Making a web page.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So, a friend of mine is making a webby and asked me(gods only know why :eek7: ) for a hand in hand, step by step advice on how to make one.

Hell be frozen over if i know f*ck all about how to make a webby.

So i turn to the google maniacs, compy ragers and king goombas of web design....or Freddies...for advice.

Any links with info on "how to" would be appreciated. Or just info, tips, advice.

EDIT: Oh and, evidently i'm silly enough not to look into the webdev forum for this...*cough*...excuse mua for the postage of this thread :(

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Use as many animated gifs as possible, nothing says 'individual' like a page full of great animations.

One of my favourite examples ever is this monstrosity from SA :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
babs said:
Use as many animated gifs as possible, nothing says 'individual' like a page full of great animations.

lol, forgot about that one. Yeah, animated gifs, 2000x2000 white background image, soundfiles that can't be turned off and play at a 300% volume, pop-up windows of same page and a pop-up for you to set it as your homepage, links to everywhere, including that page, that open in new window and ofcourse adds to destroy any braincell the browser might have left ensure a good website.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
babs said:

wow! that totally roxxors my boxxors!!!

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

CSS Zen Geocities: Living proof that web standards can be ugly too :)

If you want to learn about standards from a hand-coding point of view, then I can happily recommend W3Schools (apparently it may not suite everyone, though, so I've been told).

Admittedly, FrontPage or Dreamweaver may be easier to use in the short-term as they allow you to design visually, but if your friend ever has the time then learning about standards properly will help no end.

If you ever need full-blown detail, then the W3C Specifications can be very helpful, if a tad daunting.

And, of course, there are plenty of resources and helpful-types on the aforementioned WebDev forum.

Kind Regards

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Babs that site puts a virus in my temp file! :eek:
'Joke-EjectCD'... :(

I would install firefox or opera or whatever but it's against company policy to use anything other than IE. Granted all IT-support use firefox but my boss isn't having anything other than IE. :/

babs

Can't get enough of FH
1. I didn't make the site.
2. Your company policy must be to either never get security updates or set no security whatsoever in IE. I even dared to try IE here just now at home and even I got a popup asking me if I wanted to install it.

Smack those idiots upside the head, or download one of the older firebird/phoenix betas which just ran from a folder, no registry entries or installer.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Jonty said:
If you want to learn about standards from a hand-coding point of view, then I can happily recommend W3Schools (apparently it may not suite everyone, though, so I've been told).

BEST SITE EVER.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Doh_boy said:
I would install firefox or opera or whatever but it's against company policy to use anything other than IE. Granted all IT-support use firefox but my boss isn't having anything other than IE. :/
Hi Doh_boy

Depending how much you want to run Firefox and how heavily your work machine access is locked down, it is possible to run Firefox from a USB key and have all the settings and such stored on the drive. Just search Mozillazine or the likes for instructions, should you wish to try.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Having just Googled it, it may be possible to wire up Opera to work in a similar manner :)

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
He the only real reason I've not installed it is because I'm on a temporary machine and can't be arsed. The machine's up for being re-imaged so the amount of virus' on it doesn't really matter. My machine, which is in a different building to the one I'm in (hence the temp machine) has firefox on it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom