News Looks like its not just Virgin

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Who cares. There's always a way round it :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Aye, and people who want CDs will always buy them.

Those who pirate, pirate usually because they wouldn't normally buy the stuff or are unable(like with TV shows, which LUCKILY are going free-net) to get them otherwise.

*Just let eople "pirate" and sell the stuff, your income won't increase by billions of dollahs by stopping piratism. Actually loosing more money on the "pirate war".

Draylor

Part of the furniture
The deal, negotiated by the government
Thats the scary bit.

Other than that its a non-story, they are sending letters with no intention of taking any action after that.

Nocare.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
A cynic would say that the ISPs have done their sums and all the offnet bandwidth being used up by illegal filesharers is starting to hurt them (or rather, legitimate stuff like iPlayer is removing their spare capacity), so at the current time, its in their interest to discourage file sharers, but they don't want to discourage so much that they actually lose customers. Note the second part of the news is a commitment to launch their own legit music services; once again saves them bandwidth.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
How come UK goverment is working with music companys this close together? Really seems bit suspicious.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Money, and Gordo could do with a few quid, as we all know.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
is it just music they are picking up on, or are they just monitoring you download usage?

I don't download music illegally, i use i-tunes and pay for it, but i do download TV stuff and movies

Yaka

Part of the furniture
this piracy thing thing is a tad ott by the media. play.com,hmv,amazon etc have made a bigger profit on cds, dvds and games. if everyone was a pirate then that would not be happening

Uara

Part of the furniture
The government only stepped in to make a compromise between the music industry and the ISP's, essentially the ISP's didnt want to lose valuable paying customers to the extreme demands by the BMI who wanted to ban people instantly they downloaded something illegally. So essentially they were in a stalemate until the gov't stepped in to sort them out.

DaGaffer

this piracy thing thing is a tad ott by the media. play.com,hmv,amazon etc have made a bigger profit on cds, dvds and games. if everyone was a pirate then that would not be happening

Who told you that? Games are the only area where profits are increasing; with CDs and DVDs they're keeping their head above water but they hardly make any profit per unit anymore, the margins are tiny.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Given the shit quality of clipped CDs, I have little sympathy.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
How come UK goverment is working with music companys this close together? Really seems bit suspicious.

It's better than that. This is a decision from the EU - our unelected, corrupt federal government.

UK.gov is just trying to jump the barrel and beat them to it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Who told you that? Games are the only area where profits are increasing; with CDs and DVDs they're keeping their head above water but they hardly make any profit per unit anymore, the margins are tiny.

Maybe they should stop churning out rubbish and expecting people to pay 20-30 for 1.5 hours worth of entertainment then? :) More than happy to spend £15 or so on a film I would want to watch again, think the last film i bought where i thought it was actually worth the money was lord of the rings.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
The whole music dowloading situation is clearly the music industry's own fault. I remember when they charged £4 for a single which was basically one song remixed 3 times. Then napster came along and rather than pay £4 for a song you heard on the radio and took a liking to, you could just download it and delete it when you taste changed.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Well, the good news is that I'm not actually with any of those networks, I'd usually go for smaller ones and ask them about this stuff beforehand. I'm currently with THREE, so they expect me not to download anything huge due to the limit I've got (so I don't.. I have friends download anything I need :D)

It's a pretty shite situation. They just need to get CHEAP digitial distribution out there, which won't happen.

If they ban it, people will find ways... Everyone knows torrent programmers > Government/ISP programmers :p

DaGaffer

Maybe they should stop churning out rubbish and expecting people to pay 20-30 for 1.5 hours worth of entertainment then? :) More than happy to spend £15 or so on a film I would want to watch again, think the last film i bought where i thought it was actually worth the money was lord of the rings.

Here we go again. Yeah, its so rubbish that everyone pirates it but at the same time its not worth anything. And when was the last time DVDs cost £20-£30? I'll tell you what, the next time you go to a restaurant or the cinema and then say you're not going to pay because it wasn't worth it, and you have the video to prove it, then I'll listen to your bullshit, otherwise shut up about the price of video and stump up the cash tightwad.

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
This is a godsend opportunity for the isp's, they are losing money on heavy downloads, the fact that these people are downloading according to their unlimited accounts is by the by, it's a golden opp to fuck those heavy users off, those who think the isp's will lose/alienate custom are seriously disillusioned. Despite what they advertise it pisses them off if you actually meet those demands

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Here we go again. Yeah, its so rubbish that everyone pirates it but at the same time its not worth anything. And when was the last time DVDs cost £20-£30? I'll tell you what, the next time you go to a restaurant or the cinema and then say you're not going to pay because it wasn't worth it, and you have the video to prove it, then I'll listen to your bullshit, otherwise shut up about the price of video and stump up the cash tightwad.

Thats not quite what i said :) I am more than happy to pay to see a film (I don't "do" cinema no matter what film it is because of the idiot public coughing, talking, needing the loo, laughing, rustling and generally being irritating) and always buy a film after I have downloaded it if it is good.

Take a quick look on this list Blu-ray - New Releases - Play.com (UK) - Free Delivery how many of them would you watch more than once? everyone knows Hollywood is in free fall, both in writing ability and acting ability £18 for 3 hours (if you watch it twice) worth of entertainment? no thanks

DaGaffer

Thats not quite what i said :) I am more than happy to pay to see a film (I don't "do" cinema no matter what film it is because of the idiot public coughing, talking, needing the loo, laughing, rustling and generally being irritating) and always buy a film after I have downloaded it if it is good.

Take a quick look on this list Blu-ray - New Releases - Play.com (UK) - Free Delivery how many of them would you watch more than once? everyone knows Hollywood is in free fall, both in writing ability and acting ability £18 for 3 hours (if you watch it twice) worth of entertainment? no thanks

I'd buy about nine of them; except I wouldn't bother getting them on Blu-Ray because I just don't think there's a big enough step up from upscaled DVDs.

As for whether Hollywood is shit or not; I see the same comments about music, but once again its curious about how much downloading of all that shit quality music is going on. I've said it before and I'll say it again; you don't have a right to be entertained; you don't have a right to watch a movie and then decide if you want to pay for it. If you don't want to go to the cinema, fine, but that doesn't mean the world owes you an alternate distribution channel. If I download stuff I know why I'm doing it, and there's none of this hypocritical bullshit. As it happens I only download stuff that's simply physically not available in the UK, and I only do that because if I wait 3-6 months for it to come on telly, the internet and the rest of the media will have spoilered it to death for me. However, I'm not pretending what I do is ethical or right, but I'm cool with that.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
If I download a film or some music that I really like I don't buy it afterwards, thats just mental talk!

I honestly don't believe people watch a film that was downloaded, enjoy it then rush out to buy it the next day. The human mind doesn't work like that.

An honest thing would be to just admit that why the fuck would you buy when you already have it, if you want the covers then they can be downloaded and if you want the fancy disc then buy a disc printer.

Hey at least I'm honest, and after being right royally crippled by pirating when I was in the video rental business and totally unprotected by FACT I couldn't care less about the industry.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Actually, I downloaded Supreme Commander initially and played through quite a bit. Thought it was a thoroughly fantastic game then bought it. I had/have no intention of going online with it so there was no need for me to buy it, but I did anyway.

That said there's times every now and then that I download shit I would have paid for, then don't.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Quite, I don't download any PC games at all anymore I am still very picky about what i buy though. As for the films, yes I do watch them once and buy them if they are good because I like to have the full product. Music I will DL a few tracks and if i like them buy the album.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Lol nice find Tom.

Who the fuck are BuchCherry?

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Who the fuck are BuchCherry?
Well duh, thats the whole point.

If anyone had ever heard of them they wouldnt be desperately trying to persuade people to download their tunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom