Lost City of Chernobyl

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
its some very interesting photography, i would love to be able to spend the day there looking around.

it also reminds me that i should be playing stalker and that its bloody late.

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik said:
ok so thats 9,000 out of 6.6 MILLION people... thats like what, close to non existant % wise?

O, right, only 9,000 deaths. Whatever was I thinking. :/

Nate

FH is my second home
interesting to see in to the barren city, the gas masks in the school was quite disturbing imo..makes you wonder if any made it out alive.

All the trees growing throughout the city aswell, would they grow there if radiation was around? serious question..does anyone know? ;o

Sparx said:
very interesting. I'm a huge fan of this sort of photography of abandoned old buildings etc. Would love to go there and take some good photos myself

Actually you can go sightseeing there, and it is not very expensive. Just fyi.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Congax said:
O, right, only 9,000 deaths. Whatever was I thinking. :/

It's not even 9000 deaths, its 57 deaths in 20 years out of an affected 6.6 million people. That's 0.00086%, and most of those happened within 3 months of the incident.

Also, as a couple of people have said the Horizon programme (linky) the Chernobyl/Pripyat area has become a wildlife sanctuary, and nearly all of the animals had un-mutated DNA. It was only one species of mouse they found that had changed DNA, so no Godzillas out there, sorry.

The photos are quite haunting, simply because the town was abandoned so quickly, and it is a reminder of a different era.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Was asking my dad what happened on that day, with the coverage of on the news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom