MAC Address help

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH
Good morning
after what i thought was all virgin it appears that my dirty brummy housemate has been taught the ways of bit torrent without knowing the consequences it gives to the rest of the network, so i told him and he's refusing to stop his film downloads although ive given him free streaming websites perfect quality... still going this morning and no one can do anything on the net, so if i can get his MAC address somehow i can block him anyway i can do that? im in control of the router, belkin if that helps
thanks

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Good morning
after what i thought was all virgin it appears that my dirty brummy housemate has been taught the ways of bit torrent without knowing the consequences it gives to the rest of the network, so i told him and he's refusing to stop his film downloads although ive given him free streaming websites perfect quality... still going this morning and no one can do anything on the net, so if i can get his MAC address somehow i can block him anyway i can do that? im in control of the router, belkin if that helps
thanks

You can block his wireless access to the router in the router settings. Also hardware firewall could block torrent sites i would have thought. Someone more technical could tell you how to do this.

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH
yeh unfortunately he's not using wireless, got an ethernet port in his bedroom which he keeps locked 24/7 even when he takes a leak...

Rubric

Part of the furniture
You could use the routers firewall to block an pages that have the word torrent in them. You can do that on my sky router,

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH
yeah but how would i go about getting his mac address?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Set the firewall to block all ports then open the ones you want. Or find his IP Address and block that in the built in firewall. Or just block his mac address but that will remove all access.

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
yeah but how would i go about getting his mac address?

im not so good with belkin routers but here is my guess :)

Open the router config page, Go to Lan - >> dhcp client list and next to he's computer name you will see he's mac adress if im not wrong :)

When you got he's mac adress you just blocks it on the router .

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH
aha found it cheers:) you is blocked brummy

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Set the firewall to block all ports then open the ones you want. Or find his IP Address and block that in the built in firewall. Or just block his mac address but that will remove all access.

blocking ports doesnt help much if he just runs through a proxy :) then he will be abel to run torrents on port 80 and wont be the best idea to block that one :p

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH
this guy is a computer retard, so if theres a way to just block torrents id be grateful, cos when he wakes up he'll be in my room to ask me to fix his internet:p

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Remove port forwarding or just block it in firewall settings? Much easier, just breaks his bit torrent as opposed to completely owning his connection to the internet.

Alternatively instead of removing port forwarding, just forward it to a computer that doesnt use it, it'll basically ruin his download speeds which (If he's a complete retard) will cause him to start kicking off saying how shit it is, while you sit there and silently giggle to yourself at his incompetance.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Tell him he's computers broke becasue he downloaded too many torrents and the FBI have cut him off...

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
this guy is a computer retard, so if theres a way to just block torrents id be grateful, cos when he wakes up he'll be in my room to ask me to fix his internet:p

Think the best will be just to block all ports an open some specific ports you know you need..

He's maybe a computer retard but anyone can google :D

limiting he's bandwitch like some said also sounds like a good an easy way to deal with it :)

Cadelin

Resident Freddy

Check the software for your router. Depending on what you have there my be the possibility of limiting his bandwidth but this is generally only a feature on the more expensive routers not the free ones that come with a broadband package.

You might be able to google for bits of software that work too but these all seem to require a bit of technical knowledge which is beyond me:
Per User Bandwidth control - dslreports.com

G

unplug his ethernet connection from the back of the router.

mace his face

shit in his mouth

then plug his ethernet cable back in again

job done

crispy

Can't get enough of FH
Check the software for your router. Depending on what you have there my be the possibility of limiting his bandwidth but this is generally only a feature on the more expensive routers not the free ones that come with a broadband package.

You might be able to google for bits of software that work too but these all seem to require a bit of technical knowledge which is beyond me:
Per User Bandwidth control - dslreports.com

My experience is that it doesnt matter how fast he's downloading, its the number of connections his bit torrent client is trying to make. So if you want to do something block all major bt trackers on the router so the client wont ever know what peers to connect to.

Or share a usenetserver.com account with him ^_^

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Or share a usenetserver.com account with him ^_^

Doenst help much if he uses all the download bandwidth :)

If you got 2 mbit an you download with 2 mbit its gonna be slow, an with usenet accs you download pretty much with your max bandwidthat all time . that said i do agree with you that the internet will run better then with torrents since all the connections an the upload is a bandwidth killer :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom