(Shovel)

Windows XP Home SP1
WMP 9 + Codec Pack
Nero Codec Pack (version 5 I think)

AMD Athlon 1.333 Ghz
768 MB 133 SDRAM
Abit KT7a
Abit Geforce 4 Ti4200

OK: I've had a few video problems recently, one (startup crash on Tony Hawk 3) claimed to be a video problem relating to the Nero codecs and a command from the Run.. prompt fixed it.

However, there are serious issues with some in game videos. Namely Monkey Island 3 (Curse of...). Sometimes the clips freeze immediately, or sometimes run too fast (with no sound) and then crash the game.

I don't know what causes it, running XP in compatability mode doesn't solve the problem at all so it doesn't seem to be that. I'm worried that it is the codecs.

Does anyone know if this is a cause of such problems? MI3 runs fine on my girlfriend's XP machine (similar specs).

Any ideas on this? Also: If I have to remove the codecs and install standard ones, is there an easy way that I can keep the audio codecs (if they are definately not the problem) since they are rather useful in WinAmp's DiskWriter plug in.

Thanks

E

Embattle

Nero or Nemo?

If it is Nemo then I used to install it but had a few problems with various codecs, I now use Gspot to find exactly which codec is needed for a film etc.

C

.Cask

There was a fix for some video crashing issues put on the windows update not so long ago. Have ya run that lately?

S

(Shovel)

Indeed I do mean Nemo - sorry.

OK, well I'll try getting rid of it and see if that sorts out the problems.

And yes, I run Windows Update every week so I doubt I'll have missed that fix. I'll run it again now though and see what comes up. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom