Games Mass Effect 4

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...ecognisable-and-already-playable-says-bioware
TrusedReviews said:
Electronic Arts
TrusedReviews said:
NASDAQ: EA BioWare studio recentlyannounced that its upcoming Mass Effect game, tentatively titled Mass Effect 4, was already in a playable state. BioWare Edmonton and Montreal general manager Aaryn Flynn commented on the project briefly on Twitter, stating that it was "Ambitious. Beautiful. Fresh but recognizable. And fun."

For those who aren't familiar with BioWare's massively popular franchise, Mass Effect is a critically acclaimed sci-fi role-playing series that has had a polarizing effect on gamers.

The original trilogy allowed gamers to custom build a character known as Commander Shepard (whose gender, first name, and origin story could be modified), who gathered allies across the galaxy to battle the Borg-like synthetic race of world-destroying Reapers.

mass_effect_screenshot-hd_large.jpg

Mass Effect 1. Source: Hdwpapers.com

What made the Mass Effect trilogy such a personal experience for many gamers was that the choices players made in each game carried over to the next one -- characters who died in the first game would not return in subsequent games, and universe-altering decisions made in the first game could reverberate through the rest of the trilogy. Therefore, each player had a slightly different experience throughout the trilogy, which lasted well over 100 hours from start to finish.

However, EA and BioWare were harshly criticized for Mass Effect 3 -- a game that not only felt rushed, but ended the trilogy on a sour, nihilistic note -- destroying most of the universe that had been painstakingly developed over the course of the three games. The backlash was so great that BioWare issued an apology to fans and ultimately patched the game's finale with a longer, although equally gloomy, ending via DLC (downloadable content).

Not much is known about Mass Effect 4 at the moment -- except that it runs on the Frostbite 2 Engine, similar to BioWare's other major upcoming title, Dragon Age: Inquisition. However, the very existence of Mass Effect 4 has plenty of gamers wondering if EA and BioWare can redeem the franchise after the Mass Effect 3 debacle.

What made Bioware great
To understand how Mass Effect evolved, we need to take a look back at BioWare's history, before and after its acquisition by EA in 2007.

BioWare was founded in 1995. It rose to fame with fantasy games like Baldur's Gate (1998) and Neverwinter Nights (2002), but it didn't achieve mainstream recognition until Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003), a seminal sci-fi role-playing game that would set the standard for the "BioWare RPG" over the next decade.

559816-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-windows-screenshot-revan_large.jpg

Knights of the Old Republic. Source: Staubick.wordpress.com

Knights of the Old Republic, which was published by LucasArts and initially released for the original Xbox, took three years to develop. The game, which took place 4,000 years before the events of the Star Wars films, allowed the player to play the role of a Jedi.

What made Knights truly unique was its decisions -- good acts would turn your Jedi toward the Light Side, while evil ones would lead you toward the Dark Side. Based on your actions, your characters' appearance and powers would change accordingly. In addition, the outcome of the story changed considerably based on moral decisions made throughout the game.

BioWare's subsequent games, such as Jade Empire, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect, were all built upon those mechanics introduced in Knights of the Old Republic.

The first Mass Effect, released in 2007 and published by Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT ) , was the perfect evolution of Knights of the Old Republic. It used the same shoot and pause system as Knights, but added more modern combat mechanics such as taking cover.

Mass Effect, in many ways, represented the perfect Star Wars game without the Star Warscharacters. It was also the last game that BioWare would develop before being taken over by EA.

How EA changed Bioware

To understand the impact that EA's acquisition had on BioWare, let's first take a look at the three Mass Effect games.

Platforms

Year released

Total unit sales (all platforms worldwide)

Mass Effect

Windows, Xbox 360

3.4 million

Mass Effect 2

Windows, PS3, Xbox 360

4.6 million

Mass Effect 3

Windows, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U

4.9 million

Source: Vgchartz.com, as of 12/7/2013

Considering that sales numbers keep rising, and EA is spreading Mass Effect to more platforms with every sequel, the arrival of Mass Effect 4 was inevitable.

EA's involvement, starting with Mass Effect 2, considerably altered the original game. The original Mass Effect had some more "hardcore" elements, which were eliminated in Mass Effect 2 and 3. For example, player customization and inventory options were simplified dramatically and the combat system was vastly improved.

me2-05_large.jpg

Mass Effect 2. Source: BioWare.

The graphical enhancements in Mass Effect 2 were also extremely impressive. With EA's budget, BioWare started hiring more recognizable actors, such as Martin Sheen and Yvonne Strahovski, to give the game a truly impressive, Hollywood blockbuster feel.

With all of those enhancements, however, came a lot of DLCs -- downloadable content that gamers pay extra for. Let's take a look at the number of DLCs that each Mass Effect game asked players to purchase.

Number of DLCs

Total combined cost (retail)

Mass Effect

$5-$6

Mass Effect 2

$41-$45

Mass Effect 3

$58

Note: Free DLCs were included in the final count. Source: masseffect.wikia.com

In other words, to enjoy the "full" Mass Effect 2 or 3 experience as EA envisioned it, players had to pay double the price of the original game.

Some of the DLCs, such as Mass Effect 2's Lair of the Shadow Broker, was high-quality content, while others, such as Mass Effect 3's From Ashes, simply appeared to be deleted content from the original game.

To many gamers, constantly adding on paid chapters started to ruin the franchise. No longer was Shepard's adventure decided by the choices made in the game, but it was defined by the number of additional DLC purchases made throughout the course of the trilogy.

Will Mass Effect 4 be a sequel, a prequel, or neither?

The original Mass Effect trilogy suffered from the same problem as Hollywood film trilogies -- it started off with a promising, self-contained story, followed it up with a flashier second chapter that ended on a cliffhanger, and concluded with a messy third act that completely tarnished memories of the original.

The big problem with introducing Mass Effect 4 now is that the story -- and the known universe -- came to an abrupt end at the conclusion of the third game. Any story that happens now will have to take place prior to the original trilogy or possibly thousands of years in the future.

However, the universe that BioWare created with the original trilogy, now expanded with comic books and novels, is as rich as (if not richer than) the Star Wars universe. If done right, Mass Effect 4 could very well be worth the wait.

What do you think, dear readers? Will BioWare take its time and impress us with Mass Effect 4, or is it destined to become a bloated mess that reminds us just how much EA has changed BioWare?

Even More Premium Stock Picks
The market stormed out to huge gains across 2013, leaving investors on the sidelines burned. However, opportunistic investors can still find huge winners. The Motley Fool's chief investment officer has just hand-picked one such opportunity in our new report: "The Motley Fool's Top Stock for 2014." To find out which stock it is and read our in-depth report, simply click here. It's free!

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Mass Effect as a -series- was awesome, sure #3 was a bit squiffy, but not terminally so

the main problem is: the story was done, it ended, you died (twice).. so its clearly an EA exec going OH LOOK MONEY rather than someone going "hey i got a good idea for a game"

kill it with fire imo

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
Not really... it's just another story in that universe. Like... er... Dragon Age and Dragon Age 2, or, to choose something more successful, Star Trek, Star Trek Next Gen and Star Trek Deep Space 9. Completely different stories, same universe.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
If we are to believe the president of BW then ME4 will not be a sequel. At best it will be a spinof featuring some of the other characters, but Shepard will more then likely never make a major appearance (if at all).

And to be perfectly honest, with the unmitigated clusterfuck ending ME3 had i'm more then happy about that.

But we will probably never going to see a continuation of ME3's ending with another main character. Because no matter what choice you picked in ME3, i don't think they could justify anyone to be insane enough to start another war after that. Not if they want the franchise to survive at least.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Milk those mouth breathers EA, milk them!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
...and battlefield, and command and conquer, and pretty much every franchise EA have got their grubby little hands on.

Buy it
Milk it
Ruin it
Drop it

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah a few guildies were on about it the other day, slightly tempted to have a look, is the free 2 play part worth bothering with?

Mabs

wouldnt touch the F2P model still

but you get the Hutt Cartel free if you sub, and the new free flight pvp is in so

Litmus

Resident Freddy
SWTOR worth trying as someone thats never played it?.. like me

Mabs

SWTOR worth trying as someone thats never played it?.. like me

F2P - i wouldnt bother except to try the feel, controls, etc.. as its VERY restricted at any real level, ok up to lvl 10 i suppose
sub - yes if you like that sort of thing

PvE levelling - reasonable speed, very well written, very immersive /KOTORy
dungeons while lvling - reasonable pop speed even for DPS now with server merges
lvl 55 stuff - new daily planets , & weekly events -> stuff to do
55 dungeons - removed role requirements off them (only 2) so you can gear up rapidly (done them with -tank,tank,healer,healer-... -healer, dps,dps,dps-...-tank,dps,dps,dps )
55 raid - not done any yet :(

PVP - WOWesque: battlegrounds, pug or group, random and rated, some new ones in, first bg is 11-54, second is 55. everyone gets Bolstered*
pvp flying - i dont like it, but you can free-form fly and pvp , new feature of the free space addon that just came out (the 'on rails' pve space missions still exist)

classic game goes up to 50, if you sub you get the 50-55 expansion Hutt Cartel free

*Bolster: everyones gear is normalised to capped lvl and Expertise (pvp stat) so a lvl 11 and a 54 have same HP, pvp resists, etc.. just less skills

tldr: if youre looking for DAOCy PVP, no, if youre looking for a solid game thats decent fun with plenty to keep you quiet for a month or 2, give it a go

my Refer a friend : http://www.swtor.com/r/m3GYbY gets you a few bits and pieces if you sign up etc
oh and my lot play on "The Red Eclipse"

Cirventhor

Can't get enough of FH
I'd say SWTOR is worth a playthrough at least, from 1-50, on one or two of the classes you're most interested in. But I'd suggest to sub up instead of relying on the half-arsed F2P-model. Just don't expect anything like DAoC or even open-world-themepark like WoW/LOTRO/Rift. The zones are very much zones and with a few exceptions feels very fenced in, which is one of my main issues with the game.

On a side note, I wonder if we're going to see any differences in how EA acts now that they got a new CEO back in september. Probably not. :eek:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I really enjoyed levelling to 50 on a couple of characters, definitely worth at least trying. The end game wasn't al that good, there was nothing that wasn't done better elsewhere...or at least when I played and quit shortly after release...they may have improved it since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom