luck (or lack of it)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Luck is a human idea.

I wonder if the antelope being chewed on by a leopard thinks its unlucky.

Karma is god damn real though :eek:

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I wrote a little bit about luck and this Dr Richard Wiseman who made a "scientific" study of luck, but it was about 3 years ago when I wrote that and I've since discovered that Dr Richard Wiseman might be a bit of a crackpot - if I didn't already realise this at the time. :)

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
to quote bugsy malone song lyrics....

"You don't have to sit around
Complaining 'bout the way your life has wound up
Think of all the time you waste
And time's a precious thing to let go by

Sure you've hit the bottom
But remember you'll be building from the ground up
Ev'ry day's another step
That takes you even closer to the sky, so give a try

You don't have to sit around
Depressed about the way that luck deceived you
Fortune sailed away, you missed that boat
And found that you'd been left behind

Fight and fight some more
Until you know the world is ready to receive you
Lady luck's a fickle bird
But a lady is allowed to change her mind

You don't have to sit around
Complaining 'bout the way your life has wound up
So be a man you know you can't be certain
That you'll lose until you try

I believe in luck amd I also believe in karma...and i think the best dexcription i've ever heard of this is the pagan rule of the power of 3. What you give out comes back to you, times 3. Not necessarily right away, but eventually, in your own life time. I've had some shit times, and some great times. I was lucky enough to have a fairly priviledged childhood, going places, meeting people and doing things that few other kids get to do becuase of the connections my mother and my step father had. However, to balance that out, I have lived through my mother divorcing my father when i was 2, and then living with my step father who turned out to be an abusive and aggressive alcoholic who put me in hospital and who we had to run away from when i was 17 in the middle of the night. I got sent to boarding school when i was 13 and was so miserable for 5 years, but didn;t have any other choice.
Does that balance out the priviledges I've also had?
Speaking to my other half, I've said more than once, that i would now have quite happily traded in all the things i got to do when i was small to have had my mother and father under one roof, a stable family life, and no boarding school....go figure.
I could go on.....I had numerous boyfriends who treated me like crap, took me for granted and took advantage of my generous nature and family, wo then dumoed me from a great height when the time was right for them. I've now met someone who has made me the happiest i can ever remember being...and i believe i have a future with him.

Life deals you random crap sometimes, but i firmly believe there is ALWAYS light at the end of the tunnel......

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Who ever said the scales of anyone's lives will balance? I never got a signed certificate when I was born that said "50% of your life will be good and the other 50% will be bad".

Every day is different for me, different things happen in different ways. I won on a spin the wheel game at the airport on the way to Ireland for St Patrick's Day this weekend.

Personally I take more stock of the saying "don't tempt fate" than I do luck. This is mostly because it always seemed to me when people say things like "i'm sure it'll be a nice day today" there brain has subconsciously told them "it's going piss it down later" but they're just trying to convince themselves otherwise.

leggy

Probably Scottish
It depends on your attitude mostly and how you classify a 'piece of luck'.

I never win anything, everything I own seems to break with monotonous regularity, I play gears of war far too much and still suck; but I would still class myself as being lucky... why?

1) I have a great job with great prospects (They have just given me a really nice car)
2) I'm not thick
3) I have a wonderful family and parents who would do anything for me
4) I have a wonderful girlfriend who would do anything for me
5) I'm reasonably pleasing to the eye (to some people) although I rarely put any stock in looks.

Saying that I have had my share of serious misfortune but I try (really hard because I'm one of the 'glass half empty' brigade) to look on the positive side and I can only see myself as lucky.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Will she let you put a teabag in her hairnet ?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
heh you knew that was coming Leggy ;)

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
legzor wrote:
I play gears of war far too much and still suck; but I would still class myself as being lucky... why?

Just got GOW, answer my flipping XBL message and have a game biatch :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I want to cut you Xtro!

leggy

Probably Scottish
legzor wrote:
I play gears of war far too much and still suck; but I would still class myself as being lucky... why?

Just got GOW, answer my flipping XBL message and have a game biatch :)

I answered it you son of a needle wielder!

I would like some co-op assistance fighting Raam. I seem to have reached the very last act with no bullets and crappy weapons :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I'd actually like to give coop a go with people who know what their doing, but my gold membership trial has expired and I'm not sure it's worth paying for a year :\

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Got the message thanks leggy :) I would love to do some co-op aye np, beat Raam at first attempt was a bit disappointed to say the least ;/

Sunday is good for me.

leggy

Probably Scottish
yeah he wasn't as hard I was expecting. I was hammered when I first met him though.

nath.. do it!!!! couldn't you pay monthly for a couple of months to try it out?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Well I tried it out for a few weeks when I had the free trial - when I played gears of war it was mostly populated with UTTER fuckwits, mostly.

If you're up for doing coop at some point I'll give it some thought!

leggy

Probably Scottish
Well I tried it out for a few weeks when I had the free trial - when I played gears of war it was mostly populated with UTTER fuckwits, mostly.

If you're up for doing coop at some point I'll give it some thought!

I have to agree. It takes a while before you build up a friend base by playing and meeting people. In that time you have to suffer countless games with racists, idiots and generally retarded fuckwits.

Defo up for CO-OP. The only co-op game I have played was on one occasion and it was halo 2 :/

Which sucks.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Have you got Ghost Recon (1)? I just got it and it's really rather spiffy :D - looks like it'd be a laugh coop too.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Have you got Ghost Recon (1)? I just got it and it's really rather spiffy :D - looks like it'd be a laugh coop too.

It's quite cheap now so I was considering it. I'll have a butchers online in a bit.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Ebay :/

It was sealed though and I didn't include the 2 quid postage :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom