5.1 or something to start with. I still remember the only true clan match we played that year. de_dust 10 v 10. Was carnage and we pwned em :0

Q2 was my fave for ages, i even skooled me housemates in that year. Gah i woulda been ub3r l337 if i stuck to it.

Most of my fave memories have been recently : especially this weeks in #bwadmins (thanks charly and isuck for the irc paste :) )
heh only got 21-2 on de_chateau but 20 of those were apparently Head Shots . mwhahahaha i wub 1.4

Other moments include pwing d0lly, or was that a dream? gah who cares?

1 EXAM LEFT YEHAA

T

throdgrain

First time I played Cs was in version 1.1 :) I was totally bored of Q2 by then having played for years, I'd been quite good to start with but over the last few months we were declining fast as a clan team in savageuk, getting beat horribly but not really caring.
I remember just thinking this game is so different. Loved the semi-realism of it (even more so now, :p to you whingers!) loved the team work, loved the guns.
Im not someone who just plays CS (if I was I might get better!) , I also play some Q3, also some Operation Flashpoint, also occasionally some RtCW if I want a really easy game lol.
But CS, for all its old and the graphics aint as good as some, still is easily the best fps on the net for me. And Im quite glad I found it quite late into the development, somehow I like it all the more for that !

W

Will

First game...no idea, I have a real lack of short-term memory. Needless to say, I probably sucked at it.

Best memory...well, two stick in my head. A para rush up the back stairs in office, T's were waiting for me. Came round the corner firing like a nutter, gunned down all five in about 2 seconds, then hunted down the last one. The other memory is as a T on Backalley, joined midround, so hiding with a glock, heard some CT's, switched to burst, stepped around the corner and fired. Two headshots. I almost died laughing.:D

S

S-Gray

Biggest Memory was hitting 39-9 the other day... oh what joy :) heh

L

~Lazarus~

Remember my first game - it was that bad - how could I forget it.

There were some words I didnt know (ping, lag, choke, loss etc)

I installed HL / CS on a shitty pc borrowed from work (Pentium 233) plus a crappy 33.6 modem.

Used quickstart (because it said it would find the FASTEST server available (YEAH - right). Ended up joining a server with a ping of about 2500. GFX were blocks. Animation was jerky (like playing by post).

Had just about every player whining at me cos they said I slowed the game down. (kinda hard when you are playing a frame at a time).

The really strange thing was - I GOT A KILL.

<edit>

The map was cs_office.

Always wondered why peeps liked the game so much - thor it was really shitty until I saw it for real on my bros pc. Ended up buying new pc/modem and it been great. (still looking for kills tho)

O

old.Kurt_Angle

Forgot the drive by's on rail road.

Surely one of the best things to ever come out of the cs camp:)

Wasn't it just a hoot and a half, getting all your team on the rail car and going for a ride/

O

old.D0LLySh33p

I always got run over by the train :/

O

old.Kurt_Angle

Was allways funny when we all piled on, and some slow twit didn't make it.

Was funny watching him run after us, only to then give up and then get wasted in no time, because him team had abandoned him:)

They gota bring back the trains:)

/I dunno maybe a map with say mining cars on it, indiana jones styleeee.

I

isuck

hrm, my memory sucks badly (drink, drugs, drink, more drugs, etc. ad infinitum) but as far as i can remember my first online map was foption or zoption or sommit, the one where the ct's had a kill switch to wipe all the nasty t's out with.
unfortunately, i was still using the buy menus manually, looking through them with meh mouse, so i died every round before getting out of spawn.

first kill, hrm, fuck knows... i cant even remember my last kill never mind my first (and yes, the first and last were at different times)

best map i played... hrm, no idea .. probably tonight where i killed that bastard charl8tan and his awm. well, not really but it made me smile. best map i can remember was on rotterdam when we played pump-shottie only. fucking nuts walking into 3 guys with shotguns, i lasted about 1/4 of a second i think and shot a wall once.. but hey :/ (as with most public play theres always some tit who wants to use his colt/sig/ak but it was a FF=on server *cough*, a long time before my admin days and of course not on bw *cough*)

other than that, the 2am siege knife/pistol/shotgun only rounds with d0lly etc was funny shit.

and Adz, it was more like 29 frags, 28hs. (the only one u missed was a guy with a para) :)

oh, and as i remember killing 3 awm snipers on militia with my trusty blade was nice, especially as the third one noticed me and was trying to snipe me as i ran round him :)

W

Wilier

Ive only been playing since Feb 01, but I remember seeing a review of CS in a mag and thinking that it looked cool, so I got the retail version, installed it and was totally gutted that my version was out of date. Kind of stumbled across the BW forums, and with a lot of help from Ch3ts and my works super fast internet conn, managed to get going.

Cant remember my first game, but i remember that i was shit (and still am);)

S

Skyler

My first experience of CS was on LAN at a mates house at the beginning of summer 99....

Some time after the summer holidays I finally got a new mega PC, and was able to play from home (previously I had a p120 1mb graphics etc..). I played with RL mates mainly and we had our own clan, played in a european cs league, perhaps one of the best early CS leagues.

I also started on TFC at that time, I hoofed up into some top TFC clans rather quickly, and my RL mates became a bit jealous.

I was eventually removed from our clan some weeks after I met Mani and Jobbie ;)

They were great players, and I played publics with them for several weeks. Around that time Mani and Dev began forming UKLA. I got in straight away and had such a great time. We all played huge amounts of CS, had great chats in IRC (netgames IRC, until I convinced Mani to go to Quakenet :)) and it was just all a great experience.

After about a year Mani/Verp/Jobbie seemed to get a bit tired of UKLA, and were poached by guldan to join the reforming KMA. Of course most of us told them it'd die in seconds, and a lot of us were pretty pissed off at the "Betrayal". I was left in joint charge of the clan with Trin, so we disbanded, rather than continue on without some of our best players and get worse. UKLA died and many paid their respects, we were a very much liked clan...

I was the only UKLA member to keep the channel alive for many months after the disbanding, until one of the UKLA guys got spiteful for some reason and removed the Q bot (I was the owner of the channel), not sure how they got it removed but oh well :(

Few days later I couldnt join the ukla chan as it was keyed, and thus I learnt of the new reformation of ukla, without one of their best players!... I wasnt evne notified, not even by Jobbie :(

That was probably my worst moment in CS, I kinda felt like giving it all up, as the friends in ukla seemed to just turn on me, even tho I was practically a founding member, and put shitloads of effort into the clan (£2120 phone bill, for 1 month)... etc...

Those were really my best moments....

CS has changed a lot since I started...

Cheat accusations still happen (yes they happened in beta 3 when cheats didnt even exist, certainly not aimbots). Its worse now, but there was always the fright of cheaters in CS.

The main change has to be the UK CS Community, it went from pretty damn respectable decent clans, with the odd wankers who would try and rip every advantage they could above other people... To, a quite scandalous community, full of corruption and lamers. Half of the UK's best CS clans have ex cheats/cheats in them, and even when they get caught people just turn a blind eye. These are people that get money out of the game ffs, I just cant understand how idiotic some people can be :/

Anyway, I cba to right anymore, enjoy some of my story, and sorry Jobs but I had to ;)

C

Ch3tan

Bullshit you didn't TK on BW isuck, the amount of times I banned your arse.

I

isuck

Originally posted by isuck
(as with most public play theres always some tit who wants to use his colt/sig/ak but it was a FF=on server *cough*, a long time before my admin days and of course not on bw *cough*)

notice the timely placed *cough*. i didnt know i was tk-ing, my reticles were fucked up, and urm, everyone looked alike at first, and urm, i though i spawned beside the enemy to make the rounds go faster :/

like i said, a long time ago *cough*

O

old.D0LLySh33p

Yes.

*cough*

Just like you were playing today *ahem* :D

T

Tom

I remember with glee having 'tk rounds' in the dying seconds of a map. The idea was that in the last 20 seconds or so, everyone on either side would madly tk each other.

Believe me, it was piss funny, and it hardly mattered cos noone could have killed the nme anyway. I stopped doing this when an admin said via admin message 'er..no Tom, lets not...'

gulp

O

old.D0LLySh33p

He only said it because you were a 'bit too keen' Tommy ;)

F

Fex

Oh I forgot to mention I spent my first few months playing CS on a laptop. What a complete nightmare. Couldnt hit a damn thing as the thing was so damn nasty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom