Melee speed over cap?

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Hello heard alot of rumors about overcapping melee speed would hurt your dmg - is that true?

Should be the same argument as getting too much dex.

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
yep... going over 250 qui buffed isnt a good idea :/

but u can 250qui and 10 melee speed.. that should be ok... tho havent tested it myself

Porkbelly

Loyal Freddie
I dont think it gimps your dmg its just wasted points going over 250 when you could put your resist up a bit more .

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Porkbelly said:
I dont think it gimps your dmg its just wasted points going over 250 when you could put your resist up a bit more .

Way to get it totally wrong :D

Going over 250 quick won't make you swing any faster, but it reduces your style damage iirc.

So ~250 quick = good

+250 quick = bad

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Im talking about the melee speed % hurting my dmg...

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
ToA melee % speed is capped @ 10%, so putting more than 10% in template will just get capped @10 still and do nothing.

it will not gimp your dmg.

and the statement that going over 250 qui reduces your style dmg was a rumour, and never proven, i have played my char with something like 280 qui buffed at one point, and cant say i noticed it reduce my dmg at all. urban myth imo, but if anyone wants to prove it true go ahead.

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
It dosent gimp your damage, but it's wasted points going over 250 as some have stated.

Ivynoxia

One of Freddy's beloved
crispy said:

It's a common misconception, hope this helps you to understand.

"The myth about swing rate and damage is that the faster you swing, the less damage you do. The truth is that the faster you swing, the less damage you do per swing, but (if you have balanced things out properly) your damage over time actually increases. This has been tested by innumerable people over the course of the game."

Origin of the myth:
"Back in the days of OF and tank assist trains, it was possible with frontloading that the tank train could put out enough damage in one round to take someone down before they could be healed..."

"...therefore many melee, especially 2H tanks, used slow weapons and had very little to nothing in quickness in hopes of landing that one massive blow (better yet, with a nice critical hit) that would fell their enemy in one swing (or at least take a major chunk of their health, making them corpses on the next swing)."

Of course, that's not possible anymore. So don't drop your quickness, over time it adds to your damage output a lot.

Long version of the explanations can be found here and here. Go read if numbers are your thing.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
crispy said:
Hello heard alot of rumors about overcapping melee speed would hurt your dmg - is that true?

A bad recap of using 1 or 2 weapons that are too fast, particularly on dualwielding classes.

Getting over 10% melee spd won't do anything to your damage. Going over 250 qui won't do anything to your damage either, just increase your evade chances.
Switching to faster weapons on a char that already reaches the minimum swing speed ( 1.5s between each swing) with a somewhat slower weapon does lower your dps though.

Danita

Ivynoxia

One of Freddy's beloved
what happens if you get too much dex then? i've not heard that one.

Ivynoxia

One of Freddy's beloved
crispy said:

what happens if you get too much dex then? i've not heard that one.

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Meant qui instead of dex :)

Yeah, i know the things about 250 qui also.

Somewhere on the boards i saw a formula for calculating your style bonus (or was it base?.. anyways). From that formula you could calc you +style dmg. The style dmg bonus was obviously going down the faster you hit, but you would land more hits, thus getting much better damage over time. Problem is that you style dmg keeps going down the more speed you get, but your swing speed caps at a certain point. While getting more qui and haste that your weapon needed to cap swing speed would therefore just hurt your +style dmg and not make you swing faster - therefore giving you lower dmg over time compared to stick to the 250 qui 10% toa and druid speed.

Since the mythic coding is in its own realm of reality there have been some people stating that the formula calculating your swing speed didnt take into account that toa swin speed capped at 10% and therefore would take the 12% or maybe 14% melee speed you'd actually have in template when it calculated the +style dmg. But still not take the overcapped melee speed into the swing speed calculations.

Hope i didnt loose you with my bad explenation :)

Well that would be the argument for overcapped toa melee speed should gimp your +style dmg.

But im just trying to figure out whats true and whats not :)

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
crispy said:

i think its bs, see screeny. had sok(5%) som(5%) scalars(3%) statuesque girdle(2%) and i think some other 2% melee haste item at the time... altho he was battler debuffed iirc :p

Attachments

• flank1061.jpg
    flank1061.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 49

Adlatus Hellbringer

Fledgling Freddie
on my mele ranger i hav 268 quic atm... fighting my m8 tob i hit quite a bit faster than him. Going over 250 quic does make u hit faster, whether it gimps ur dmg im not sure.

Cheers,

Ad

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
Adlatus Hellbringer said:
on my mele ranger i hav 268 quic atm... fighting my m8 tob i hit quite a bit faster than him. Going over 250 quic does make u hit faster, whether it gimps ur dmg im not sure.

Cheers,

Ad

no. it doesnt make you hit faster!!!!
and no. it doesnt continue to reduce style dmg!!! (if you disagree with this please provide proof, i have NEVER seen proof)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom