News Man prosecuted over obscene Bebo comments...

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Man (27) prosecuted over obscene Bebo messages - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

What are your views on this? We are not told but obscene suggests sexual or harassing.

BUT to keep in mind - the comment he posted on HER profile can be deleted by her at ANY time.

Is the 3000 euro fine (to be paid to the victim) correct? Should he have had more? Should it have just been a warning?

edit - I should mention - bebo is a social networking site like facebook and myspace.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
You don't know what he said - she could be like 13 years old and he could be a fat stinky 65 year old man who spends his day wanking over teen pictures, playing computer games, watching Star Trek, drinking, smoking, and walking about the house in his dirty pants.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
If she could deleet it or not is kinda beside the point imo tbh,
By the time the first person other than himself read it the damage would have been done. Must have been bad tho for the site to actualyl report it, and a judge to fine him that much...

the girl was 16 and the chap 27 (for lamp who cba to read stuff)

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
The problem is

there are lots of comments that are obscene on bebo.

Find an attractive girl's profile and you will have anything from:

'lush!'

to

'let me bury my head in your muff' (and worse).

Is it right that prosecution is undertaken for such actions? Is it not the responsibility of Bebo to moderate these comments?

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Its the responsibility of people on the net to realize that no one gives a fuck what people write on your profile :>

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
You don't know what he said - she could be like 13 years old and he could be a fat stinky 65 year old man who spends his day wanking over teen pictures, playing computer games, watching Star Trek, drinking, smoking, and walking about the house in his dirty pants.

Excuse me but I don't smoke and I am only 33!

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Meh, bebo is for retards anyway.

Let them stew in their own pit of stupidity.

Zede

Part of the furniture
stupid irish cnut ( the cry baby woman that is)

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture

Sorry for the scepticism but, yea, riiiiiight!

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
this is pretty huge from a legal perspective

tilda feel free to correct me

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
tbh, it was bloody time.

Some people act like idiots online, saying stuff they would never dream of saying in real life in face to face conflicts and sometimes even saying stuff that would be illegal to say, and then expect that it is legal because it is online.

About time some of the fuckers learnt their leasons to be bloody honest.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Some people act like idiots online, saying stuff they would never dream of saying in real life in face to face conflicts and sometimes even saying stuff that would be illegal to say, and then expect that it is legal because it is online.

About time some of the fuckers learnt their leasons to be bloody honest.

Look around this place, wait three years, and we'll come knocking on your door saying "happy now?"

Ezteq

Queen of OT
there was a case where a guy had been done for "forcing" a young teenager girl to do things on webcam, from his computer, he wasnt even in contact with the girl except on line... now this may be highly controversial of me but i dont think he should have been done i think the girls parents should have been looked at for letting a young gal have a webcam because we all know what theyre for (yes they are, dont try and deny it they are made for naughtyness!) and i really do not see how someone can force someone to do something without being physically present. I mean if the kid is that stupid (yes she was, she was stupid and weak) so if shes that vulnerable she certainly be allowed anywhere near this place.

i am not saying its not wrong to get young teens to do this or to speak to them like that but tbh this is what happens on the net and if the parents really want t protect their kids from it then they shouldnt let em on it. i like the fact the net is full of resque pervy stuff i dont want all that glorious freedom of pervertedness to end because some child heard a rude.

keep the kids out and let the grown ups play imo, bebo can piss off.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Agree with Ez tbh.

If parents let their children play on the internet behind a closed door in their bedroom then they are to blame.
Lets stop blaming crap parenting on everything else in the world and come down hard on the idiots that think a kid is a great way of getting extra money from the government.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
(yes they are, dont try and deny it they are made for naughtyness!)

Hmpf.

And no, we SHOULD start, for a f*cking start, blaming the parents for all this sh*t.

Neglagence, not care, TV babysitting and PC "don't hit" sh*t has really f*cked things up.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Simple - make it so that if people want to use social networking sites they have to register a credit card or solo card (hence be at least 16 or 18) I would suggest some other e-based id card system, which could be verified but people will start screaming 'Oo Big Brother, Information state!' so I won't bother with that.

Making it something that only 16 or 18 year old's can get will protect the vulnerable. As I've banged on about before, I'm a teacher and what some of the kids have got up to on these sites is disgusting (disclaimer: I have ofc informed parents and/or the child protection officers in school when I've come across this) and frightening. Kids are already in a hurry to grow up, and this deepens their desire to do so to the stage where they do things they don't really want to do (particularly with girls, flashing their bra's/boobs, else boys stop chatting with them). All wrong on so many levels.

Back on topic - maybe the girl could have deleted the comments herself, but if some twat wrecked my car I could get it repaired, I know the comparison is extreme but it's the same argument - just because the act can be ammended doesn't mean it's not wrong in the first place.

If he was that fat and had that lifestyle he'd be dead at 55 :eek6:

Eww at asome of that, other than Star Trek and drinking, nothing wrong with those, especially DS9 which I quite enjoyed. Sod Voyager though - don't EVER let women do the driving....:p

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Eww at asome of that, other than Star Trek and drinking, nothing wrong with those, especially DS9 which I quite enjoyed. Sod Voyager though - don't EVER let women do the driving....:p

Given your on a forum originally about a computer game, shouldn't you of included that in your list of acceptable things...

*look about*

no wait, maybe you were right!

Mey

Part of the furniture
there was a case where a guy had been done for "forcing" a young teenager girl to do things on webcam, from his computer, he wasnt even in contact with the girl except on line... now this may be highly controversial of me but i dont think he should have been done i think the girls parents should have been looked at for letting a young gal have a webcam because we all know what theyre for (yes they are, dont try and deny it they are made for naughtyness!) and i really do not see how someone can force someone to do something without being physically present. I mean if the kid is that stupid (yes she was, she was stupid and weak) so if shes that vulnerable she certainly be allowed anywhere near this place.them like that but tbh this is what happens on the net and if the parents really want t protect their kids from it then they shouldnt let em on it. i like the fact the net is full of resque pervy stuff i dont want all that glorious freedom of pervertedness to end because some child heard a rude.

i am not saying its not wrong to get young teens to do this or to speak to

keep the kids out and let the grown ups play imo, bebo can piss off.

tbh ez, I agree with what you are saying about the parents taking responsibility for what there children are doing but totally disagree about not being able to force someone to do something unless you a physically present.

He could of said all kinds of things to her in order to make her do whatever on the webcam. What you have to remeber is young people are stupid, if he said do this or I will come to your house and kill you or something or other then it's likely that she probably would of done said action to avoid the threats being carried out.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
He could of said all kinds of things to her in order to make her do whatever on the webcam. What you have to remeber is young people are stupid, if he said do this or I will come to your house and kill you or something or other then it's likely that she probably would of done said action to avoid the threats being carried out.

and if she's not mature enough to realise this is impossible and she should have just hit print screen and nailed the swine she is too naieve to be allowed online imo, kids are kids the best way to protect them is supervision.

parents cant expect everything to be laid out for them they want safe playgrounds, safe internet, safe this blah blah blah just watch your flaming kids and they will be safe

letting them do god knows what when they are not old enough to assess a possible threat is stupidity beyond stupidity. im sick of everyone else having to take responsibility for other people people should take responsibility for themselves and their own damn offspring im not a babysitter.

im too busy watching naked webcams for that.

Mey

Part of the furniture
But since when have kids told there parents anything.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
exactly and the parents used to be kids so they should know how devious and untrustworthy most kids actually are so should take steps to prevent such goings on and supervise their goddammned offspring!

im fighting for the right to protect my pervy-net here people!!!

*does not supervise offspring*

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
its bullshit calling children devious without calling the upbringing screwed up. i sure as well wasnt devious as a child and i do think its petty excuse for people having bad experiences.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Naive or gullible teens on the interwebs with noncaring parents is todays comedy sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom