Melee > magic

K

Kallio

Most of us have noticed this far that there´s no room for mages in RvR groups, I find this annoying. There was a time when a Good group in emain was 3 RMs, 2 tanks, skald, shammy and Healer.

Now many groups play with 2 or even 3 healers, the rest spots are filled with the needed skald, rest is zerks/savages, one warrior too.

So what i was thinking is to drastically take Melee damage in the game down, this would make mages "Do more damage" since all tanks would do less, or would it just leave the problem to a tank slamming and taking the caster down during the stun?

Or am I jsut a raving maniac thinking a problem which apparently cannot be solved? at least from what we hear from mythic. :rolleyes:

Casters need a fix, Good ideas for it here, leave your +1 posts out.

O

old.Emma

Thats because none of the casters in alb/mid can spec for the kind of raw damage hib casters can get from speccing just one line ;p

R

Roo Stercogburn

Hey... no SM in that golden age RvR group.

Maybe it wasn't as golden age for everyone as you think ;)

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by old.Emma
Thats because none of the casters in alb/mid can spec for the kind of raw damage hib casters can get from speccing just one line ;p
I'm a mentalist, how can I get this power? :)

But yes, with the introduction of RA's a lot of mages found their spells would get resisted a lot more and did a lot less damage.
With the introduction of spellcrafting a lot of mages found their spells got resisted even more and did even less damage than before.
RA's & SC'ing boosted melee classes and did a lot of damage to caster classes than any nerf could do. It's just a fact it happened and as a result pretty much all casters only choice is to spec some overpowered cookie cutter spec as all the others are pointless.

I'm a light spec mentalist, I can't really hurt people, I can charm things that bite me in the ass most of the time and kill me if I get mezzed/stunned and that's pretty much it.

If you wanna be a mage, just spec pbaoe and you'll do fine :)

K

kinag

Our Guild Groups often consist of 2 supp sm's and 1 supp rm, 2 healers and 1 skald and rest zerkers or savages...
We do quite well imo..

M

m4rk

aye, casters been really gimped now. I suggest lowering tanks dmg, If they highered caster dmg we would do stupid amounts and kill people too quick :)

M

Mid - Kirinia

Hmm I don't think lowering tanks damage is the way to go about it. It's not as if thanes, skalds and warriors do a lot of damage anyway, and zerkers? well... 1.62 ...

From my own experience I have always found casters are popular in rvr groups to be honest. Sup SM's are always wanted, as are runies both due to their pbt and nukes. Unfortunately a group with 3 healers, a shammie and a skald doesn't leave much room to cater for every class. Caster's miss out sometimes but then so do other classes too. And for a lot of us a group with 3 healers is a rarity :(

Play any class that isn't currently being flamed for being overpowered (and isn't one of the essential support classes), and it's no easier to get a group than it is for a caster to get one in my opinion.

K

Kallio

The prob with supp SMs isnt their damage, it´s that they are rather useless without another one in group.

S

Sarnat

I think the coming resist change is going to fix this, somewhat atleast, by dropping the resist-% for magic resistances (nerf/remove buffs, baod etc).

O

old.linnet

Casters don't have a lot to offer in epic PvE raids either.

(I don't think it's as dire as some people would make out, but I doubt anyone would argue that this has become a tank's game)

K

kr0n

Just let casters to get 0.3% "debuff" to speclines spells per specline.

So at 50 spec you get 15% shaved from your enemies resist-type for that spell. Only for you of course etc, it would be calculated in the damage.

And finetune all mage classes to work a bit more different ways than just "boom bang clonk". As a Sorc I used 3 different quickbars often. All sorts of spells. :)

M

Mid - Kirinia

(I don't think it's as dire as some people would make out, but I doubt anyone would argue that this has become a tank's game)

If you ignore stealthers, the majority of death messages you see in frontiers are spell-related deaths.

People complain that SC has brought about uber resists that reduce spell damage, and it's true to some extent, but don't forget that crush/slash/thrust also fall under the SC business.

Groups will sooner take a nuker than an average tank class (thane for example;)), so I don't agree with the 'this has become a tanks game' comment :)

I can't speak for casters from other realms as I have never played them, but there is no gimped pure caster in mid at the moment in my opinion.

Grrr I'm annoyed now that a caster has moaned that they aren't wanted in a group. I mean... try playing a thane rofl! :help:

S

Sharma

Take a look at the excal boards....Zoyster and Outlaw still hit extremely hard on people with like 30% resists...

L

living

They should make resists on higher lvl mobs lower but that wont happen with 1.62.. that we all know :p

And i would love if they lowered all classes damage overall to make the fights longer but that will just screw over SBs/Hunters again ..

A

Arnor

Originally posted by sharma
Take a look at the excal boards....Zoyster and Outlaw still hit extremely hard on people with like 30% resists...

yeah, high rr specnukers hit for 400ish on 30% resists @~2 secs and go oop after a while.

is that really much for a dude that gets interrupted if you sneeze in his general direction, has cloth armor, crap af, crap absorb and low hps?

R

Roo Stercogburn

I think the current focus melee groups is just a kind of fotm - the people that play the standard pbae gank squads are bored with them and want to do it a different way.

The face of Midgard RvR changes on patch day anyway. You can argue from one side or another whether you think its a nerf or bringing things back into line but regardless of this a lot of people are changing the chars they play and in some cases the realms they play based on 1.62 and with it coming very soon, its worth holding opinions until then.

Regarding casters on epic PvE raids: its completely untrue about the utility of casters on these raids. Yes, casters may not hit the epic boss mob itself with any reliability but since there are no boss mobs without hordes of guards and so forth, casters are essential for clearing these efficiently. Midgard isn't representitive of all three realms in this though as our casters have the lowest group utility value out of all three realms when you look at what they can do for groups overall (please don't get bogged down in a caster vs caster comparison, I'm talking about the overall number of group friendly widgets in total that casters have).

Users who are viewing this thread