Longshot windows hanging during bootup at "Applying Computer Settings"

Vae

Resident Freddy
Ok I think this is a long shot but in case anyone has any ideas:

Lenovo T61 laptop working fine in and out of the office for 6 months+ Been out of the office a couple of weeks and was fine but then was docked back into the office network and now hangs everytime during bootup. Network is a local domain using SBS2003 on the server.

If the network cable is in it will hang at "applying computer settings".
If no network cable then you can Ctrl-alt-del to log in but it will then hang at "applying personal settings"

It will boot into safe mode with networking fine with no delays though and looking at the event viewer I can see Error 5719 Netlogon "No domain controller is available from domain xxxxxxxx due to the following: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request"

Attempted solutions:

Changing IP to static from DHCP and giving it an address reservation in DHCP
Changing computer name
Disable Location Awareness Service on the laptop
Leave and rejoin domain
Logon with different profiles in case it was a corrupt profile
"netsh interface up reset ipreset.txt"
"netsh firewall reset"
"netsh winsock reset"
Winsockipfix.exe
Disabling and reinstalling the network card

It definitely appears to be an issue with communicating with the server but I'm not sure what else to try :(

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Getting stuck at applying computer settings tells me it gets stuck when retrieving policies from the DC.

1. Can you make sure the OU it is in gets just the basic domain policy? Or just move it to a simple root OU, without any special policies that you might have applying to it.

2. Then please go to C:\Windows\security\database and delete secedit.sdb (that's where cached policies reside, that is being checked against the DC policies -- it will be re-created upon gpupdate)

3. I know you tried logging in with different profiles, but sometimes shit happens and windows will re-route you to the TEMP profile, regardless of the account you're trying to login to. If that environment is corrupt...

Try going into registry, searching for the string 'profilelist' and identify the SID for your account, make sure the profile path correctly reflects the path on the disk.

Try these steps 1st, and see if it helps.

Vae

Resident Freddy
Osy thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to test them for about a week because the user's gone back to Austria because he's just got news that his father's died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom