Meanwhile, I'll play planetside...

P

[PS]Venom

This is my semi-retirement post... After having played planetside now I've fallen in love with it, and I don't feel like coming back to daoc in the near future.

Ergo, my accounts are deactivated, not that this will stop me from cranking up the old guy once in a while :)

Thanks to all the many people I've made friends with.

See you in planetside, those whom go there. Yes it's simplistic, yes there's not much end content, but I don't care. It's hella fun.

I'll still be around from time to time. I'll certainly be on for at the very least big raids ect, and the tourny. :)

E

Ekydus

T'is a sad day.
- Game with no end content is like PvE with "Game Over" at the end.

I guess we can't stand in your way, good luck and bye. :(

P

[PS]Venom

It is and it isn't like PvE. There's no AI combat, you're always against players, immense battles without having to worry about being mezzed, rooted, and being unable to partake in 90% of the battle.

Yesterday made it for me, when my squad was engaged in a mass battle deep in enemy territory, and in my Reaver, I managed to shoot down 2 offending aircraft before bailing, and aiming my downed reaver at an enemy tank, and actually hitting it :) I then started a ground assault with fire blasting all over the place. Sheer sheer brilliance. I died, then respawned 25 seconds later, from a mobile station, waited about another 2 seconds for a clump of friendlies to move out, moved with them, and took part in another staged ground assault, died, spawned a bit further away at a facitilty because we'd just taken it, then jetted back into battle in a new Reaver :)

I can have that or go RvR, get mezzed, beat on, nuked down in 2/3 hits, and wait 10 minutes for another portal.

O

old.LandShark

Or, you could play Tribes2 for free :great:
If Sierra hadn't killed it, that is. *sighs*

O

old.Ramas

- Game with no end content is like PvE with "Game Over" at the end.

People forget just how little content daoc had at launch.

High level players could do a relic raid.

Or kill the Afanc. (yeah, you know, the one that drops level *49* items)

That was it.

- No Dragons.
- No Legion.
- No Sidi.
- No Summoner.
- Highest dungeon was barrows - and as today it contained no epic mobs.
- No crafting of 9th/10th tier items.
- No epic quests beyond lvl 40.
- No claiming of keeps.
- No realm abilities.
- No bounty points.
- No benefit gained from taking keeps.
- No getting to any level above 44 without killing *THOUSANDS* of bloody trees each level.

I'm sure PS, and every other MMOG that gets a decent playerbase, will ramp up content over time.

Questions with planetside are really, 'do you wish to play an FPS?', 'do you believe the death penalties in DAoC are too high?', and 'have you had enough medieval fantasy already?'.

/shrug

Some do, some don't.

Vive la difference and all that.

T

[TP]Darksbane

Planetside is class. busy abusing the open beta atm :mad:) preordered it for release day as well.
Not enough to cancel my DAOC accounts though as i dont think the game has the power to hold customeres for a long time, like DAOC seems to do.
Good game for a few weeks break though

F

Flimgoblin

Or kill the Afanc.

wasn't there just some level 20ish ones (afanc hatchlings thye're called nowadays) back then?

(The legendary one wasn't added in till 1.45... not sure what was there before)

J

Jiggs

i didnt even know there wasn't a dragon we couldn't kill when i started :D

D

dwindimir

Yes, it is,but you can only download it from File "Pay or Suffer" Planet (its nice 1.3 gigas)

O

old.Ramas

wasn't there just some level 20ish ones (afanc hatchlings thye're called nowadays) back then?

I thought mummy afanc was in there - but got moved to a different location and given a new model in 1.45.

Could be wrong though.

B

Bartemius

Don't forget the fact that when they DID add the Dragon, they didn't give it loot because Mythic didn't believe anyone would be able to kill it for quite some time.

Sure showed them when someone led a successful raid on it that night. Oh, the fallout on the VN boards after THAT little disaster.

K

katt!

the dragon didnt drop loot because they abused confuse to kill it

A

**Aligro**

Originally posted by Jiggs
i didnt even know there wasn't a dragon we couldn't kill when i started :D

afaik there wasn't even a dartmoor

J

Jiggs

didnt even have swords when i started, just wooden boards with nails stuck in them....

P

Pin

you had nails? bah younguns..

when I started, all we had were bits of chewed and knotted grass with which to fend off foes

B

bob007

Originally posted by Pin
you had nails? bah younguns..

when I started, all we had were bits of chewed and knotted grass with which to fend off foes

Yeah, when i started we had to plant the damned grass first :p

Back on topic.

GL in Planetside. I must admit it is a load of fun, I even thought about shifting myself, But i've decided to wait the first few months and see where it goes. With limited content at this momment in time. This should build if the player base remains. Well we'll see in time.

GL :)

B

bob007

Originally posted by moona
can i download planetside somewhere? :p

You can d/load it, (check planetside section on these boards) but i hear they've closed the beta now, No new account numbers are given out. Games released tuesday, First months free anyway, might be worth a try.

D

deygos

download is open to all now afaik

ps is pure class, lacks longevity but it features huge battles with emphasis on teamwork

T

[TP]Darksbane

www.filemirros.com

Dont waste youe time in the 3 hour key at fileplanet.
D/l GetRight and use that link. d/l all the lot in 1 night. while i ZzzzZZZZ

R

Restart

going to try Planetside also, DAoC has become tiresome after playing it since beta, and i've been finding Planetside alot of fun, maybe it wont last long but it'll be a good break from DAoC :)

O

old.Ashgen

Just need the main 1.3G file?

Or the small "install" file and 38MB too?

Thanks

Ash

S

skile

I've had it for 2 days now, already gotten tired. I must be very picky? ;)

A

Arthwyr

Bah ... I'm still at my download quota for another 9 days :(

P

[PS]Venom

The open beta download has finished now, so don't feel too bad arthwyr.

I've already ordered a copy for myself and the wife - waiting for release so I can grab some decent names.

O

optical-

lol heinrich. ill see you there.

prepare to be owned etc

TR fortehwin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom