Looking for links dealing with DSL connections and Gaming

N

natrat

Lo chaps,

I'm after any links to articles that discuss the benefits and pitfalls of DSL connections for online gaming. Individual testimonial would be handy but I'm after a more general technical coverage. I remember an article linked from BW news some time ago, but as they haven't got around to imeplemnting a search function (lazy buggers they are) I can't find it.

Everything I've read so far suggests that therei sn othing about the technology itself that should rpevent good fast gaming, rather it is the way the ISP's implement it and restrict it (NAT, firewalls, filters etc) that screw it for gaming, and a good ISP will give oyu a good connection.

cheers,
natrat@barrysworld.com

O

old.QorbeQ

Not strictly speaking useful, but the thing that always, errm "scared" me about gaming on DSL was the sharing of the bandwidth (in the UK anyway...). 2Mb/20 (business stylee) ain't too bad but 512k/50 (home-user stylee) would give you 10kbit/sec worst case (if several other ppl decided to leech the entire microsoft site, or summut) which would obviously have quite an impact on the game side.

Anything you find out would be interesting... upcoming article?

O

old.QorbeQ

One other thing that just occurred - if your DSL connection goes crap for gaming for whatever reason (short-term congestion, long-term oversubscription, network faults, new firewall policies, whatever) you can't just "dial somewhere else" and carry on like before...

Again, not anecdotal or anything, just thinking out loud...

N

natrat

It's actually for work but now you mention it i could put the info together for a column if people aren't sick of hearing about DSL but seeing nothing already :)

that speedguide site was very helpful, cheers for that.

I actually was on BT's trial myself 2 years ago when i lived in London so I have personal experience with one connection, but i was looking more for ageneral technical overview.

cheers,
natrat

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom