Making Daoc Videos

L

little_guy

Just wondered what software people used and where i can download it from?

Also how you use it with 2 PC's networked?

D

Drakin

:) i got fraps ... any good compression software?
also any recommended settings for fraps... i got amazing quality but the file size is also amazing :/

E

etaew

lower the framerate.. i think 20-25 or something is a good comprimise between quality and size.. but i cant remember the details.. try using divx to compress it.. i know i did it once.. but i cant remember how.. try http://www.divx.com

B

BlitheringIdiot

Frapps to record the footage
VirtualDub to compress the files to smaller .avi
Windows Movie Maker to edit the files (saves as .wmv)
DrDivX to compress the files again to DivX .avi

I never really understood much about DivX but that process always worked well for me. /shrug

E

etaew

any idea why my windows movie maker keeps on crashing. i think i got v2 with win xp.. every time i try and enter text or something.. it crashes to desktop

B

BlitheringIdiot

Erm no idea, but apparantly I've got v5.1, so you might want to consider updating.

E

etaew

nope.. i got 5.1 too just checked.. pfft.. if in doubt blame goa :)

L

little_guy

Cheers guys.

Im in a hub network. How to get a hubbed PC to run the fraps program instead of the PC im using cos it kinda uses alot of the PC resources?

D

Drakin

says movie maker is xp only :( im runnin windows 2000 any others ?

T

Twaize

Yeah but I alrdy have FRAPS...

Helped the developer once and got it for free!

T

Twaize

I wanted to try VirtualDub today so I downloaded it and converted and old movie f mine that was 500.000 kb... after conversion it was 2.000.000 kb....

Edited: Doh chose an XviD codec and surdently it was 66 mb :D

S

Shike

Originally posted by etaew
any idea why my windows movie maker keeps on crashing. i think i got v2 with win xp.. every time i try and enter text or something.. it crashes to desktop

i have exact same problem, I use a program called U-lead video(something) instead.

One can edit with Virtualdub aswell afaik.

B

BlitheringIdiot

VirtualDub is fairly limited though. Cant comment on Move maker crashing as its never happened to me, I wouldnt know where to start with solving the problem.

D

Drakin

Originally posted by Twaize
I wanted to try VirtualDub today so I downloaded it and converted and old movie f mine that was 500.000 kb... after conversion it was 2.000.000 kb....

Edited: Doh chose an XviD codec and surdently it was 66 mb :D

same problem how i change it to xvid codec :(

G

Gladiatorrr

Ok, for those clever shights out there...... ive downloaded Fraps and ive got it working but all i get is teh top left hand side of the screen so i can see my character or hardly anything!
Any ideas please and keep it simple as i aint got a clue about PCs hehe!

D

Drakin

aye dude thats the free version only one corner need to buy full version :(

P

pitspawn

VIVO -> S-Video -> VIVO better than fraps.

Capture at good resolution, antialiased motion blurred images with zero cpu overhead. Only problem is you need two computers, one with video out other with video in at a minimum.

Only bad thing is i seem to get a border with s-video, but im positive there is a workaround for it. If anyone knows it id be happy to hear it ;)

E

eynar

Originally posted by Shike
heh, that prog is anything but easy to use tho :)
True, but once you get the hang of it it owns. Except for the price tho.

N

)nick(

Whether you get a border when using s-video is up to the video out card you're using. I find the Nvidia TV out to be better overall quality than the ATI one I'm currently using. The border can be cropped easily in any respectable editing suite or at the point of rendering/compression.

I'm still not entirely sure which codec to use for compression. I prefer WMV at the moment because with divx/xvid in veedub my gamma is screwed after compression. WMV takes a lot longer to encode though and you can't use the LAME MP3 encoder for sound.

Users who are viewing this thread