Medievel: Total War Battle Collection

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Kick Ass.

I had the Shogun: Total War, this takes it to a whole new level.

I played through with the English (couldn't resist) and ignored the pope to stop attack Catholic nations, followed by being excommunicated and me invading the vatican and putting in my puppet-pope.

Took just short of 100yrs to finish it, or a week in or time.

An amazing game.

Custodian

Loyal Freddie
Is "Battle Collection" like "warlord edition", i.e game + addon?
...which was the vikings thing wasn't it

SilverHood

FH is my second home
battle colllection has everything in it, including (shogon, medieval, viking invasion, etc)

Tbh though, the english aren't the most satisfying to play with - their special toys - the billmen, and longbows don't really shine in single player games, but they do in multiplayer.

Try it as the Byzantine, or as the spanish.
Get a couple of units of lancers and it's already over for the enemy :D

Try the multiplayer if you got time - playable on a 56k modem, and it's 100 times better than the single player battles. :)

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I played MP the other night, me being the English and the other guy the Germans, the match nearly lasted 3hrs in the end I one with only my Generals unit. Mind u credit due He managed to keep his force together for over an hour without his general unit.

RedVenom

Banned
I've been playing in this incarnation as the Danes for at least a few weeks.

I am truly the trade master, now owning large swathes of land and engaging in pitched battle with the Byzantines.

The game has so many levels of fun its untrue. (see: high level assassins, boat wars, emmisaries, princesses, etc)

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Whilst it is lots of fun, some of the stupid bugs (?) are really annoying. Worst being when you go up against a gold rated general and it takes up to half an hour to take him out despite being surrounded by literally hundreds of units.

Still assassinating the pope makes up for it.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Yeah, in single player, the valour on units (in M:TW) does get out of hand sometimes.

With a 9 star general, all units are basically elites, with amazing attack, defend and morale stats - beating them is near on impossible, unless you use specific anti troops (armor piercing against knights, etc), but some units are just tough to boot, and can't really be beaten unless you have a drawn out melee.

The highest you ever get in MP games is 5 valour, and thats in extremely rare curcumstances (only seen it twice, and by then, the unit only had a few men left).

Still need to get VI though.... all the decent players have it, and all the noobs in the classic version piss me off :/

RedVenom

Banned
Need some VI multiplayer love, the only problem being that this here laptop has a bit of a struggle with big battles. Fine on the campaign map, just when everything gets going with giant clusterfuck armies then it nearly has an anal prolapse. :rolleyes:

I'm currently working my way though the high level byzantine generals, since they breed 6+ star guys like rabbits. Time to make those assassins earn their pay. Well that and sinking every single ship they own, with my nice 5-6 ship caravel fleets with 4/5 star commanders. Mmmm. Teach them to mess with the Wikings.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i installed medieval then viking invasion, but now i cant play the medieval version.

do you have to install viking invasion after you completed medieval (if u wanna complete it) to be able to play medieval first?

edit: only way ive found a way around it is to make a copy of M:TW folder and install VI to that one. so then i can play either version.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
You can play both - VI adds some features to the classic MTW, so you will still need to run VI to play the non VI campaign.

Not 100% of the menus - not got VI yet :)

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Rome: Total war looks scarily like the proggy used in Time Commandos on the BBC not long back.

Still looks very nice though

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
FuzzyLogic said:
Rome: Total war looks scarily like the proggy used in Time Commandos on the BBC not long back.

Still looks very nice though

It is.

The program uses a modded version of it.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Well, I just bought this. So if anyone wants some easy practice against me online give me a bell or a pm if I dont hear the bell.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i foud a good website the other day that had some tips for the begginer but it looks like the site has been taken down or something :(

http://totalwar.org/

SilverHood

FH is my second home
My newbie advice - play against good people "a lot".
Only way to get better.

Just remember that MP is TOTALLY different to single player.
The usual setup is usually
2-3 Pavise Arbelasts
3-5 swordsmen
3-4 anti cavalry units
4 cavalry
General

That is for a western catholic power, of course.

Best advice I can give is, press F1 when you start a fight.
You can then see attack, defense, armor and morale of each unit.
A morale of less than 8 for any unit in a standard MP game is BAAAAAAAD.
You will get owned with less than 8. Always.

The little flags indicate how much valour a unit has - each unit of valour adds 1 attack, 1 defense, and 2 morale.
Adding upgraded weapons or armor increases attack or defense by 1 per point. With more armor, a unit will tire quicker, so don't buy armor on desert maps.

A "good" setup - the one I usually use:
2 x Pavise arbelasts
4 x militia seargents
4 x feudal / chivalric men at arms*
4 x lancers
2 x Knights santiago**

*Depends on money
** One of the knights santiago will be the general unit

The militia seargents *have* to be valour 4, the men at arms 3.
Upgrade general unit to valour 1 or 2, depending on money.
Upgrade the lancers with weapons / valour if you can afford it.

Note: The militia seargets can beat up cavalry very well, but they have terrible morale, so don't let them get flanked.
Lancers will mow down any cavalry and flank, and your knights santiago can block any flanking attempts.
Of course, this only works for High and late period games :)

Sadly, my brother has nicked my copy, so can't play online until I get it back :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom