Long commutes

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I have a job in York now and it's a fair old drive. What do people do to pass the time in the car ?

(not got much time to check FH atm :/)

eksdee

FH is my second home
I listen to podcasts or Radio 4, or use it as an incentive to listen to new music you've never heard before. I always find listening to a new record passes more time than something I've heard a hundred times before. Podcasts are definitely the best for killing time though imo.

Starman

Part of the furniture
Same for me really - But generally prefer LBC 97.3 for my talk station in the mornings. Failing that Podcasts via Bluetooth.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If I had a commute like that I'd just move. Fuck driving on the M62 anywhere near rush hour.

I do a lot of driving but not to any one place. This Saturday I'm in Sunderland, then on Sunday I'm in Donnington. Thursday I might have been in Norfolk but that got cancelled.

I find that Radios 4 and 5 sort me out, else there's always the CDs.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Been driving from Nottingham to Barclays in Knutsford (you went past it the other day on your bike ride Tom). Bout an hour and 40 each way (and 30 quid a day).

I've done a course of beginners spanish whilst I've been workin' there. Not even bothered wanging some spanish on the ipod. I'm a lazy lazy waster and genuinely loathe myself for the waste of life whilst at the same time don't get why I don't do anything about it. :eek7:

Anyway, radio 5, radio 3, classicfm and occasional radio 4. I figure it's a better use of my time to see if the texts I write at 110mph will get read out on the radio....

/shrugs

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Live to work or work to live.

I work 10 mins from my house. Winning!

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Been driving from Nottingham to Barclays in Knutsford (you went past it the other day on your bike ride Tom). Bout an hour and 40 each way (and 30 quid a day).

I've done a course of beginners spanish whilst I've been workin' there. Not even bothered wanging some spanish on the ipod. I'm a lazy lazy waster and genuinely loathe myself for the waste of life whilst at the same time don't get why I don't do anything about it. :eek7:

Anyway, radio 5, radio 3, classicfm and occasional radio 4. I figure it's a better use of my time to see if the texts I write at 110mph will get read out on the radio....

/shrugs

A friend of mine works there.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Brighouse to York is what... 40-45 mins? That's not that bad, is it? I know somebody who goes from near Romsey to central London every day, now that is a commute. :\

soze

I am a FH squatter
I listen to Jay and SIlent Bob Get Old and Hollywood Babylon.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
It takes me about 40 minutes to roll 12 miles up the M8. I should get the train.

/waits for Tom to shout "CYCLE" :p

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Brighouse to York is what... 40-45 mins? That's not that bad, is it? I know somebody who goes from near Romsey to central London every day, now that is a commute. :\

40-45 ?? With no traffic and generous amounts of speeding at 3:00am maybe. I'm heading through the busiest part of the M62 though and then going into the centre of York. Never gonna get a best-case scenario there :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
How long does it take? For a while I commuted Brighton -> London every day, that was pretty bad.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ok that was based on my knowledge of the amount of distance between the two, not exactly a real-world scenario. :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
How long does it take? For a while I commuted Brighton -> London every day, that was pretty bad.

Between an hour and an hour and a half so far. Not had any roadworks or accidents to get past so far though :)

Helme

Resident Freddy
I commute by train so I do a lot of reading, but I think that'd be kind of dangerous unless you hire a chauffeur. So audiobooks?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Between an hour and an hour and a half so far. Not had any roadworks or accidents to get past so far though :)

That's about what I have now roughly speaking. Pubic transport though so I get to read and listen to music.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
When I was at Triumph it was 45 mins there and 45 back every day, which is the longest commute I've had.

It was a pain in the arse.

All I did to pass the time was me Ipod on my cars stereo and Radio4.

The great dilemma I had was that using the car was horribly expensive on fuel, and using my bike just added stacks of miles to it.

I just got another job instead :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yeah, I deliberately travel off-peak so there's a maximum chance.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
When I was at Triumph it was 45 mins there and 45 back every day, which is the longest commute I've had.

It was a pain in the arse.

All I did to pass the time was me Ipod on my cars stereo and Radio4.

The great dilemma I had was that using the car was horribly expensive on fuel, and using my bike just added stacks of miles to it.

I just got another job instead :)

Fucks sake, you live in the South-East, everyone's commute is 45 minutes. Its the law.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I masturbate to pass the time, obv. Also...45 mins? Fuck off Wij...come back when you've a commute worth complaining about :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I just don't understand why anyone would want to commute anywhere. What's the point in working when, by the time you get home you are too knackered to do anything and are already looking at the clock because you know you have to be up early to get back to work the next day.

no thanks.

Calo

Part of the furniture
It depends What job you have, if you are like a consultant, like Junior BI consultant then you have to go where you have a project. Sometimes its 20mins driving, sometimes an hour.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Used to go from gatwick to reading was up to 2.5 hours each way cause of traffic nrly killed me so I moved ASAP lol. Apart from that radio 2 or audio books as already said

Rubric

Part of the furniture

/shrugs

Not just the time dude, but at 30 quid a day that's like £600 a month. You could rent an additional flat closer to work for cheaper than that.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
I just don't understand why anyone would want to commute anywhere. What's the point in working when, by the time you get home you are too knackered to do anything and are already looking at the clock because you know you have to be up early to get back to work the next day.

no thanks.

It's not a case of want, it's a case of must.

What Wazz said.

Remember me? Out of work for 14 months, got a job and now have a 90 minute commute each way.

Yes, most of my income now goes on fuel, but I'm still better off with the commute than signing on.

Am I going to look for a job closer to home? Yes, I am.

Am I going to give up this job before I find another closer one? No chance, I need the money. I'll put up with the commute for now.

Chilly

Balls of steel
takes me 20 mins to get to work, two stops on the tube and a short walk either end. I'd move, Wij.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom