M$ Word

L

LTF

Anybody aware of a way to switch between two text colours when typing, purely using the keyboard?

AM doing rather a large text document in word xp, switching between red and black, using the mouse to point and change text colour each time which is really pissing me off ://

There's another way...

...right?

ta

D

Deadmanwalking

Openoffice.org owns joo ....

BAh Pity its linux stylee

J

Jonty

Hi d0nk3h

You need to create a macro :) Try these dodgy instructions :p
  1. Start a blank document.
  2. Click 'Tools > Macro > Record New Macro'.
  3. In the new window, name the macro (e.g. 'RedText').
  4. Near the bottom of the window, choose whether you wish this macro to present in every blank document (Normal.dot) or only in your current document.
  5. Finally, click the large 'Toolbars' icon in the window.
  6. If you chose to save the macro in 'Normal.dot', simply click 'Close' in the new window. If you selected to save the macro in the document, choose the document name in the 'Save in' area at the bottom of the new window, and then click 'Close'.
  7. Now you'll see a little 'Stop / Pause' floating toolbar. Ignore this for now.
  8. Click 'Format > Font'.
  9. In the new window, half-way down on the left, select the desired red colour and then 'OK'.
  10. In the floating toolbar, press the stop button.
  11. Right-click on any toolbar (like the 'File Edit View...' one etc) and choose the 'Customise' option at the bottom.
  12. At the bottom of the new window, press the 'Keyboard' option.
  13. If you chose to save the macro in the document, as opposed to 'Normal.dot', make sure the document name is selected the 'Save changes in' area in the bottom right of the new window.
  14. Scroll down the 'Categories' list until you see 'Macros'. Left click the 'Macros' option once to highlight it.
  15. Your new macro ('RedText' or whatever you called it) should now appear in 'Macros' list. Make sure it is highlighted.
  16. Next click once in the 'Press new shortcut key' to place the cursor in the field, and then choose the desired key combination (e.g. Ctrl + Shift + R).
  17. Providing the combination isn't assigned to anything else, press the 'Assign' button on the right.
  18. Press the 'Close' button on both open windows and give it a whirl.
Forgive the dodgy instructions, but until three minutes ago I had no idea how to do this :D If it works, simply repeat the procedure for the black text. When you save the document the macros will be saved with it (N.B. some virus scanners may bring up warnings when opening documents with macros; although in this case this is obviously nothing to worry about).

Hope this helps

P

PR.

Jonty is the internet, he sacrificed his life to be implanted into a server he now has hive mind and has chosen GAME.NET hardware forums to be his interface with 'humans' :D

J

Jonty

Originally posted by PR.
Jonty is the internet, he sacrificed his life to be implanted into a server he now has hive mind and has chosen GAME.NET hardware forums to be his interface with 'humans' :D
LOL! Watch out for me in the Matrix Reloaded ;) hee hee. Flattery will get you everywhere with me :D

Kind Regards

Jonty

. . . Third topic today which has gone astray . . . :(

L

LTF

cheers jonty, worked a treat, thanks for taking the time to do those instructions :)

Whats the best way to chnge it back, do i need another macro to change back to black, or is it possible to do it all in one?

L

LTF

I've done two, ctrl+1 and ctrl+2, seems to be working fine, hope they aren't bound to sumfin else as default ://

J

Jonty

Originally posted by d0nk3h
I've done two, ctrl+1 and ctrl+2, seems to be working fine, hope they aren't bound to sumfin else as default ://
Glad it worked :) I personally would have done two macros too, as that seems to be the easiest way to do things. As for Ctrl + 1/2 being bound to something else, when you're actually choosing the key sequence in step 16, if those keys are bound to something else, it automatically tells you so you don't overwrite any previous shortcuts.

Kind Regards

J

Jonty

Originally posted by ~YuckFou~
I've just realised, Jonty is Borg!
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Oh, and if you need help, please feel free to post in the BarrysWorld forums. Resistance is futile :p

Kind Regards

Y

~YuckFou~

*Shoots*

shit he's adapted, modulate the phaser frequencies quickly, no quicker!

Arrrgghhh

Users who are viewing this thread