Mars Trilogy.

Sar

Part of the furniture
I'm currently reading Green Mars atm, by Kim Stanley Robinson. I read the first book ages ago, and vaguely remember what happened in it. Has anyone else read all three? What did you think of them?

leggy

Probably Scottish
I read the first one (red) and it bored me to tears. You can imagine that I didn't bother reading green or blue.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Big concepts, but all a bit...worthy, you know? I ploughed my way through 'em a few years ago, but I wouldn't particularly want to repeat the experience.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I figured these books would have basically the same storyline as Total Recall, so never bothered :)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
RedVenom said:
But its sci-fi.

Thats all anyone reads, right?

Not quite, some people here read fantasy as well... We also listen to all types of music, both country AND western! ;)

I read other stuff, a lot of it very boring work-related books on Information Security, although I do read thrillers, and non fiction. I'm reading a very interesting book at the moment, called 'the 48 laws of power', a great book on how to influence people, but not necessarily make any friends!

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
DaGaffer said:
Big concepts, but all a bit...worthy, you know? I ploughed my way through 'em a few years ago, but I wouldn't particularly want to repeat the experience.

Tried the first book, Red Mars, gave up. Couldn't get into it! Same with Salt.

If you want good SF, read Alastair Reynolds, Ken Macleod, David Brin, or a whole bunch of others that I've read in my book collection (currently 4 ikea bookcases rammed full of books, maybe I should start a library? ;) ).

RedVenom

Banned
inactionman said:
Not quite, some people here read fantasy as well... We also listen to all types of music, both country AND western! ;)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Its very very rare that theres any threads, or any replies to threads about anything other than popularist pulp.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
RedVenom said:
Its very very rare that theres any threads, or any replies to threads about anything other than popularist pulp.

That what you get with gamers! Games tend to be an escapist form of entertainment, so people who play games would normally be interested in other escapist forms of entertainment like SF & Fantasy books, Action films, etc. At least we don't read real pap like Mills & Boon novels! :rolleyes:

And some of that 'popularist pulp' as you put it, has some very interesting philosphical elements, obviously the minority of it though!

Much pain in you I sense, perhaps a frustrated writer in you resides? ;)

Hot Soup

Fledgling Freddie
I've quite happily read them a few times .... but I quite enjoy reading about all the science and political machinations.

Granted it can be a little dry and it can come across as trying to be a little too worthy.

As for the years of rice and salt which is what i assume inactionman menas .. I've had a proof copy sitting on my bookshelf for ages and can never get past the first 50 pages ;(

RedVenom

Banned
inactionman said:
That what you get with gamers! Games tend to be an escapist form of entertainment, so people who play games would normally be interested in other escapist forms of entertainment like SF & Fantasy books, Action films, etc. At least we don't read real pap like Mills & Boon novels! :rolleyes:

And some of that 'popularist pulp' as you put it, has some very interesting philosphical elements, obviously the minority of it though!

Much pain in you I sense, perhaps a frustrated writer in you resides? ;)

aha. I'm no author, but if you ask anyone else on here I'm sure they'd say something about me being a pain.

And whilst I agree, it IS painful that all that ever gets discussed is a limited genre. And as insightful as some of it is (I concur on the point), its pretty samey and tedious once you get down to it. I have nothing against a good bit of sci-fi, its quite a break. But its also dull as a staple diet.

Taen

Fledgling Freddie
amazing books .. so intelligent, a cut above the rest really...

xane

Fledgling Freddie
RedVenom said:
it IS painful that all that ever gets discussed is a limited genre.

Too right, I also notice that every single person on here uses a computer too, and most of them play games on them !!!

I was only remarking this to my poor dear old mother as she put down her Jeffrey Archer, fired up her 2MB phat pipe, and proceeded to lay down some serious ownage on a few Eddings-lovers with her Railgun.

How typical of the elder generation, and they say you shouldn't stereotype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom