Making a film

Iphis

Fledgling Freddie
well i finally got a new pc....one which can run 2 accs and run a Game cam.

so i make a couple clips.....search the fh for editor....see sony vegas seems a decent choice, dl it start playing around with the options....im still a nub so wasnt very interesting but put a couple clips together the lasts 1.5 mins.

I then go to render it to an avi file and it takes about 20 mins....the file size jumps to 350mb and the quality it reduced massively....becomes jerky and leaves trails.

What am i doing wrong....thx for any help still new to the movie making game :)

Iphis

Fledgling Freddie
RS|Pikoah said:
try find Fraps, ncie for films

Prob is you have to pay for fraps
also still going to need an editor to sort the clips into a film....

the rendering seems to make the files massive and make the film jerky
am i doing something wrong?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
you do need to pay for fraps yes, but its well worth the money (think it was only £15.00)

Shad

Fledgling Freddie
you still need to compres the files to divx or something after used fraps.

i have tried Virtualdub to compres my files with, its free and was working for me

or you can try to find your answer here http://www.videohelp.com/guides

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
I been making films for ages and driving everyone bonkers too by constantly advertising them:

Films

All you need is Fraps and Movie Maker 2. Fraps you will have to pay for to unlock it's full potential though I think a trial is available. Movie Maker 2 is a free download which I always get from download.com as it is a lot easier than making my way to Microsoft which is where the file originates from.

You make a movie in Fraps and Movie Maker 2 alters it to a tiny file. A 3-4 hundred Mb avi file will drop to 4-5 Mbs wmv file. Marvellous really and is absolutely simple to do. You import the avi file into Movie Maker and edit it if you want to - add music etc - then resave. When you resave it as a wmv file it is automatically reduced in size.

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
Not surprised - look at the price!

Think I will stick with my 2.4 ghz, Fraps and Movie Maker 2 thank you :D .

Eva

Can't get enough of FH
The differance between fraps and gamecam isen't very big, just that fraps files are way larger than gamecam, but slightly better quality. For editing I'd use Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas. In adobe you'd need to save it uncompressed then compress it in virtual dub which takes alot of hd space, in vegas you can do it instantly. Movie Maker is an easy program, but the quality sucks. Premiere is a bit easier from my experience, I havn't figured out Vegas yet and I don't think I will bother really since I don't make much movies on my own. :p

Crookshanks

Fledgling Freddie
I've got a fairly beefy system running duel head (two screens, one on the digital output and one on the analogue output from the graphics card), which is quite nice as you can pull maps and things up on the one screen while playing (in windowed mode) on the other.

What I'm wondering is - can I shove an analogue tv tuner card in the box (one of the hauppage ones with a hardware mpeg encoder for about one hundred pounds) and feed the svideo out signal out the graphics card into the svideo in on the tv card, and encode in real time using the hardware encoder? Obviously I'll see the start bar on my movies, but I guess that could be removed at the editing phase.

Comos

Loyal Freddie
You can save it compressed in Adobe Premiere as well as far as I know, at least with the latest version you can, there are many codecs to select from when you select export - movie.

I've used both fraps and gamecam, and I prefer gamecam tbh. If you set it on 800*600 the quality is very good and it takes relatively low disk space, maybe 700 meg-ish / hour recorded. There also seem to be more functions on gamecam, but prolly more then you'll need anyways.

As for editting, I've used both Movie Maker and Adobe Premiere. Movie Maker is ok if you want an easy program to start with, pretty basic but it has most you need. The version I used crashed way too often though, which was frustrating. If that could be fixed and the ability to safe movies using the bunch of codecs Adobe Premiere offers to save in, not just the .wmv format, Movie Maker would be a very nice program, for most users.
I'm gonne try out that Movie Maker 2 though, still had an older version, maybe that one is better.

If you take some time to learn how to work with adobe premiere you can do make very nice movies with a lot of nifty effects etc though.

uhm after recording some stuff.. i need ze wmp codec. anyone know which one it is? :p

cba to make new thread now this is here :(

Comos

Loyal Freddie
If you install Ace Mega Codecs pack (google) then you should have all the codecs needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom