Looking for best widescreen monitor

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Okay, Ive come into a little money from a bonus and I want to buy a good widesceen monitor for gaming DVDs etc. I have about £800.00 so Im thinking of the Dell 24 inch. Does anyone know of a better monitor than this of this size. I know BenQ do something similar but I dont have a feel for it.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Dell are soon to replace their current lineup with monitors that support HDCP. Wait till then. If you are getting the 24" Dell, then ebay have some good prices. Although a lot of e-tailers seem to have it now as well.

It is the daddy of monitors though.

Clown

Part of the furniture
800 quid on a widescreen monitor, and then 800 quid on graphics cards to game at that resolution. Yeah.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Actually I already have the SLi , but my monitors naff.
I think it acepts input by component cable so it supports HD but I guess you're talking about the next big thing.
How long until its out?

I think I can get the Dell at just a shade over £700 but the money wont be availiable till month end so I
'll see whats around then

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
£700? Rip Off.

I paid £650 over 6 months ago. Aim for £590ish now.

It supports un-encrypted HD over the component,

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Its funny I looked at the Dell site and on one page it was over £700 and on a different link it was £599.

Unencrypted HD, so it should be okay for my XBOX360.

I know the new Vista OS supports that new encryption so maybe I should hang back a bit

Yaka

Part of the furniture
its great for 360. according to rumours dell shall be clearing the 2407 at a lower price when the 2407 come out. but atm ebay seems the best place to get em price wise. so if you want one now get it from a dude called ericbunny he offers no deadpixel and backlight probs garentee.

some shots of pgr3 over component

DSC00749.JPG

DSC00746.JPG

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yup, I bought mine from ericbunny too. Full UK 3 year warrenty from Dell, he tests for and gaurentees no dead pixels and charges a very competitive price. Like Yaks said though, the current model will crash in price once the hdcp capable one comes out. 360 over compnent on this monitor is amazing though.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Be a bit careful though as ericbunny does charge VAT separately, (I thought that wasn't allowed on eBay), so his 'Buy it Now' price is actually the best part of £100 less than you'll actually pay.

Still cheaper than Dell or Aria, but not as big a difference as it may look.

RB

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Hmm... When I bought it he included VAT in the price, not seperetly.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
yeah i never paid vat on anything i got off him before. but yes it seems like he charges vat now.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
for all my shit i got off him, he did provide vat recipts for em all so who knows

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its illegal for a VAT registered business to issue invoices without net, vat, gross figures, and a vat-reg number.

I would imagine this includes Ebay invoices as well. So any business that sells you an item cannot then charge you extra for the VAT IMO.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks for the help. Im still a bit concerned about buying at the point where it'll be less use when Vista turns up. I think I may upgrade my cpu with that money instead (FX60) and hold on the monitor.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
SawTooTH said:
Im still a bit concerned about buying at the point where it'll be less use when Vista turns up.

Maybe a stupid question, but is there some aspect of Vista that will make some monitors obsolete? Or am I reading this wrong?

RB

Yaka

Part of the furniture
vista requires a monitor with either HDCP encyption over dvi or hdmi ports. atm only 3 tope end monitors support that.

dell 2407 should be out on the 24th apprently

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Is that to run certain features or to run at all?

Surely no one would upgrade to an OS that requires an expensive monitor upgrade as well.

RB

Ormorof

FH is my second home
hehe so loike 90% of the world are screwed? :p

(would like to see them trying to sell that line to colleges/schools/businesses around the world tbh :p )

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Its only relevant if you want to watch HD DVD. Normal monitors are fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom