News Lol! From the horses mouth :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Maybe the sacking would be harsh ;)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Older people moaning about spelling.

You don't represent your entire generation.

Just because you can spell doesn't mean that everyone that you went to school can.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Just because you can spell doesn't mean that everyone that you went to school can.

You couldn't make this stuff up :m00:

All of the people arguing that spelling and grammar are unimportant do so for clearly obvious reasons. My spelling is not always perfect but if one is taking the time to argue a point on a thread about education one should take the time not to sound like you left school at 11.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I missed a word, I didn't spell anything wrong.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Older people moaning about spelling.

You don't represent your entire generation.

I missed a word, I didn't spell anything wrong.

Clearly effort has been shown by the education stakeholder in the matter of missing words vs common sense, forthwith we hand you an A*.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I finished school nearly 15 years ago and I can't spell for shit. I do try because I believe that the English language should be used in its correct form. I rely quite heavily on the spell checker in Firefox, word, outlook etc. I always spell check my emails at work before I send them. It really pisses me off when I get a work email with spelling mistakes in it or when one of my colleagues sends something with poor spelling or grammar.

I am good at my job, I work on construction contracts and finance and my poor spelling doesn't really effect it, I spend a lot of time reading pretty complex English, contract wording, construction law and whatnot I read a lot outside of work too, history books, fiction etc but for some reason I just can't spell, I have a big problem with mixing my vowels up. These days I could probably shout dyslexia and get a A* :p

*Disclaimer. I haven't spellchecked this as its on my parents in-law laptop and they don't have the spellchecker installed on firefox :)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nggggggggghhhh!!!

*doesn't post*

Jeros

Part of the furniture
btw before you blame my spelling and grammer on the state, my primary education was private ;)

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Although I too get annoyed with people use bad english, grammar etc. when I think about it, as long as the message is communicated accurately, what is the problem?

Not like our brain processes every single letter of every single word. Spelling matters for what reason thus? To keep the older generation happy? Fuck the older generation, language expands and develops over time -> its evolution but for words as opposed to people.

As for the old debate of old vs. new; were the old teaching days better than the new etc. I've looked at economic papers from years ago for A2 - they are the same difficulty as the ones now. Maths granted was somewhat harder; but more because they introduced hard topics early, whereas such topics exist in Further Maths only now. Geography seemed about the same difficulty at AS. Hell, a lot of my teachers used exam papers from ages ago simply to give us more practice, so they must be compatible with exams today. The new GCSE specifications brought in however, are complete shite!

The intelligence of children isn't the problem, but the fact that students are tailored to exams is. I am awful at English at A-Level - I got C's consistently throughout the year because my teacher marked my work as it should be marked. However, I was smart and checked out how the marks are awarded in the exam. Low and behold, with a tiny bit of revision I came out with full marks in both exams. THAT is the problem.

Exams aren't necessarily getting easier, they are just easier to prepare for now and seem to 'dance' around subjects whereas my observation of old style papers is very much 'here's the question - answer it bitch!'

And if my grammar/spelling sucked in any of that - feel free to underline it and point it out so I can pretend I care ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom