mac address changing all the time

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Just bought a new lappy, every time it restarts the fucking mac address changes. Massively amnoying as my isp only allows 3 simultaneous connections so its set up to just allow 3 mac addresses so i dont want to have to change it every time. Anyone know how i can fix this?

Kryten

Old Cow.
even on a new laptop I'd be checking it for viruses - mac addresses don't just change - they are hardware addresses assigned to particular pieces of kit. In fact, turn the laptop over and it will almost certainly have the Ethernet mac address written on it, and the wireless card will certainly have it's MAC address written on that.
They can be spoofed rather easily, hence suggesting a software issue normally related to malicious software.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Kryten is spot on, MAC addresses are hardwired into network interfaces, if yours are changing dynamically then there is a possibility you have been infected and someone is rotating mac addresses as part of some botnet scam or other. If that is the case then they might have remote access to your laptop as well. You need to scan the fuck out of it with every reputable tool you can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom