Lottery odds

Does buying twice as many lottery tickets double your chance of winning?

• Total voters

georgie

FH is my second home
On another forum I frequent there's an interesting discussion going on about the odds of winning the lottery jackpot. Some one postulated that by buying a second ticket for the lottery you are doubling your chances of winning the jackpot.

Now I would have thought that was fairly obvious, however there are a hell of a lot of people who disagree. Are we more learned over here?

megadave

I am a FH squatter
No seems like the obvious answer.

assuming the chances to win are 1 in 13,983,816 (think thats it for the uk) surely buying two just means 2 in 13,983,816?

actually im confused now, since that is twice as likely

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Statistically yes.
1 in 14million ticket + 1 in 14million ticket = 2 in 14million = 1 in 7million.
You're halving the odds, doubling your chance.

This is why it is *possible* to bait the system if the rollover jackpot makes it worth it. If you print out all 14million combinations and *somehow* got them pushed through machines, you are guaranteed a win, or at least a share in the win.

ileks

Part of the furniture
I would have thought so :p Assuming you change at least one of the numbers you select obviously.

Why would people not think this is the case? I ask because doing a small amount of probability has taught me my instinct is usually wrong :) Like if you have 23 people (say on a football pitch) then there is around a 50% chance that two people share a birthday. This confused the hell out of me until I saw an explanation.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Id say no, im no expert in maths but if it was that simple then everyone would be buying 2 tickets (which of course would then cancel out your extra ticket thus still the same odds)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yes, when one vs two tickets are at play. After that it becomes a bit tricky.

Take 10 tickets, one winning, for example you buy 1.

You have a 10% of finding the one winning ticket.

You buy two, you double chances to 20%.

But if you buy three, your odds go up by 50%(of previous 20%).

So for each amount of tickets, you need to double your ticket amount to double your chances.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Since you said "a second ticket", you mean to say that you only had one in the first place, so yes, two tickets = twice as likely to win (unless you're a fucking tool who picked the same numbers twice).

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I was thinking about this earlier this morning.
If you're in a syndicate, you get a share of the win.
What if you bought a line for yourself that is the same as one in the syndicate?
Now that line comes up.
The win is supposed to be split evenly between the winners.
Syndicate gets 50%. YOU get 50%.
Strictly speaking, you get your half of the win + your share in the syndicate's win.
You wouldn't be popular with the rest of the syndicate. :)

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
You don't have to tell them. They already know you've come into some money so you wouldn't have to explain your new purchasing habits :)

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
And on that point, who in their right mind would go public with the win? I would try to make sure as few people as possible hear about it.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
bit obvious if you're the flash your money type: 1 day your driving your scruffy 10 year old car, worrying about where you're gonna make the next buck; next day you're driving around in a £400,000 Lambourghini

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Of course you're doubling your chances but 1 in 7mil still isn't good odds. It's not much better than the odds of being hit by lightning twice.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Of course you're doubling your chances but 1 in 7mil still isn't good odds. It's not much better than the odds of being hit by lightning twice.

Then again, most every week someone wins. It's an old sayibng "it could be you", but it's true. Anyone of us, any week, could get that one break.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Then again, most every week someone wins. It's an old sayibng "it could be you", but it's true. Anyone of us, any week, could get that one break.

Indeed, but then again this week it might be no one and the week after as well.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Indeed, but then again this week it might be no one and the week after as well.

True, true. It could go on for a year, even if not plausible, that no one wins.

I think of lottery as the name suggest; i throw less then a euro every week into it to say "Yes, i too would like to have a million."

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I recently read a story in the paper that a Texas woman won over a million ... on 4 different occasions!

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Buying more than one ticket increases your chances. And in the case from one to two tickets, it doubles your chances.

Influenza

Part of the furniture
I recently read a story in the paper that a Texas woman won over a million ... on 4 different occasions!

Yeh i read that the other day , like 4 million 6 million twice and 8 million i think.

Its different in america though , if you win they offer you a one-off payment that is less than you won or you can get x amount every year and you get the full prize over like 10-20 years.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I am not the best with Maths, but saying this seems wrong;
assuming the chances to win are 1 in 13,983,816 (think thats it for the uk) surely buying two just means 2 in 13,983,816? actually im confused now, since that is twice as likely

This is what I think;
1 ticket = (ease of explanation) a 1 in 14,000,000 chance of winning.
2 tickets = a 1 in 13,999,999 chance of winning

So for each additional ticket you purchase, the total number is reduced by 1.

e.g. 10 tickets = 1 in 13,999,990 chance to win.

With that in mind, you don't fall into the 2 in 14,000,000 chances aka "oh it's doubled my odds".

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
That's not how it works though Bahu.

You see it better when you scale it down(10 tickets, 100 tickets etc).

Even with 1 million tickets, you've got a 0.0001 chance to win, with 2 tickets you got 0.0002 chance.

Doubled chances, but with third ticket it's a minimal increase.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
But that will only be if the number of ticket sales stays the same. If everyone bought 2 tickets to double their odds then double the amount of tickets have been sold from the original figure

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
But that will only be if the number of ticket sales stays the same. If everyone bought 2 tickets to double their odds then double the amount of tickets have been sold from the original figure

Yes, but 1 ticket vs 2 tickets difference stays the same no matter what.

2 tickets vs 1 ticket, at start, is double chances.

Even if there's only 3 tickets, two tickets have double chances vs the 1 ticket.

the chances in lottery are still very very VERY small, but still double. Like adding 2 grains of sand to beach instead of 1.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Or what if no-one gets 2 tickets but you

1000 tickets are sold so you get a second ticket that means 1001 tickets are sold. So doesnt that mean its not a true double chance?

ST^

Can't get enough of FH

The chance of winning isn't based on how many tickets are bought overall. If you bought the only ticket in the world, you still have the same chance of winning as if 5 billion tickets were sold.

Vae

Resident Freddy
Or what if no-one gets 2 tickets but you

1000 tickets are sold so you get a second ticket that means 1001 tickets are sold. So doesnt that mean its not a true double chance?

If it were a raffle then that would be the case but it's not. It's a lottery where the odds of choosing the right numbers are about 14m to 1 regardless of how many tickets are sold. The only thing the tickets affect is the prize amount.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
The chance of winning isn't based on how many tickets are bought overall. If you bought the only ticket in the world, you still have the same chance of winning as if 5 billion tickets were sold.

That - but there's then a higher likelyhood that the jackpot would be shared. That's a different arguement though.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
A while back some guy on tv calculated that the chance of being hit by lightning while on your way to the store to buy your ticket is 3x the chance of actually winning... :D

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
If you said no please do the world a favour and go and walk in front of a speeding train or alternatively head to the local primary school and take a maths lesson from a few 4 year olds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom