mages in pvp?

Jerbear

Fledgling Freddie
hey guys. i have a lvl 14 mage on a pvp server in WoW and in any duel i go into with a guy that has a pet mainly hunter cuase they shoot alot faster than i cast and by teh time i get one spell of they have hit me 4-5 pluss times whil ethere pet is killing me also :s (hunters shoot so fast) and some warlocs i cant beat them. i will polymorph them and they pet keep attacking me takeing my life ponts and slows my casting down and by the time polymorph ends i usualy have less life them the guy ive been casting on. and i tried polymophing the pet and that works worse. and info on this would help much. and are mages mostly a group char? thanx guys for your help!

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
stick with it.. at 20 you'll get blink and hunters wont give you a problem..
usually when fighting hunters i stick up mana shield till their pet arrives at me. then i blink to em.. Frost nova... Poly the pet.. and charge a fireball for the hunter... Hunters are unfortunate that they have a dead zone between melee and bow, means they cant hurt you at all until the Frost nova's over. get a hang of this distance, major helpful. loadsa time to charge a nice big nuke..and their melee dmg is usually fairely low.

things are difficult at your level. only 1 decent insta... not enuff talents to make your Arcane explosion insta. after 20 its easier.. after 26 its much easier when your blessed with Cone of Cold.
Can't say i've had much trouble with Warlocks tbh, but in all honesty there aint a great deal of em around(for me atleast).
but usually i just ignore the pet.. the warlock dies fast enuff that it doesnt seem worth wasting mana on the pet.. i find the biggest issue with warlocks is DoT's ticking away.. but a well placed Counterspell(when u get it) will turn a fight in your favour.
keep close to em is my suggestion.

get a few more levels under your wing n you wont regret sticking with the mage.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Pretty much agree with what Ves said, just keep at it... classes using magic don't come into their own until past level 20-30, when you have a full array of tricks to play with.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Wait until you get blink, really annoying. Screw the pet and go for the hunter, we do really suck in meele, even a thane would own a hunter.

Jerbear

Fledgling Freddie
hey guys thanx for the info on the mage. one more question though. i was thinking about starting a new char. cause the mage was my very first char. i was thinking about starting a rogh. everybody says they love there roghs. i use to ply doac and i loved caters in that game mainly a cabby and casters in WoW just dont seem as fun but maybe it is becuase im lvl 14 :s. and i kinda wanted to start a melee class. is a rogh a good choice or should i just stick with the mage. any info on this would help me alot thanx alot fo ryou post already keep them comeing :clap:

Tsabo

Fledgling Freddie
I'm a lvl 33 Mage on PvP and cant say I have too many problems, blink is a great help, but im arcance/frost spec. So I have the uninteruptable Arc missles, insta arc exploison and faster frost bolt. I tend to poly pets if needs be, then frost bolt, but if i start gettin interupted then just used arc missles that cant be interupted :) every time you do arc missles use your insta fire dd too, the recast timer on the insta fire dd is about the same length as it takes to channel arc missles, i usually smack in an insta pbae for good measure too :)

Best thing i found is blow off all your instas every chance you get, so thats insta fire dd, insta pbae, inst cone of cold. It's a fair amount of damage/effects and all done quickly meaning healing classes find it hard to heal with the large amount of shock type damage.

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
Nothing wrong with mage, but at lowlevel they lack afew abilitys xD

Wyleia

Fledgling Freddie
Mages are great in pvp. Hunters are a bit lol at higher levels as you get spells that are uniterruptable through talents (ie go for the Improve Arcane missiles and Improved Arcane Explosion ASAP in your talent build, you should have that all by level 24). Pets hitting on me never give me a problem, they tickle a little sure :) You will also get a spell called Mana shield which protects you from a certain amt of physical dmg, using your mana instead of your health. If you get the right gear you should have a load of mana/hit points. And no i dont mean all epic gear, just gear that gives stamina/int.. Play the mage til 30, make sure you use your talent points right, then see if it sucks. If it does, role another class cuz you cant play mage properly :)

BTW u cannot polymorph a warlocks pet.. its a demon and u can only poly humanoids and animals.. perhaps that why you had problems with poly ? :p

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
Wyleia said:
(ie go for the Improve Arcane missiles and Improved Arcane Explosion ASAP in your talent build, you should have that all by level 24).

would definately agree with this.. Improved arcane missile was the first thing i went for.. even for PvE its uber
and as for Arcane explosion... its amazing once its insta... you can storm around and through your target not only dmg'ing pretty heavily but reducing his dmg on you cos he's spinning to bring ya into line of sight :)

and a hunters finished once your up close.

gotta be pretty careful with mana shield though ... it uses far to much mana to just stick it up all the time. i tend to use it when fighting multiple melee classes or while waiting for certain timers to reset.. but if your not careful you'll sap your mana on it n then the fights over for you.

Wyleia

Fledgling Freddie
Yes if you expect to use a lot of mana in a fight, make sure you use mana shield wisely. I always carry the best mana pots, have my mana jade or whatever up, and i also specced for evocation. So in 1vs1 I have mana to spare. But if im running about without a healer, its a lifesaver. Least let you last a bit longer maybe get a kill or two before you go oop or die :)

I was about 1k of my mana into mana shield any fight that im taking physical dmg, but then again i have 4500 mana at level 45 so I can afford to waste it :)

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
yer Evocations a life saver when fighting multiple.. great to just resheep the second after killin the first.. Evoc to nearly full mana then continue to kill the second.

must admit i never feel i've got mana to spare though even though i take those same precautions( pots, gems). then again my mage is only 38.. my mana pools just shy of 3300.. but my hps are over 1400.. not actually sure if thats good or not:p but it seems to be compared to the mages i fight.

still, trying to trade in some stam for intel.. my mana pool feels pathetic.

Wyleia

Fledgling Freddie
All my gear has stamina+int on it cept for one piece.. Very picky, since about the late 20s ive always had my level*100 mana about.
Right now im err 2225hp unbuffed and err 4.4kish mana buffed..
http://www.thottbot.com/index.cgi?p=Vylette.EN_Final_Beta_8

Of course at endgame gonna have to make some choices etc, cuz want to get some resists.. but right now doing just fine with a lot of stamina+int ;) As of right now I base my items mainly on stamina.. I add the stamina+int together on an item and wear whatever has greatest total.. If the total is equal i wear whatever has the most stamina ;)

Dont trade in int for stamina, get pieces that give you both :) Ahh in one week gotta rebuild my armor up again from scratch, so will be on the lookout for the 'Eagle' items as they are +stam/int and are the BEST for mages not counting some quest and boss mob drops :)

Pestilence

Fledgling Freddie
Yes, insta Arcane explosion will help you alot.
and ofc sheep.
mages can be outright nasty in duel, if played right.
And no exp grp should be without a arcane explosion mage.

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
all my pieces have int+stam.... spent alot of cash on AH securing that ... ofcourse i've got no chance of affording a mount but who cares, beta ends in a few days anywayz hehe :)

some nice items ya got there

not had much luck securing a wand with stats yet...

btw how easy did you find it getting a dagger with decent stats.. i figure having 2 weapon slots with + stat would be much better than just the stave but had serious bother finding decent dagger to make up the stats of a staff.

Wyleia

Fledgling Freddie
The hypnotic dagger + my offhand give me decent stats. Not as much as Illusionary Rod (http://www.thottbot.com/?i=3228) would give me (I have that in the bank). But I just prefer dagger to staff.. faster hitting I guess.. and I was already trained up in it :) Used a +arcane dmg dagger early on.

The dagger I used is extremely easy to get. When you do scarlet monestary the Library boss drops that dagger or the illusionary rod. So its like a 50/50 chance of what you get.. and the library is the second easiest instance in the 4 instances that compose the Scarlet Monestary.. Monsters are like level 35-42 elites in there. So around level 38 you should live in there. The necklace and the hat im wearing also come from there, the Cathedral Boss drops those, but she has some other crappy items she drops so gotta do cathedral a few more times than library to secure those two items :) The necklace i wear is a well good necklace for into the mid 50s from what Im seeing on thottbot and the hat should last me to 50 as well :)

Heh, all the blues i wear are easy to get if you are willing to farm instances, except for maybe my ring as there are like 10 diff rings plus some other items that the endboss of gnomeland can drop. So less chance to get the EAgle one.

At endgame ill prolly go for the sword with +2% crit chance on it. After all 100 int gives 1% crit chance so using that sword is like getting an extra 200 int :) Cant beat that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom