McAfee and Skype

sayward

Resident Freddy
Had Norton on Dell laptop for years. Discovered we get McAfee free with BT broadband. Not happy with it but now when it finds updates it says cannot be installed unless you close Skype. Well how on earth do you 'close' Skype? I logged out of Skype and it still put up the same message and wouldn't let me install the updates.

Norton always did things like that automatically without me having to do anything.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Right-click on the icon in the system tray (bottom right, by the clock) and select Quit.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
why use anything other than Windows Defender on a Windows system?

TdC

I haven't noticed any changes. Can you list some negative features?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I haven't noticed any changes. Can you list some negative features?

I don't have any specifics but my parents laptop got a common malware and virus infection which Windows Defender didn't catch which I would have expected it to.

I'd rather have Avast on there than Windows Defender.

They are on Windows 7 but Ive read that the Windows 8 Defender is a bit better.

Last edited:

TdC

odd, I've never had a problem with mine, over several computers. then again, I've never tested any of them specifically to see if anything was missed by WD. I'm tempted to make a bootable USB stick for the specific purpose of scanning them but I really don't have a lot of time to look in to it :-/

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Windows Defender catches like 70-80% of week 1 viruses, avast/avg hit 99%+

As long as you're not retarded windows def is fine, if you get something just grab any free AV.

TdC

I'm sure you're right, but is there any kind of source for that? Also, I catch your drift re not being retarded. I was forever being surprised how often a mate had virusses on his computers until it dawned on me that his two teen daughters and his wife were of the "run this exe as administrator to install cute cats windows theme!!!!1123sadq2e" persuasion -.-

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I'm sure you're right, but is there any kind of source for that? Also, I catch your drift re not being retarded. I was forever being surprised how often a mate had virusses on his computers until it dawned on me that his two teen daughters and his wife were of the "run this exe as administrator to install cute cats windows theme!!!!1123sadq2e" persuasion -.-
Exactly. If your not of that ilk defender is fine for you.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
I've been a MSSE advocate for a long time - it's light, non-intrusive and is there if you need to validate a file is virus free.

However, I started digging based on this thread, and found Avira is now one if not the best freeware antivirus solutions.

Have installed it, will let it "protect" me for a a week or so before deciding to keep it for good.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Defenders hit rates have crapped out but if you've got half a brain you'll be fine. Parental machines should be given something better.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
So Avira is ok, doesn't hog my system or anything. I configured it so that it doesn't bother me with all sorts of "events" and "Notifications" - I hate pop-up balloons and useless distractions. I've left just the "you're infected you bloody idiot" active.

I don't even know it's there, i'm gonna keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom