Map cycle

O

old.Yeti

Any chance we could just scrap z5, ultrav and aerowalk? :) I (and others) agree that they suck.
Maybe z5 isn't that bad actually, but the other two really bore me, most ppl drop when they come on. Tho don't get rid of z6, no matter what ppl say :p
Thx.

C

cosmos

agreed.
z6 owns, but maybe thats cause it's new and and no1 had seen it before etc.
How about a few more unknown maps?

H

HangTime

Personally i am reasonably happy with the map cycle, along with other changes like bunnyfix, nailhack etc its now the best ffa server in the world. Let's face it, we will never be able to satisfy every1 with map selection.

Having said that, i'd like to lose ukcldm2 and ultrav. Uk2 usually clears the server, but uv is relatively popular with other players so perhaps it should stay. dm6, e1m2 and asylum ( ftp://ftp.barrysworld.com/quake1/maps/barrysworldservermapsdm/asylum.zip ) would make good replacements.
Maybe even distinguish the two servers, one for smaller maps and the other for larger or something. That way players like yeti who dont want small maps like uv, z5, aero, z3 etc could play on the other server with the like of uk2, a9, e4m3, dm3. this would also allow a lower maxclients (6) on the smaller server to make spamming less of a problem.

O

old.Yeti

Um, I have no problems with small maps if they are well made. Imo ultrav is just a poor egyptian excuse for a map; too many weapons promote major spam. Also, I don't have a problem with the way z5 plays, I just think it is less fun than other maps which include quad. I find aerowalk boring, as with z5, there is less of a goal + challenge when there is no quad to compete over. As for z3 its brilliant, very close to perfect. UK2, hmm, can't say i've seen many dropping on it, plays alrite imo.
I think we are in agreement that ultrav sux tho, replacing it with dm6 as ht said would be a good idea. (and yes dm6 lacks a quad, before someone mentions it. but its well made, with the right amount of weapons/ammo :))

[Edited by Yeti on 17-03-01 at 15:49]

C

cosmos

personally, i drop when ultrav/aerowalk/ztndm5 come on, so very very ZzZz

O

old.andy0r

I can't drop because i don't join at all anymore :( I prefer to play on GI:World or XS4All FFA nowadays. Yes, i get worse ping/pl. Yes i can't bunnyhop properly on those server. And yes it's dmm1 on GI. Their map cycle isn't the best either but i am really sick of playing the same map twice in just 20 or 30 minutes (and i don't like the maps on BW FFA...)

H

HangTime

i dread to think what andy would have made of the ffa server when it was a 4 map cycle :) personally i loathe GI globalnet due to broken physics (try wall-strafing or strafe-jumping, never mind bunnyhops) and dmm1, axes4all is the most popular ffa server in the world according to clq stats and i can appreciate some ppl may prefer those types of maps. just for me a lot of episode maps are too linear (making it hard to come by weapons, easy to camp among other things) and 20 mins on the same map is unbearable if i dont like it. at least on BW ffa i can put up with a map i dislike as i know if will change within 12mins at most.

i still think having 2 servers both running the same cycle is a bit unneccesary... maybe one could stay the same and the other have lower maxclients, or bring in a new map every fortnight or so to spice things up

[Edited by HangTime on 24-03-01 at 05:47]

C

cosmos

heh, u know how BW feel about QW these days ;p
4get it

C

cosmos

I retract that last statement, I was in a bad mood and i love BarrysWorld :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom