Lucky or good

make a choice, be lucky or good at something

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WiiWii

Loyal Freddie
If you have to chose, would you rather be lucky or be good at something?

I got a result today from one of the hardest exams I had, i failed it last time and this time i got the best grade. So I guess im lucky :D or maybe good how knows =)

what do people here think?

be lucky or be good?

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
I'd rather be good as the feeling of achivement is bigger that way

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
lucky.. coz if u lucky u can win the lottery.. not have to go to work.. and then decicate your spare time to being good at something

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
ilaya said:
lucky.. coz if u lucky u can win the lottery.. not have to go to work.. and then decicate your spare time to being good at something

You need more than luck to win the lottery jackpot, the odds are almost at the level where you could describe it as an act of god ;)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Lucky or Good ?

Good. There's no such thing as luck.

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:
Lucky or Good ?

Good. There's no such thing as luck.

There is no such thing as luck? Which rock do you live under? :p

Luck has a part in everything. If you say there is no such thing as luck. Everything is predetermined, if everything is predetermined you have no influence on anything which is BS. But thats just my logic :p

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
cHodAX said:
You need more than luck to win the lottery jackpot, the odds are almost at the level where you could describe it as an act of god ;)

oh comon, what skill is there to get 14 randomly generated numbers right?

its luck and nothing but luck that dictates if u win or not.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I don't believe in luck. I don't believe in predeterminism or karma either. What I do believe in probability theory. Ok, there isn't much difference between luck and probability, but I guess its how you perceive the world.

Example: You win the lottery.

Is that lucky ? Most would say yes. But another way of looking at it, is that you have a 1 in 14 million (or whatever it is) chance of winning based on 6 random numbers. You can't quantify luck but you can rationalise probability.
Some people would say winning the lottery is your destiny. Again, thats something I don't agree with personally, but if you wanna go round thinking everythings already planned out (by who ?) then thats upto you.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Ctuchik said:
oh comon, what skill is there to get 14 randomly generated numbers right?

its luck and nothing but luck that dictates if u win or not.

No you misunderstand me, I was just stating that there is luck and that there is bolt of lightning luck. Skill has nothing to do with the lottery.

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:
I don't believe in luck. I don't believe in predeterminism or karma either. What I do believe in probability theory. Ok, there isn't much difference between luck and probability, but I guess its how you perceive the world.

Example: You win the lottery.

Is that lucky ? Most would say yes. But another way of looking at it, is that you have a 1 in 14 million (or whatever it is) chance of winning based on 6 random numbers. You can't quantify luck but you can rationalise probability.
Some people would say winning the lottery is your destiny. Again, thats something I don't agree with personally, but if you wanna go round thinking everythings already planned out (by who ?) then thats upto you.

That doesn't make sense. Knowing the probability doesn't effect the fact that it's luck. you have a 1 in lets say 210 million chance of winning. Most people don't. Those who do are lucky. Doesn't mean there is no luck involved just because there is a probablity, however small, that they will win.

Another example. Playing footie, you shoot... gust of wind, takes the inside of the upright to score. You might have have had the same shot 300 times before where the wind didn't help. It has probably happened to millions of people before you. So you could argue that it statisticly had to go your way at some point. Now lets pretend it's the winning goal. Don't want to call it luck, because you might have taken the shot plenty of times before. Now lets say it's the winning goal of the world cup. You might be one of 2 people which that has happened to. Don't want to call the shot luck? Call it luck that it happened to you or that it happened at exactly at that time. Even though there will always be a minute chance of something happening. You might get struck by a big piece of frozen crap from an airplane the next time you stick your head outside. But if you are one of those very very few people who get smashed by icepoop, you are unlucky. Not just because you were at that spot, at that time. But because it was you, and not someone else.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Luck can be explained factually. The man fell out of the plane without a parachute and lived. Lucky ? Yeah, but he lived because he fell on a tree which cushioned his blow etc etc. Luck is a human layer added ontop of a series of explicable events, however unlikely.

Luck exists as a way for humans to expresses freak occurences without the necessity for the events to be decomposed into cause & effect and probability theory.

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:
Luck can be explained factually. The man fell out of the plane without a parachute and lived. Lucky ? Yeah, but he lived because he fell on a tree which cushioned his blow etc etc. Luck is a human layer added ontop of a series of explicable events, however unlikely.

Again you are going a step too far making it nonesense.

The man fell out of the plane without a parachute and lived. Lucky ? Yeah, but he lived because he fell on a tree which cushioned his blow etc etc.

Wasn't the man lucky that the tree was there in the first place? Isn't the man lucky that he for some reason survived hitting that tree at terminal velocity.

Luck can be put to use in perfectly explainable situations aswell.
What you are saying, is there is no such thing as miracles.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Blackjack said:
What you are saying, is there is no such thing as miracles.

a miracle is on the same bench as religion, there both in the same boat, you cant have one with the other ect.

be careful what you say, that sentence doesn't prove or disprove anything

though, imo... luck exists, the discovery penicillin(SP?) is one example... though i also believe an a sort of karmic balance, its not entirely relevant, but im whacking it in anyway;)

ps, karma, doesn't necessarily meen a destiny of any form

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Blackjack said:
There is no such thing as luck? Which rock do you live under? :p

i think its simpler to say things are pre-determined than saying luck exists.

though many probably dont buy my pro-predeterminism propaganda :)

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
i think its simpler to say things are pre-determined than saying luck exists.

though many probably dont buy my pro-predeterminism propaganda :)

Many wont, myself included, because it would require that it's predetermined whether on not you say "Yes" or "No" when faced with certain choices in your life.
So a game is already decided, not only because the result itself is directly predetermined. But because the players were predetermined to work hard. They could just sit at home and watch TV, but they chose to work hard to be ready. Predetermination is on one hand, plausible and acceptable, for me, because of the fact that the things that get predetermined involving you is based on the personality you have, and the outcome is based on that. But on the other hand completely unacceptable, because everything that happens, good or bad was meant to be. When i tackle, and the ball flies up and coincidently lands at his and not my feet. I want to believe that it was luck, that there was a chance to win the ball when i tackled. Not that it was predetermined for him to get it. Then i can only think that me tackling was completely useless.

tris-

Blackjack said:
I want to believe that it was luck, that there was a chance to win the ball when i tackled.

Then i can only think that me tackling was completely useless.

i dont see predeterminism like that. but surely if your relying on luck to win the tackle its nothing to do with your skill, its just random.

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
i dont see predeterminism like that. but surely if your relying on luck to win the tackle its nothing to do with your skill, its just random.

Every tackle, no matter how good you are has a chance of hitting the legs of the 2 involved several times and shooting out at random. I like to believe that those times are infact random and not meant to be.

tris-

Blackjack said:
I like to believe that those times are infact random and not meant to be.

i find that concept hard to grasp :)

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
I always believed luck was just an unusual phenomenan that had an unpredictable and unknown chance of occuring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom