Loyalty

O

old.Tyraette

Loyalty

‘So tell me, what’s so special about him?’
Ehlias rolled his eyes, and looked across into Jent’s face, noting for the umpteenth time the eager impetuousness of youth. By the Light, were we ever that young? Despite himself, a flicker of a smile crept onto his lips.
‘Jent, you’ll see soon enough. It’s not something you can see or describe or put your finger on it. Its just there. You either love him for it, or hate him.’
Seeing his face crease up in confusion, Ehlias gave an exasperated snort, and set his horse to a canter. Pausing for a moment, Jent looked on aimlessly, before shaking his head. ‘Well that doesn’t explain anything!’ he called out, before stirring his horse on to catch up.

Ehlias said nothing, and looked on at the surroundings, the route still familiar as ever. As he did every time he passed this way, he noted small changes in the scenery; evidence of time passing. The bluebells had flowered well this year, nestling as ever in amongst the trees and it seemed that the rabbits had also prospered. It was hard to see individual shapes amongst the trees and ferns that littered the road, but Ehlias knew from the occasional flickers of movement, and his own memory, that they were still there. It really has been too long, he thought.

Closing his mind to the inane chatter of his young companion, Ehlias saw in his minds eye the cottage once more. The memory of spending a week of last summer here was as fresh as the air around him. Talaxia had looked wonderful as ever, and the twins had just started to walk. Happy memories. Treeloe and Shaeffer had looked on at the two, a mixture of joy and mock fear at their antics. Smiling, Ehlias had glanced at the bundle in Treeloe’s arms, before nodding to Shaeffer. ‘You’ve got all that to look forward to my friend.’ He remembered laughing at the look of indignation on the proud father. ‘Not my princess,’ he’d grinned. ‘Unless she gets corrupted by your two!’

Reluctantly, his mind drifted back, and he realised that Jent had stopped small talking, and was waiting patiently for an answer. ‘I’m sorry?’ he confessed.
‘Why would a man with his history choose a life like this? He’s a warrior, one of the best. This isn’t his place.’
Gently reining his horse into a stop, Ehlias paused and looked around at the stillness of the forest, searching for the words.
‘The man you describe is a myth…the Prince of the Shadowed Night. That’s the man of action, the one in all the stories. People in Albion love him, people in Midgard fear him. He’s been built up as one of the figureheads in the war. By the Light, there are even stories to scare small children with. Eat your greens, or the Shadowed Night will pay you a visit. Heh. Albion gave him the role, and for years he’s played up to it. People see him, and they see what he wants them to see. He understands what Albion needs. That’s the man you know. But what the Prince stands for, isn’t what Shaeffer is anymore’

Ehlias paused for a moment, before continuing with a wry smile. ‘Don’t believe everything you hear about him. He’s no myth. He’s not invisible, or invincible, or have magic powers heh. The man bleeds just as well as you and I. Number of times I’ve had to rescue the damn fool are too numerous to mention. The stories are just that. Stories. When we were young, we dreamed of fame, glory, immortality. These are the gifts that Albion gave him. For years he threw himself into it. The others, Aethelstan, Jupitus to name but two…they were unconcerned with their reputations. It was just a side effect, they were concerned only with success on the battlefield. Their own exploits were never a factor. Shaeffer though recognised it. Lived it. Encouraged it. Soon though, the Prince became his life. He began to believe that he was this hero he’d let them make him out to be. Eventually, thankfully, Shaeffer the man changed in his ideals and beliefs. Albion was no longer the central part of his life, and he no longer wanted the gifts he once had. He settled down with Treeloe, and cast the past from his life. There’s an enemy that Shaeffer has fought for years, but never been able to defeat.’

Ehlias sighed, and set the horse off once more. ‘Who is it?’ Jent called out after him.
‘The Prince of the Shadowed Night. Until Shaeffer cut’s his loyalties to the Prince and Albion, they’ll always be someone like me and you to prevent him living the life he wishes. And he’ll never be free. Come on, we’re almost here.’

I

Indiana Jones

if you're bored, Shaeffie, come and play Daoc :p

T

Teh Krypt

Krypt falls romanticly inlove with Tyraette. The end!

O

old.Tyraette

Originally posted by Teh Krypt
Krypt falls romanticly inlove with Tyraette. The end!

its a mini adventure!

me in my mini-skirt, and you with your mini...<leaves that open for debate>

T

Teh Krypt

Originally posted by old.Tyraette
its a mini adventure!

me in my mini-skirt, and you with your mini...<leaves that open for debate>

haha :clap:

O

old.Tyraette

i appreciate that its not much by itself at the moment, but im about 3 or 4 sections ahead of myself at present and need pressure to keep at it. hopefully a few <i appreciate not many> will like it, and will give me the motivation to work at it.

J

Jupitus

Keep at it kid.... forget no-hopers like Kryptie :)

It's well-written and enticing... people will warm to it, I'm sure.

Come flame me Krypt, but not in this thread pls.

Jup.

K

Kaitlyn

I have been lucky enough to read this and other parts to this tale,you have real talent Shaeffer. Keep it up, I want to see the finished product one day... and never mind those that would that would think the Oddesey was an episode of the simpsons.

S

Sharma

Tyr, ill have to say this, start work on a novel, send it off to be published, you got the talent, you use it well, see where it takes you. :)

M

maxgirth

It`s very good schaeffer, you have a special talent there, don`t waste it ;)

O

old.SadonTheGrey

No time to read, college I'm afraid, but before I do, will it boost ur ego anymore? :p

O

old.Tyraette

Treeloe busied herself at the kitchen, taking advantage of the respite from the next room as the screams died. Finding her herbs, she paused for a moment, as the low humming of a familiar tune cut through her headache, and caused her to smile to herself. I don’t know how he does it, she thought. Shaeffer often teased her, saying that he had Annah wrapped around his little finger. Fool of a Saracen, one cry from her and he’s straight beside her. More like he was wrapped round Annah’s finger!

Hearing the humming grow louder, Treeloe turned, to see Shaeffer cradling her, the tears already a glistening memory. ‘So, this is the scourge of Midgard is it?’ she asked with a smile. Feigning hurt, Shaeffer leant into Annah. ‘That’s not very nice, is it?’ He said gently. ‘My princess is a little angel, not the scourge of anyone, is she?’
‘Daft sod,’ Treeloe muttered, before rising and gently embracing the two. ‘You’re as soppy as her bloody mother over her. Should’ve called you the Nanny of the Shadowed Night. Dread to think what they’d all think of you if they could see you now. You’re about as fearsome as a baby mouse!’

Before Shaeffer could retort, a barking started from somewhere outside. Sighing to himself, Shaeffer gently handed Annah over, before muttering under his breath. ‘That dog’ll be the death of me, I swear. Now princess, look after the wicked dragon whilst I go see what Jad’s up to.’ Turning to Treeloe, he kissed her forehead. ‘Back before you know it.’
‘I know’ she called out softly, before moving towards the window overlooking the garden. Jadow was still barking, but running happily towards the two horses approaching the clearing. Curious, not expecting any visitors, Treeloe peered, trying to identify the riders. One was unfamiliar, but there was no mistaking the short, stocky Briton who accompanied him. But what was Ehlias doing here? Surely too early to be on leave. Treeloe started to frown, as Shaeffer moved into view, and greeted his old friend.

In her arms, Annah started to cry.

~

**disclaimer** dont start with the 'jadows my bitch jokes' :p This isnt the only story I'm writing with Shaeff atm, and Jadow plays a more prominent part in that one <as he did ingame - good friend, and taught me most of my infil l33tness>

O

old.SadonTheGrey

Aww, I just read it at home <snivvles>

Its really good Tyr! /salute

S

Sharma

/claps

I'll be looking forward to reading more of these Tyr :D

O

old.Tyraette

Jent leant back, and drained the ale that had been offered. Nerves had overcome him somewhat, and he was content to let the others catch up on old times. Roaming his eyes around the room had allowed his mind to wander, mulling over the sense of…disappointment he felt. The room was sparse, designed for practicality rather than comfort. With the exception of the wooden seats and table, the only feature of any prominence was a hand-carved cabinet. Engraved onto the drawers and cabinet lid, a floral tree leaf pattern had been created, giving the wood a sense of depth. Several shelves containing smaller wood carvings were perched around the room, varying shades of brown and green, giving the room a subtle impression of being part of the forest itself.

Turning his attention to the others, Jent found himself once more studying the Prince of the Shadowed Night. The man was relaxed, listening intently as news of old comrades and friends reached him. Occasionally the conversation would drift towards the frontiers, and he would stop Ehlias in his track, preferring not to hear talk of war. Jent wasn’t sure what he had been expecting before he’d arrived, but the man in front of him was not the man the stories had spoken of. All throughout his training and duties at Sursbrooke, the men spoke of the leading figures in the war. Some favoured Lord Ironhand, the solid leader of the Templars. Skill and leadership were his strengths, and men fighting with him could trust they were in safe hands. Others preferred to think of the likes of Laird MacGregor, the amiable highlander containing both mirth and strategy in equal amounts.

The romantics and the ladies, however, had always favoured Shaeffer. The man was renowned for getting himself into the sorts of situations most men would never survive. It was even said that he had travelled deep into Midgard to rescue his love, Treeloe. His exploits had inspired men, for even though the actual feats themselves may not have been as important to the war as the actions of the Lairds and the Ironhand’s of the world, the manner and style always pleased the minstrels and saga-poets. Theirs was the triumph of the army, whereas the Prince of the Shadowed Night was the triumph of the individual.

And yet, the man before him was just that… a man. Were Jent to pass him in the streets of Camelot right now, he wouldn’t even pay him a second glance, dismissing him as just another woodsman. Shorter than he, the dark eyed Saracen looked too stocky to have the agility for the dual daggers he favoured. The simple comforts of a worn cloak and leather jerkin seemed to offend Jent’s nature; the man in front of him was believed to have been offered titles, lands, nobility…and yet here he was eschewing it all for a quiet paupers life in the middle of nowhere.

A change in tone focused Jent on the conversation. Pleasure was now over, and it seemed Shaeffer’s curiosity could hold no longer. ‘Why are you here. It’s a long way to come for a gossip, old friend.’

I

Indiana Jones

a) you got too much free time since you stopped playing :p
b) stop calling yourself the prince of the shadowed night :)

a true prince/king wouldn't abandon his people (perhaps maybe belgian king)
and you are scared of shadows and all that has to do with darkness...thats the reason why you never dared to enter the guild of shadows to see your trainer and that explains also your gimpiness

O

old.Tyraette

Originally posted by Indiana Jones
a) you got too much free time since you stopped playing :p
b) stop calling yourself the prince of the shadowed night :)

a true prince/king wouldn't abandon his people (perhaps maybe belgian king)
and you are scared of shadows and all that has to do with darkness...thats the reason why you never dared to enter the guild of shadows to see your trainer and that explains also your gimpiness

shit! stopping digging up the dirt on me :p

youve a point on the true prince thing. but im in rl exile. though tonight, and most nights from now, the river runs red. I've just got my suit back :D

I

Indiana Jones

Does that mean the "retired" sign in your sig will disappear soon?

I

Indiana Jones

good to have ya back
once again all middies on sauvage road will be filled with fear

C

Cyradix

Originally posted by Indiana Jones
once again all middies on sauvage road will be filled with fear
Guess again.... :lol:

R

Roo Stercogburn

Saw Herr Shaeffer a few times last night. Strangely, he seemed to be in the reclining position every time. Lazy inf ;)

O

old.Tyraette

Although the tone was still friendly, there was a barely perceptible change in the atmosphere, as if the walls themselves had sensed a change, and had leaned in a little closer. Ehlias stared for a moment, before shrugging. ‘I need an opinion Shaeffer. You’ve heard of the Falls, yes?’
‘Aye, beneath Horgaths Tower. Last I heard the Pichiliu had helped with the containment of the Nightmares. Until we’re freed up a little more in the North, I don’t see what more can be done for it. Durgi’s more of an immediate threat at the moment. What’s your point?’
Jent watched, as Shaeffers expression hardened with the words, focusing intently on Ehlias. Every moment that passed, the relaxed man from before was being lost, replaced with an intensity that Jent found more than a little unnerving.

Ehlias though, was unconcerned, or unknowing, and carried on unabashed. ‘I don’t know the full details yet, but we might have cause for concern down there. Expedition recently found something of interest on a corpse deep past the containment. Not sure what killed the poor bastard, but we thought you might be able to help us with it.’
Reaching down, he pulled a bundle from his pack, before sliding it towards Shaeffer. Eyeing it suspiciously, he unravelled, before staring at it. Moments passed, whilst he looked at the scrap of cloth in front of him, before sighing, and folding it back up away from sight. ‘Savage Conclave. No doubts. Snake chasing its tail in a permanent circle. No other has it. How the hell did they get down there?’

Leaning forward, Ehlias’ voice lowered. ‘Your question’s missing something. How is one thing, ‘what’ is something else that needs answering. You know as well as I do we can’t afford a war on any more fronts; we’re hard pushed as it is. Durgi’s armies are making headway on us all the time; the Falls has a small garrison at best. If we have to spread ourselves much thinner…’ Ehlias let the words hang in the air, not breaking eye contact with the man opposite him, letting the tension wrap around the air like a blanket.

Jent was the first one to look away, glancing across and seeing Treeloe framed in the doorway. She was staring at Shaeffer, a look of resignation on her face. The moment hung, as if time herself were mulling over the words. Unable to take the silence any more, Jent took a breath and rose, breaking the spell. ‘Treeloe, Ehlias speaks often of your cooking, I can hardly say I’ve been to see the two of you without seeing for myself.’ Moving swiftly, he took hold of Treeloes arm, and gently led her away into the kitchen. As he moved, he risked a glance back, and caught both a grateful look from the Prince, and a look of irritation from Ehlias.
Leading her through, Jent smiled, and began saying anything and everything he could think of, trying to provoke her into conversation; talking about her cooking, about Annah, about the house. She barely acknowledged him however, giving him short, one word answers, never volunteering anything herself. Running out of inspiration, Jent gradually ran out of steam, and soon only the now raised voices from the other room remained.

Suddenly Shaeffer shouted something in anger, and Treeloe recoiled as if struck. Looking at Jent as if for the first time, her eyes betrayed her, and a tear began streaking down her cheek. ‘You’ve come here to take a father from his daughter and a husband from his wife once more. When will Albion finally release him to his home? This is where he belongs, not out there’
Jent was about to reply, when Ehlias’ voice this time rang out, calling his name. Moving back through, Jent saw Ehlias standing, anger written over his features, whilst Shaeffer sat in his chair, impassively drinking his ale. Seeing Treeloe follow him from behind, Ehlias’ mask of anger slipped, and was replaced by a look of genuine regret. ‘I’m sorry, Treeloe,’ he said simply, before turning and making his way to his horse.
Giving a small smile of concern, Jent moved to follow him, before being called back by Shaeffer. ‘Jent – thank you. I’m sorry it was a wasted journey for you.’ Feeling his face flush, Jent smiled nervously. ‘Not a wasted journey sir. Not every day you get to meet the Prince of the Shadowed Night and his good lady wife.’
Shaeffer laughed, and the atmosphere that had been building was dispelled by the sound. ‘Pfft. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but you never met him. He died a long time ago. Some of us just have trouble letting go.’

Moving outside, Jent paused, wary of his superior’s mood, before stepping forward and saddling up his horse. Glancing across apprehensively, Jent was surprised to see that the angriness from before had now completely gone, replaced by a sadness that seemed in total contrast to the events of but a few moments ago. ‘Sir? Are you ok?’
Ehlias refused to meet Jent’s eyes, concentrating instead on his horse. ‘Wish I hadn’t had to do that. We’ve known each other almost all our adult lives.’
‘It’s not your fault we failed sir. His minds made up. I think you were right. There are two men. But only one lives now.’
Ehlias looked up sharply, before getting up on his horse. ‘No Jent. We did the opposite. We succeeded. And by the Light I wish I didn’t have to. Until Shaeffer cuts his loyalties to the Prince, they’ll always be people like us to prevent him the life he wishes. Albion has always been his mistress. Treeloe knows that as well as I do. Just wish she wasn’t mine as well.’

~

O

old.Tyraette

Treeloe sighed, and glanced through the window. Night had settled now, bringing a closure to the day. Annah had been put to bed, and she had sat there for a little while, watching as she slipped off into the dreamworld. Do we deserve you? Treeloe had thought, as sleep laid its hand on her daughter. What road lies ahead for you; the daughter of a woodsman, or the daughter of a man who will never know peace?

The remainder of the day had passed in tension since Ehlias and Jent had left. Shaeffer was quiet, and the easy humour that had accompanied him that morning had fled. Treeloe had left him to his thoughts, knowing the inner battle he fought against his conscience. He knew that his life was here. This is where he belonged, the life he had fought so long to enjoy. Yet he had never freed himself from the past. To Albion he would always be the Prince of the Shadowed Night. His duty to his family and himself would always be in conflict with his duty to his land.

She saw him then, sitting outside, watching the stars. The faint light from the home flowed and flickered over his face, but brought no comfort. Stepping out into the night, she moved softly towards him, before crouching down with her back to the tree also. Taking his hand in hers, she smiled, and let the night wash over her. ‘It always looks beautiful at night, doesn’t it.’
‘It looks beautiful every time I see it. It’s a home to be proud of. It’s a life to be proud of.’ Turning to face her, the familiar stubbornness of old was painted there. ‘And it’s my life to be proud of. No more Treeloe. They’ll have to let go. I’m not the man they know anymore. My life is with you.’

Treeloe looked across at the house…a warm glow from candles within gently inviting them home. Three years it had been since they’d moved here. Almost seemed like yesterday. To most people, she imagined they’d think that it wasn’t much. Rare visits, cold in winter, damp when it rained. But to her it was home, and a happier life here she couldn’t possibly imagine. Every morning, whilst she crossed from the world of dreams to the waking world, she’d lay content beside Shaeffer, believing that nothing could come between them. And for three years, nothing had.
‘I know you better than anyone, love. I know the battle you’ve fought today, and are fighting still. But you’ve not won. I don’t believe you ever will. Your body, mind and heart lie with me, I’ve never doubted that. But I know the war in your soul. Where does your duty to Albion end, and your duty to your family begin? You know as well as I do, that both have no end and no beginning. Your loyalty is to both.’

Unsheathing one of his daggers, Shaeffer twirled it around his hand, focusing on the blade. ‘The reason he came is because they know I’ve got more experience with Midgard culture than most. They want me to find them in Darkness Falls, find out what’s happening, and come back.’ The blade stopped mid-twirl, and Shaeffer glanced up. ‘I told him no. And I meant it.’ Plunging the blade into the earth, he turned away, and continued to stare moodily at the house.
‘Then why do you feel guilty? If you’ve made the right choice, then you should be happy. I know you, heart. This is a choice you and you alone have to make. Whatever you decide to do, you will have my full support on. I could tell you that I want you to stay, and I know you would, but it would gnaw away at you, and you’d feel guilt over whether you could’ve made a difference.’
Almost imperceptibly, Shaeffer’s shoulders slumped a little, and the stubborn determination from before wilted.
‘If I don’t go, someone else will. Maybe they’ll go through, succeed, and Albion will be safe. But what if they don’t. What if they send someone, and they die, because I refused. What if because of my refusal, we don’t learn of something that might change our world? That thought hangs on me. That’s a shadow my conscience has to bear. But I will bear it, else I will never be able to give you my life. And you are my life. No-one and nothing else.’

O

old.Tyraette

Treeloe sighed to herself, and watched as Jadow padded his way to join them, before laying at Shaeffer’s feet. Smiling to herself, she reached out and scratched just behind his ear, watching Jadow’s eyes close in pleasure. ‘You’re a lot like Jadow, you know. A few minutes ago, he was inside. Probably beside Annah’s cot as usual. Somehow though, he knew, and he came to be beside his master. Even right now he’s probably thinking, worrying whether Annah is safe. Yet she is, and deep down he knows that I expect. Regardless of his fears or worries though, he came here. There was no choice. Sometimes his place is beside her, others his place is by your side. Whilst he’s with us, he’s thinking about Annah. Whilst he’s with Annah, he’s thinking about us. It’s the same with you.’

Smiling with his eyes for the first time that evening, Shaeffer grinned. ‘No-one is my master. Though I admit I don’t mind a scratch behind the ears now and then.’
‘Fool of a Saracen,’ she muttered, drawing him into an embrace. ‘You’ve given me all that you can give, love. But Albion still and will hold a place in your heart. You can’t ignore her call, otherwise you lose a part of what makes you, you. And no-one can ever be allowed to take that from you. Not even me.’ Taking a deep breath to give her strength, she continued, trying to fight the sadness from bubbling out of her.
‘I want you to go. Go scratch the itch that burns you. We will be here when you return. And when you do, they’ll be more than a scratch behind the ears for you.’

Kissing her gently, Shaeffer smiled, and wiped the tear from her eye. ‘Albion may call, and she may take my body for a small time, but everything that makes me who I am will stay with you. She wants the Shadowed Night. And that’s all she’s going to have.’

Addl....you scene will be posted saturday or sunday night :) its all ready to go. not the bit next coming, but the one after that ;)

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by old.Tyraette
Addl....you scene will be posted saturday or sunday night :) its all ready to go. not the bit next coming, but the one after that ;)

actually that wasn´t why I bumped it, I hate reading unfinished stories :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom