Help Long shot uPVC windows

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
How do you remove the frame with minimal damage to everything else

See he link photo from my drop box .. i got a window that is now into my conservatory and want to remove it

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28387775/2013-01-03 15.24.23.jpg

replace it with some wood around the gap or something to make it a nicer hatch type style from the kitchen to the conservatory ..

I have taken the units out .. and the window opening bit its the frame thats sticking me

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
It looks as if its been plastered on the out side, so as long as you don't want the frame, the best thing to do is cut it out, probably with a hacksaw as there will probably be a metal reinforcement inside the PVC frame..cut out the centre mullion first then cut out a chunk out of the bottom and top edge say around 300mm so you can pull the 2 sides inwards on themselves. Also cut around the inside and outside edges of the frame with a Stanley knife so you don't lose too much of the plaster work when the frame come away from the wall

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
yeah the outside was plastered when i had the conservatory done .. theres no secret trick for removing them .. are they usually stuck in with adhesive or something ?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Either expanding foam or bolts..you should see large crosshead bolts around the inside of the frame

Edmond

Sorry, i thought you had already removed the fixing screws. If you cant see any then as Job says, it may have been held in with expanding foam, or depending on how old the house is (10-15yrs) it may be held in with cavity cleats. This is when the window has had metal or plastic strap clipped to the outside edge of its frame and then they are screwed or nailed into the the inside skin of the house wall, then it gets plastered over. If this is the case then unforunatly it will blow the inside plasterwork, so it will need making good

Where are you?

rynnor

Rockhound
Hmm - are there any issues about support when removing these in what is a main structural wall?

Edmond

Hmm - are there any issues about support when removing these in what is a main structural wall?
It's an original external window, it will have a lintel above it

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I'm sure I will have a go. It's not an original window as they were single glazed so I doubt it's tied in as it was a council job so it's prob foam stuff as there are no bolts through the frame. It's an 80's house so pretty sure there's a lintel there.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Edmond said:
It's an original external window, it will have a lintel above it

Common misconception with properties is that it's ok to do shizzle without checking. People change window types thinking it will make no difference but it does as with all these thing you should check with someone qualified first, i.e. get an engineer out. Frankly it's worth a couple of hundred quid to get the benefit of someone else's PI insurance.

rynnor

Rockhound
A question I would ask would be have you ever seen any signs of cracks from the top corners of the window proceeding at 45 degrees away from the window - perhaps before you plastered it?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
no no cracks whatso ever and there were lintels above the other windows it was an exterior wall before and neither the inside or the outside had cracks :)

Edmond

Its a pvc window in there, so it has already been changed at some point. He said it was an 80's house, and i'm sure he doesnt mean 1680, it would have been built with lintels other wise you would have known about it long before now

I do this for a living btw

Last edited:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
hehe whats your job i might have some ;) off the books work for you ;)

Edmond

I run my own window company, we do replacement windows, doors and conservatories and basically anything to do with glass. Sorry i though people knew that

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
didnt know that .. which company are you .. :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I do this for a living btw
Not saying you don't amigo, just saying somebody elses PI insurance provides cover should something go wrong. Also worth bearing in mind that if the property needs selling in the future this might negatively effect the thermal performance (I'm assuming that's the front door in the picture?)

Edmond

If he were to be taking the widow out and making the opening wider, then yes he would have to change the lintel as it would be structurally altering the building and a building notice would be needed from the relevent local authority, a building inspector comes and checks its all done properly.

But he is only taking out and already replaced, replacement window. Yes there are rules if you take doors and windows out when a conservatory is originally built, because the conservatory then becomes part of the house as you cant shut it off (thermally) You are then into uping the 'u' value of the glass in the windows and roof of the conservatoty to meet the building regs.

Doing it after the job is signed off is down to the owner and they are paying the heating bill at the end of the day. People do it all the time and when they come to sell they put the doors or window back in.

Trust me, the house is not going to fall down because a window has been taken out, its not a structual item on a modern house, its not holding anything up.

Last edited:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yeah if we had the window taken out when the conservatory was put in it meant lots of other stuffs needing sorted out. I'm not changing the hole just making it nicer looking and taking the window out. As said if I was to sell the house it's pretty cheap just to get a unit put backin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom