Math problem

Helme

Resident Freddy
So I apparently have to finish a quiz to get an interview as IT support, and apparently - you do math with the costumers for some obscure reason.... I've lined all other questions with no problems at all but math can seriously fuck off :p

I'm supposed to finish this sequence; 8 - 11 - 10 - 9 - 12 - 7 - ? - ?

So far I've got it to 14 and 5 but I have no idea if this is even remotely correct.

Help please :)

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
14 and 5 is correct

even numbers are going up, odd numbers are going down

Helme

Resident Freddy
Cheers, getting this answer right though still won't answer the bigger question in which is; what the fuck does this question do on a quiz for an interview as pc support, am I going to be solving math problems with the costumers? Oo

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
So I apparently have to finish a quiz to get an interview as IT support, and apparently - you do math with the costumers for some obscure reason.... I've lined all other questions with no problems at all but math can seriously fuck off :p

I'm supposed to finish this sequence; 8 - 11 - 10 - 9 - 12 - 7 - ? - ?

So far I've got it to 14 and 5 but I have no idea if this is even remotely correct.

Help please :)

14 and 5 look right to me.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy

In any finite series you can find a formula that will give you any number next. In these kind of questions you are looking for the simplest formula and as Thorwyn says evens going up, odds going down is the simplest.

Sometimes in job interviews they do trick questions for series by doing something like the numbers on a dartboard or a telephone number or a room number or a time. I guess its one way of finding if people can think "outside the box"

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Cheers, getting this answer right though still won't answer the bigger question in which is; what the fuck does this question do on a quiz for an interview as pc support, am I going to be solving math problems with the costumers? Oo

*g*

Problem solving capabilities in general. You won't have a guide for every problem you'll encounter. You're supposed to fix it anyway.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
*g*

Problem solving capabilities in general. You won't have a guide for every problem you'll encounter. You're supposed to fix it anyway.

:iagree:

Just trying to prove that you can think laterally as well as logically. Makes you a good problem solver, even when the problem or solution isn't what you might normally expect.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
That question is very little to do with maths (unless you think adding or subtracting 2 from a number is tricky) and everything to do with spotting a pattern that isn't always obvious.

Pretty much the same thing you'll be doing with every weird PC problem you'll encounter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom