Low level scout = Leper

C

CliffyG

Asked about 6-7 groups last night and various single players to group with me and not one positive reply. Only 2 group leaders responded to my request and when i mentioned my missus (36 wiz) was gonna help they still didn't want me :(. Same with solo'ers, thought they'd have liked the help but obviously not :(. Even with her buffs i can just about solo yellows but lose so much life i always have to sit down for a min or 2 after each fight. Didn't realise it was gonna be so hard to play.

J

Jupitus

Cliffy - you shouldn't be having so much trouble on yellows in my view unless you are trying to tank em... how are you specced?

Also, if you catch me in a good mood and online I'll craft you a bunch of the best arrows and a nice longbow as I did for my niece, Nhelli, and I am sure that will help you a bit too.

/Bow

Jup.

C

CliffyG

I'm not 100% sure but i think it's like this:

Stealth - 1
Thrust - 7
Shield - 5
Longbow - 8

Missing a lot on my bow though, am using a purple bow though cos i can't find a decent orange/red one. Also using purple shield, orange weap and all red crafted leather. Also end run outs very quicly doing styles.

Gonna auto train stealth to either 20 or 24, and should have this sort of spec at 24:

Stealth - 20 (not including auto train)
Thrust - 10
Shield - 13
Longbow - 21

EDIT

I'll try and get hold of you in game, i'll get my main to buy it off you :).

P

PadreMM

Don't think you can auto train stealth as a Scout.... not sure... think only Infils can auto train stealth.

The only thing you can auto as a Scout is the Longbow.

C

CliffyG

Doh, must have mis-read something. Oh well, i'm not gonna train in stealth till at least 20 then, just ignore the auto train stuff. Cant see how anyone can level auto-training bow though.

J

Jupitus

Reckon Padre is right - stealth won't autotrain (hehe mine is level 1 at 13 :p) but to try to auto longbow would be desperately hard, I would think.

What I have found is that unless I was well-twinked with cash the running costs for a scout to use the most effective equipment would be just too much. I crafted and transferred about 800 arrows and a couple of bows which I am using, plus plenty of gold - I go through a vast number of arrows and if I'm not near a vault I will buy them at about 76 silver for 20 - no way is the loot I am collecting going to cover that.

That said, with a good quality bow and the best arrows, and longbow specced max I can usually get a yellow con to within an inch of it's life before it reaches me (most likely due to the extra range of the more expensive arrows) and just finish it off in melee comfortably. This is just as well, as my thrust is level 1 too ;) It gets tight if I miss my opening crit shot (occasionally happens but not very often) but I can usually have them at half health before they reach me, and I am also high shield spec so I block quite well.

I'd suggest you check the condition of your bow etc and repair while you can - message me later and I will try to make time to craft some equipment for you as promised - if you have the cash for it on your main that would help since I am pretty skint now but the offer was there as a freebie and I'll happily honour that anyway if you haven't got the cash. Raw materials for the arrows I make comes to about 25 gold which makes 20*20 arrows for your information - the bows are relatively inexpensive to be honest :)

Speak to you soon.

Jup.

O

old.Jadow

Don't use purple weapons ever! And make sure you always use 98/99% crafted, and get them enchanted.

My scout (it was fun for a while) could easily solo oranges/reds simply with all orange equipment.

I swapped out a 100% bow I'd made on my main (it was a level 27 bow, I was about level 18) and i could barely take a blue. The drop in stats is -shocking-.

J.

C

CliffyG

Are those arrows the best ones? If so i'll take 2 lots just to tide me over. And a couple of different level long range /average speed bows would be nice too :). I'll be on with my main tonight, is it Juitus in game too? I have plenty of cash so will pay in full, thanks for offer though.

J

Jupitus

The arrows are one of 3 variants which have long range, more damage and improved accuracy - the 3 variants are different damage types ie slash/thrust and so on. I _can_ craft you a batch of each variant but to be honest I just use the same ones all the time and haven't done badly so far (can't be assed switching them around)... it is 'Jupitus' ingame - I'm usually pretty busy but if you message me when you are on I'll try to make some time :)

Cheers,

Jup.

D

Danya

if you need arrows I have loads spare from powerlevelling my fletching. My merc doesn't use them very fast. ;)

G

Gabrial

Cliff - I levelled my scout up with relative ease (24 now). Heres what I did:

1. Like Jadow says, NEVER use a purple weapon - it will actually be WORSE than a yellow one!
2. Like the man says, crafted and enchanted bows are best
3. Get some of the best arrows made for ya - cheaper than bought (works out at base cost of around 41 silver to the crafter I think).
4. Make sure you take a selection of each arrow type (keen, blunt and barbed). The difference is IMMENSE when you use them from something like a longbow. Test a couple out on the mob and see which is best - some will do + dmg and some with do - dmg. Make sure that once you know you use the + dmg ones!:)
5. Are you wearing leather armour or studded?
6. Personally I always used a longbow but I guess thats upto individual choice. I could always drop yellow and orange mobs before they reached me in 3-4 shots though if I was at max range with the right dmg type arrows.

If Jup isnt around, message Dances tonight and Ill log Shalimar on to craft you some stuff.

C

CliffyG

OK i may ask Jupitus for a selection of all 3 types of arrows. If i get 40 bundles i'll get 13 of each. I need all the help with dmg i can get.

Am wearing crafted leather at the mo but will use studded when i hit 10.

Yep i'm, gonna stick with the longbow.

J

Jupitus

Should be no problem at all - I usually get on around 8:30 uk time and I planned to head to Camelot to get aug dex tonight anyway. You'll need to have some vault space, of course, but actually making them won't take very long... chat to you ingame :)

Jup.

C

CliffyG

I usually log on at 20:30 - 21:00, i'll get Haedric to meet you at cam and get the missus to do a transfer for me.

Just out of interest, carrying 120 arrows at a time won't encumber me too much will it?

C

Col|

Have a little tip for you for finding your max shooting range.

When trying to work out the max range to shoot from, find a mob, target and aim an arrow at it, if its in range, step back a couple of paces, repeat until you're told its out of range, move forward a step and aim an arrow, repeat until told its in range. Now get your ground target, think default key is F5, move it with the mouse, or arrow keys, until the target is centred on your target, this will give you the maximum range to fire from, as you find each new target, hit F5 to see if you are at max range and then move acoding to what the ground target shows. ;)

C

CliffyG

I tried that i think but the target just stayed in the same place when i moved.

C

Col|

Originally posted by CliffyG
I tried that i think but the target just stayed in the same place when i moved.

All that should happen is, when you hit F5 each time after it will be at the range you left it, but directly in front of you, I used this with my Hunter. It does reset though when you zone etc.

O

old.Mitsu

I remember lvl 9 as the worst lvl ever on my scout.

It will get better in a few levels with studded and hopefully maxed bow. :)

I

Ilandor

I think that there is something seriously wrong with my Scout's stealth, I am level 42 and havent really trained much in stealth (9) yet but if you create a lvl 1 rogue then when you stealth you travel faster than my scout, its been like this for ages, must be some weird bug that only affects me :( I am not encumbered or anything, i've tried putting everything in my vault, still the same. Anyone heard of this before as I havent :( Its one of the reasons that RvR has been annoying for me, the other reason being Midgard :)

O

old.Mitsu

Because stealthed speed is determined by your stealth spec vs. your level.

So while a lvl 1 has maxed stealth you have much lower. :) And therefor lower runspeed.

I

Ilandor

Oh good, thought it was something weird affecting me only :)

C

CliffyG

Got 30 stacks of 40 arrows last night and 3 bows - thanks again Jupitis :). After i logged my main off last night i went down to the boulders past PKB and hit a few yellows. When i got the crit shot off i knocked nearly half life off :p yay (with crush dmg arrows). Will experiment more over the next few days but am looking a lot more forward to it than before.

O

old.Cyric

Tis a fun class to play :) aaaah, I wouldn't swap those long hours of soloing/duoing dunters for anything eh Mitsu? :)

p.s. Read your PMs :)

G

Gabrial

Its all about choosing the right arrow for the right job :)

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by CliffyG
Got 30 stacks of 40 arrows last night and 3 bows - thanks again Jupitis :). After i logged my main off last night i went down to the boulders past PKB and hit a few yellows. When i got the crit shot off i knocked nearly half life off :p yay (with crush dmg arrows). Will experiment more over the next few days but am looking a lot more forward to it than before.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Glad there has been such an improvement :)

I actually crafted a 97% bow and a 99% one and handed them over, and then took about 10 attempts making a 99% wuality one for myself!!

Works nicely though :)

/Bow

Jup.

O

old.Immortal

Get yourself to 500+ fletching/woodworking/metalworking and make some ownage arrows. They do help. *Alot*.

Oh.. and level 9 + groups != works out. Do killtasks, dude. They are the way to go. When you're 20 you should be alot better off soloing, and getting groups in Keltoi at that level ain't a problem, usually, either.. even for rogues.

T

Tasans

Tanks are so rare i usually have to rely on infils to do the tanking.
So a scout would be pretty acceptable in over 15 groups.
Just ask for groups in plains , keltoi and such.

(The following has been added so as not to get abuse by a specific inf)

Infils can be great tanks!

:m00:

Users who are viewing this thread