Lost City of Chernobyl

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
What's so disturbing in pictures that can be taken at a local garbage dump? :eek7:

Context?

Honestly i've seen better photographs taken by my dead grandfather who never owned a camera.

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
What's so disturbing in pictures that can be taken at a local garbage dump? :eek7:

Knowing that it's a city that has literaly been evacuated and ruined due to a nuclear meltdown. Knowing that people got killed, mutilated and that the children, grandchildren ... are still living with the consequences of the then occured tragedy might make it rather impressive.

It sure did impress me when I saw them ... half a year ago. :p

Edit: fuck me, it's nuclear? Always thought it was nuclair, silly me. :D

Urgluf

Part of the furniture
Hmm, maybe you don't care or just don't know what happened in Chernobyl?
Chernobyl (Chornobyl, Ukrainian: Чорнобиль, Russian: Чернобыль) is an abandoned city in northern Ukraine, in the Kiev Oblast (province) near the border with Belarus (51°16′N 30°13′E).

The city was abandoned in 1986 due to the Chernobyl disaster at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, which is located 14.5 kilometers (9 miles) north-northwest.
more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

anyway.. This just shows the danger of nuclear energy? what enormous effects there are even after 20 years? Don't you think about such things?

Dantares

Fledgling Freddie
Urgluf said:
anyway.. This just shows the danger of nuclear energy? what enormous effects there are even after 20 years? Don't you think about such things?

If I recall correctly not much damage has occured due to the disaster at Chernobyl. I think I recall a T.V. programme (Panorama I think it was on the B.B.C.) stating that there has been very little residual affect on the surrounding area and wildlife and that from those people that were rushed in to clean up the mess very few have died (confirmed that is) from illnesses related to radiation poisoning. Nothing at all in comparison to Hiroshima and Nagasaki or compared to the estimated figures that would suffer from it.

I could be wrong of course.

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
Dantares said:
If I recall correctly not much damage has occured due to the disaster at Chernobyl. I think I recall a T.V. programme (Panorama I think it was on the B.B.C.) stating that there has been very little residual affect on the surrounding area and wildlife and that from those people that were rushed in to clean up the mess very few have died (confirmed that is) from illnesses related to radiation poisoning. Nothing at all in comparison to Hiroshima and Nagasaki or compared to the estimated figures that would suffer from it.

I could be wrong of course.

"The 2005 report prepared by the Chernobyl Forum, led by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and World Health Organization (WHO), attributed 56 direct deaths (47 accident workers, and nine children with thyroid cancer), and estimated that as many as 9,000 people among the approximately 6.6 million most highly exposed, may die from some form of cancer (one of the induced diseases).[3] Nearly 20 years after the disaster, according to the Chernobyl Forum, no evidence of increases in the solid cancers and, possibly more significantly, none of the widely expected increases in leukemia have been found in the population.[2]"

I don't know what your standards for 'alot of deaths' are, but this doesn't seem like an average Joe daily death balance. This is ofcourse, not mentioning the fauna and flora threat, the work availability ...

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
I think I remember that Panorama thing. If I remember correctly, the outcome was that only those who were working in the plant at the time of the meltdown received a high enough dose of radition to seriously affect their health. And I think the vast majority of those people are dead already.

The second outcomes, as Congax says, were that the vast majority of those who received a lesser dose have went on to lead a normal life - health wise that is. I think the actual ground is still very contaminated, so much that they are still wary about trying to rebuild the city. Those pics really made it look like a ghost town :(

leviathane

Part of the furniture
Urgluf said:
it's only dangerous cos they were a bunch of idiots and didn't rly know what to do when the core went into meltdown, good training/ forward palnning there. Situations liek this can be avoided by the correct training and protocals, however imo i think it was what was needed to show the world what happens if you don't treat it with care.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Urgluf said:
I'm more scared of being shot on the tube for being in the wrong place at the wrong time because i fit one stereotype or another in the eyes of the law than nuclear melt downs tbh
Nuclear is played out to be "unsafe" when in fact it is alot safer than living near a traditional power plant that doesnt have such strict safety standards

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Urgluf said:
Hmm, maybe you don't care or just don't know what happened in Chernobyl?

Well, chernobyl was and is the past. I don't really mind my day about it. Like i've said before, i don't even care about wars in other countries. Yeah call me a cold b*tch, but that's how i live. Sure, disaster, bad thing, but the pictures in itself arn't that moving.

I personally like nuclear power, sure beats burning up tons of coal and spreading that up in the air. Not to mention that 75% of pollution comes from heating houses. But that's neither here or there, i don't judge people for getting misty eyed over events and reminders like this, i expect but don't really want to be judged by my "moral" values.

By the by, noone did or mabe won't, but please don't bring the old classic "what if your mom was sitting on the reactor when it went tits up" argument 'cause we all know that's just a silly thing.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
It was 20 years ago, people learn and technology moves forward. Nuclear is the only way to go in this day and age, and this 20 year old drama is still holding us back!

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
very interesting. I'm a huge fan of this sort of photography of abandoned old buildings etc. Would love to go there and take some good photos myself

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Urgluf said:

not really, no.

how many times have a nucelar reactor had a meltdown? once for all i know. (could be wrong there)

and to be honest, how many more have been killed from aids, war, car accidents, plane crashes etc etc etc then from that disaster?

yes it was a horrible accident, yes it is a horrible way to die from. but not more so then from any war or other natural disaster ppl face daily.

what is it with ppl that gets so upset with RARE events like theese but totally ignore the shit happening DAILY all over the world....

u think that town is the only town thats been forced to be abandoned for one reason or another?

/edit: i mean, just go outside and look around you....

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik said:
not really, no.

how many times have a nucelar reactor had a meltdown? once for all i know. (could be wrong there)

Chernobyl and 3 Mile Island, They were the BIG ones anyway. (although no one died at 3 mile island)

Your point still stands tho.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Congax said:
"The 2005 report prepared by the Chernobyl Forum, led by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and World Health Organization (WHO), attributed 56 direct deaths (47 accident workers, and nine children with thyroid cancer), and estimated that as many as 9,000 people among the approximately 6.6 million most highly exposed, may die from some form of cancer (one of the induced diseases).[3] Nearly 20 years after the disaster, according to the Chernobyl Forum, no evidence of increases in the solid cancers and, possibly more significantly, none of the widely expected increases in leukemia have been found in the population.[2]"

I don't know what your standards for 'alot of deaths' are, but this doesn't seem like an average Joe daily death balance. This is ofcourse, not mentioning the fauna and flora threat, the work availability ...

ok so thats 9,000 out of 6.6 MILLION people... thats like what, close to non existant % wise? sure the area is uninhabitable but still... and looking at those pictures i cant say nature suffers that badly from it. i'd say it dosent seem to care a whole lot at all... hell even the wooden floor boards grow new trees apparently, coz noone is walking on em anymore :)

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie
The program i watched (cant remember if it was panorama or horizons... one of the two) also mentioned that plant/animal life that remained in the area after the accident not only didnt die, but also became noticably more resistant to radiation, and thus cancer.

Another interesting fact it came up with was that the radiation dosage youll receive hanging around Chernobyl is about 1/100th of the strength you were exposed to the last time you had your teeth x-rayed.

From what i gather the city could be re-built right now and the occupants would suffer no ill effects (in fact they'd probably be healthier) but you can understand the reasons that they dont rebuild it. Firstly: no-one would want to live there, secondly, if people DID go to live there, the first reported case of someone dieing of cancer within 30 miles of the city and there would be a mass exodus.

Marc

FH is my second home
A work colleague of mine is involved with a charity that brings kids affected by the chernobyl disaster over to the uk for a 4 week holiday every summer. Try telling these kids who have family dying to cancer and lukemia or have a life expectancy themselves of about 25 years that nuclear power isnt dangerous.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Marc said:
A work colleague of mine is involved with a charity that brings kids affected by the chernobyl disaster over to the uk for a 4 week holiday every summer. Try telling these kids who have family dying to cancer and lukemia or have a life expectancy themselves of about 25 years that nuclear power isnt dangerous.
try telling kids who have lost limbs/permanently crippled in the name of "Democracy" is a better way
Or maybe the families of people who lost people in plane crashes that airliners arent the safest mode of transport

Ask a biased target group and you get a biased result...

NikonL

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:

No-one said it wasnt dangerous. They were simply putting into context HOW dangerous. It's not enough to just say "omg this thing has killed some people we must never use it again". You still use the roads every day despite the fact that they kill more people per year than nuclear power ever has.

And i know, i know, you just want to scream "ITS NOT TEH SAME:!?!?" but you need to stop and think for a moment, why isnt it the same?

Marc

FH is my second home
Chronictank said:
try telling kids who have lost limbs/permanently crippled in the name of "Democracy" is a better way
Or maybe the families of people who lost people in plane crashes that airliners arent the safest mode of transport

Ask a biased target group and you get a biased result...

yes but "we all hate George Bush" wasnt the topic of conversation

Kathal

Fledgling Freddie
NikonL said:
They were simply putting into context HOW dangerous. It's not enough to just say "omg this thing has killed some people we must never use it again".
Actually ppl have been killed when they brushed their teeth. They fell and got "pierced" by their toothbrush. I haven’t brushed my teeth for 2 years now. It’s just too dangerous.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Am i the only one seeing a vast amount of art and other things related to an era now lost ready to be sold for stupid amounts of money?

Adult Return ticket to Chernobyl please... Extra luggage space required :D

Thadius

Part of the furniture
I find Soviet Arctitecture brilliant

Love the soviet emblem, long live Communism!

:(

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Down with
gamo_ch2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom