maxi stats

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
matrix stats

My web host has this this called maxi stats which tells me about the visitors to my site, to install it I have to pay extra money. It's only 10 quid but I don't know how good it's going to be untill I already have it, just wonderd if there are any good free versions out there or are they all pretty much the same?

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Maljonic said:
My web host has this this called maxi stats which tells me about the visitors to my site, to install it I have to pay extra money. It's only 10 quid but I don't know how good it's going to be untill I already have it, just wonderd if there are any good free versions out there or are they all pretty much the same?

Sawmill is a very good package if they offer that as an alternative. Never heard of maxi stats. Is it a home-brew package?

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Maljonic said:
I think so.

A bit difficult to comment on it without knowing anything about it. It could just be Webalyzer but given a 'special' name.

It seems wrong, IMHO, that they should want to charge you for web-stats that, in all liklihood, they are collecting anyway. Still, I guess they have you a little by the balls if they won't let you install your own package to do the job. :mad:

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Gurnox said:
A bit difficult to comment on it without knowing anything about it. It could just be Webalyzer but given a 'special' name.

It seems wrong, IMHO, that they should want to charge you for web-stats that, in all liklihood, they are collecting anyway. Still, I guess they have you a little by the balls if they won't let you install your own package to do the job. :mad:
Oh no, you can install your own stuff; I just don't know where to get it from.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Maljonic said:
Oh no, you can install your own stuff; I just don't know where to get it from.

In that case, you should definately check out Sawmill:

http://www.sawmill.net/

You need to pay for it, but it will give you just about all of the web stats you could ever wish for. You can also download a trial version to see what it can do.

[UKLans]Khan

Fledgling Freddie
Hey Maljonic,

I use a number of different stats packages with my work but I have found a free-web-based one to work almost as well as other packages. I use http://www.counted.com/. They provide very detailed information about visitors, including averages, estimated, where they come from, how long they spent plus loads loads more.

To setup the counter on your site, you simple copy and paste a bit of HTML given to you from the Counted website and thats it!! This is ok for smaller sites but if you are talking about a site with hundreds of conent pages then you may want to consider using a "Log accessable" stats package.

Hope this helps,

Khan

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
[UKLans]Khan said:
Hey Maljonic,

I use a number of different stats packages with my work but I have found a free-web-based one to work almost as well as other packages. I use http://www.counted.com/. They provide very detailed information about visitors, including averages, estimated, where they come from, how long they spent plus loads loads more.

To setup the counter on your site, you simple copy and paste a bit of HTML given to you from the Counted website and thats it!! This is ok for smaller sites but if you are talking about a site with hundreds of conent pages then you may want to consider using a "Log accessable" stats package.

Hope this helps,

Khan
Cheers, I'll give that a go; I got a bit lost with sawmill.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Maljonic said:
Cheers, I'll give that a go; I got a bit lost with sawmill.

That's a pity. It really is an excellent stats package.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Gurnox said:
That's a pity. It really is an excellent stats package.
Oh, I don't mean I've given up on it all together; it's just that it started asking me all kinds of stuff about root folders and what not and I couldn't be arsed to get my head around it at the time. The one Khan mentioned just works straight away after inserting a bit of code on my site without any tricky stuff. How much does Sawmill cost anyway after you've had a trial?

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Maljonic said:
Oh, I don't mean I've given up on it all together; it's just that it started asking me all kinds of stuff about root folders and what not and I couldn't be arsed to get my head around it at the time. The one Khan mentioned just works straight away after inserting a bit of code on my site without any tricky stuff. How much does Sawmill cost anyway after you've had a trial?

Think it was around $100 when we paid for it. That was a little while ago now though.

Deadnala

Fledgling Freddie
Here is one of my old counter scripts:

You need a mysql DBase with folowing table:
counter

Inside counter next fields:
id - Autoincrease - primary key
hits - integer
uniek - integer

Make sure you set primary key!

PHP:
<?php
define('secure', true); // security
include ('include.php'); // Database options
// Get count
mysql_connect($DBhost,$DBuser,$DBpass);
@mysql_select_db("$DBname");
$query = "SELECT * FROM counter";
$counter = mysql_query($query);
while ($num = mysql_fetch_array($counter)) {
	$hits = $num['hits'];
	$uniek = $num['uniek'];
}
// Put count
if($sessiecount <> "yes"){
	if($admin <> "yes"){
		$hits = $hits + 1;
		if ($counted <> "yes"){$uniek = $uniek + 1;}
	}
}
// Put count
$query = "UPDATE counter SET hits='$hits',uniek='$uniek'";
mysql_connect($DBhost,$DBuser,$DBpass);
@mysql_select_db("$DBname");
mysql_query($query);
// write cookie
setcookie("sessiecount","yes");
//enable next line and open the page to write admin to youe own cooky. This to disable your own hits from counting
//setcookie("admin", "yes",time()+(3600*24*365));
setcookie("counted", "yes",time()+(3600*24*365));
echo "<h6><hr><div align=\"center\">This page got $hits hits, $uniek of these where unique</h6></div>";
?>

The include.php file:

PHP:
<?php
if ( !defined('secure') ){
	die("Hacking atempt! ($REMOTE_ADDR loged)");
}
// Variabele //
$DBhost = "localhost";
$DBuser = "Username";
$DBpass = "Password";
$DBname = "Databasename";
?>

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I already have a similar counter on my site. What information does that give you?

Deadnala

Fledgling Freddie
Maljonic said:
I already have a similar counter on my site. What information does that give you?
This example count every hit on your page, but it put a cookie on the user to check if hes counted. If he/she is not counted hes added to the unique field to. the page show the counter like "I got 111 unique hits out of 1111" or simular.

greetz

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Deadnala said:
This example count every hit on your page, but it put a cookie on the user to check if hes counted. If he/she is not counted hes added to the unique field to. the page show the counter like "I got 111 unique hits out of 1111" or simular.

greetz
Ah, that's pretty cool :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom