Lost in Translation

MrBenn

Fledgling Freddie
Went to see this last night, a great film, but if your expecting a laugh a minute comedy forget it, you will laugh out loud at the crazy Japenese antics, especially the "wacky" TV chat show host, it's especially funny if you've ever been to Japan, those people in hotels who Bow to you every 2 feet really do exist. The ending is sweet rather than funny too, oh and the female lead (name escpaes me) er WOW, take the missus and pretend to like the whole film whilst staring at the blonde woman ;-)

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Scarlet Johannson (or summink). I wanna see this looks like a good film. The bit from the trailer ("lip? Your stockings?! wha?) is top. :D

MrBenn

Fledgling Freddie
Actually that bit is very funny, I won;t spoil it for you but the whole cinema was laughing at that one. Again if you've been to Japan on business you might recognise this scene!!

mank!

Part of the furniture
I've heard some excellent reviews of it, I think I'll be going to see it for definite!

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
I went to see it last night, Bill Murray's best performance for years. Plus Scarlet Johannson's breasts are still as perky as they were in Ghost World.

ReActor

Fledgling Freddie
Saw this film the other night... I think the word 'lovely' is a good way to sum it up. Last romantic comedy I saw was Love Actually, and this is basically the opposite end of the scale. Subdued and slightly unpredictable.

Also the depiction of Japan was good because it wasn't just "oh, those crazy Japanese!". There were moments like that, but they were cancelled out by the emphasis on the country's beauty (natural and man-made). I suppose it could be a bit of a boring film to watch if you didn't care about that, because a lot of it is the main characters being dwarfed by the exocticness (is that a word?) of Japan.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Scarlet Johannson is genuinely hypnotic to watch.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
ReActor said:
Edit: Oh yeah, and Scarlet Johannson is genuinely hypnotic to watch.
Nice breasts then? ;) :p

(d'oh if that is what you mean't :()

Vae

Resident Freddy
Very well made and enjoyable. Nice understated ending although it does leave you feeling as though it hasn't really ended. Quite humorous in parts but not enough to make in a comedy overall.

I've heard some comments that some scenes are long but it didn't drag to me - far from it.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Aye never dragged for me either, top film. I'd say the overall feeling is winsome (I've prolly not spelt that right).

From what I saw in the cinema I was in, it seems like this is a very good 'date' movie. Lot's of couples snogging when the lights went up, which would have been nice if they weren't blocking me in. :eek:

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I'm gunna have to say so-so. The whole thing seemed a bit pointless really, wasn't much of a story or narrative. I did, howoever, enjoy the warmth between the characters but that's just because I'm a softy.

Of course, I'm being quite hard on the film. Comparing it to all the other tripe that has been released of late it's fantastic.

ReActor

Fledgling Freddie
Doh_boy said:
Nice breasts then? ;) :p

(d'oh if that is what you mean't :()

Hehe... well, yeah they're nice, but I meant generally watchable... there's something about her which is captivating. Can't really say what it is so I used the word 'hypnotic'. Right. I'm outta here before I have more problems with vocab :).

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I found her a bit annoying, got a bit of a "oo look at me, aren't I pretty and depressed"

Or maybe that's a bit harsh.

edit: Totally changed my mind. Watched it again tonight, it's fanfuckingtastic. All the stuff I said about it before still true, it doesn't really have much of a story and it doesn't go anywhere but it's gorgeous and touching and just brill.

leggy

Probably Scottish
It was indeed quite awsome. I liked the ending and I don't neccesarily agree about the relationship being purely platonic.
The way you were left wondering what bob said at the end is a stroke of genius.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
leggy said:
It was indeed quite awsome. I liked the ending and I don't neccesarily agree about the relationship being purely platonic.
Aye, throughout the film I was hoping they wouldn't. When she got jealous of him after he nobbed the singer bird I was sure they were gonna get together. The ending was a nice finishing flourish.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I wasnt saying that I wanted them to get together. It would have destroyed the whole point of the film if they had. I meant that there was more than meets the eye. It was a "beautiful girls" kind of relationship (the one with natalie portman who was very young at the time)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Tbh, I think the reason Charlotte got so jealous was not because he just screwed some other bird, but because he shared something very close with someone else. It's not like she was hoping to shag him but it was a sort of betrayal of intimacy or something. I don't really know what I'm saying, hopefully someone will. And yeah I thought the whispering thing was very good, I assumed he just said something to comfort her, very father like. Judging by her response anyway.

leggy

Probably Scottish
nath said:
Tbh, I think the reason Charlotte got so jealous was not because he just screwed some other bird, but because he shared something very close with someone else. It's not like she was hoping to shag him but it was a sort of betrayal of intimacy or something. I don't really know what I'm saying, hopefully someone will. And yeah I thought the whispering thing was very good, I assumed he just said something to comfort her, very father like. Judging by her response anyway.

I totally agree. It was definitely more a "betrayal of intemacy" than a love fuelled jealousy. Not sure about the whisper though, as the mouth to mouth kiss was definitely more than 'friends'

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I disasgree, I think it was a display of real strong friendship, I did wonder if there was more of a sexual thing going on there but the trailing kiss on the cheek suggested to me that actually it was all real warm friendship. Tbh the hug really did it for me though, the way she had an almost blank look on her face at first before closing her eyes and burying her face in to his shoulder.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I don't think you needed a spoiler tag for that Lazz0rington

leggy

Probably Scottish
nath said:
I disasgree, I think it was a display of real strong friendship, I did wonder if there was more of a sexual thing going on there but the trailing kiss on the cheek suggested to me that actually it was all real warm friendship. Tbh the hug really did it for me though, the way she had an almost blank look on her face at first before closing her eyes and burying her face in to his shoulder.

I can see where you're coming from. Especially when looking back at the elevator moment near the end. Charlotte never gave him a second glance as the doors closed. Not the behaviour of a sexually attracted women. I think

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Yes you, you massive thread ruiner you:eek:

To redeem myself - I loved the film, I love Bill Murray, BUT I laughed about stuff the day after rather than in the film. Its a slow burner.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sharpens the Evul Mod Stick of Doom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom