Machine viewing problems on network

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I've got a Xp Home machine linked up to the network. I can view all the other machines on the network, but the other machines can not view me, so new machines to the network can not pick up on the printers installed on my machine. I've checked the domain names are right aswell as sharing the printer and my documents folders (which don't appear on the network) I've turned off the SP 2 firewall and still no luck, it runs on a linksys wireless network.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Do you have these two enabled?:

fps.jpg

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Yes I have, but I've managed to work around for the moment I know the Share address of the printers so instead of browsing for printers I can enter the address directly and it seems to be working for the moment, even though I still cannot view files on that machine at least I can print.

Athan

Resident Freddy
At least with Win98 there was something fundamentally crap about browsing a network. We had machines that would sometimes, but not always, appear in 'network neighbourhood'. Absolutely no configuration changes between it working and not working, and not even a reboot.

As with your case, if you knew the correct address to go directly to it would always work.

-Ath

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
How are all of the computers connected into your network?

Are they all on ethernet, all on wireless or a mix?

I'm asking this cos a friend has a similar problem not being able to see his other computers from his laptop when they were linked over ethernet and he was linked over wireless.

M

Mellow

Loyal Freddie
Are you getting the correct DNS addresses on the network and also if it's Home edition it cant connect to the domain.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Actually - if it's a domain you need a domain controller :p so I am assuming you're connecting to a workgroup.

You might need to set all of the computers on static ips. Simply give them the gateway 10.0.0.2 or 1 depending on router, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and then each computer an address of 10.0.0.x where x is the computer number (just make sure you give them different x numbers :p).

Then you can access them via \\10.0.0.x\share or if you want to be really clever create a LMHOSTS file in windows and pop the netbios names of the computers in it next to their static ips and that should get around your not finding name issue.

M

Mellow

Loyal Freddie
`mongoose said:
Simply give them the gateway 10.0.0.2 or 1 depending on router, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and then each computer an address of 10.0.0.x where x is the computer number (just make sure you give them different x numbers :p).

Or a subnet of 255.0.0.0 would be more appropriate :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom